flyingcement

NIL Issues in Happy Valley?

21 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Wait so Yianni is basically getting NIL money through the RTC?   Isn’t this exactly the type of gray area people were afraid of?

How is this getting money through an RTC?  I would imagine that you would have to be a big enough YD fan to order an item of apparel with his name on it for him to benefit.  I don't think that is going to be a ton of people.  I also don't think money is coming directly from an RTC.

2 hours ago, dman115 said:

Not saying someone should or shouldn't be afraid of it, but rather I don't understand what would be cause for concern?

This seems to be opening the door for, say, NLWC, to offer NIL deals...

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

How is this getting money through an RTC?  I would imagine that you would have to be a big enough YD fan to order an item of apparel with his name on it for him to benefit.  I don't think that is going to be a ton of people.  I also don't think money is coming directly from an RTC.

The gear is being sold on the RTC website, correct?

27 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I love Yianni, but his clothes are horrible. And if you wear them in public, everyone would want to know who or what Yianni is.

At which time you get labeled a dork for wearing a college kid's NIL line of clothing. 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

This seems to be opening the door for, say, NLWC, to offer NIL deals...

The gear is being sold on the RTC website, correct?

No, it is not.  It is sold on an apparel/wrestling site.  The site does indeed sponsor the RTC that operates out of Cornell.  However, it also hold tournaments in Florida and sponsors athletes unaffiliated with the Cornell site:  Nate Jackson and David Carr stand out.  I believe Spartan also may be sponsoring Wisconsin RTC soon?  

It is a brand that started with obstacle races and now is involved with wrestling. I expect them to get involved with BJJ and maybe MMA in the future.

Edited by AHamilton

11 hours ago, AHamilton said:

No, it is not.  It is sold on an apparel/wrestling site.  The site does indeed sponsor the RTC that operates out of Cornell.  However, it also hold tournaments in Florida and sponsors athletes unaffiliated with the Cornell site:  Nate Jackson and David Carr stand out.  I believe Spartan also may be sponsoring Wisconsin RTC soon?  

It is a brand that started with obstacle races and now is involved with wrestling. I expect them to get involved with BJJ and maybe MMA in the future.

Ok I guess you’re right, but only because it appears the Spartan Combat RTC doesn’t even have a website (googling it takes you to the same overall Spartan link which has RTC gear as one of the options). 

I noticed the David Carr link as well.  But there’s no potential conflict there since Carr doesn’t compete for a school affiliated with the brand.  Still seems like a gray area to me for Cornell athletes.  But then again RTC’s as a whole are a gray area and I’m no expert on NIL.   Are Oregon athletes able to get NIL deals from Nike?

According to this, players cannot sign their own shoe deals with companies that sponsor the university - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/30/blackistone-ncaa-nil/

I know the argument will be the RTC is “not affiliated with the university,” but that just goes back to the gray area of RTC’s in general, which use university facilities and share coaches, yet somehow can claim they’re not affiliated.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Are Oregon athletes able to get NIL deals from Nike?

Sure. Why not?

Unless there is something in the sponsorship deal with the school that would allow the school to block individual deals. But it feels like Nike/Phil Knight hold all the cards in that relationship, so I would be surprised if Nike did not do individual deals with Oregon athletes.

The whole "never wear the same football uniform twice" deal was clearly designed to be a recruiting tool that got around the old rule set. I expect them to update their approach based on the new rule set. And see no reason why they should not.

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Sure. Why not?

Unless there is something in the sponsorship deal with the school that would allow the school to block individual deals. But it feels like Nike/Phil Knight hold all the cards in that relationship, so I would be surprised if Nike did not do individual deals with Oregon athletes.

The whole "never wear the same football uniform twice" deal was clearly designed to be a recruiting tool that got around the old rule set. I expect them to update their approach based on the new rule set. And see no reason why they should not.

I think according to the link I posted after that, they can’t.

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I noticed the David Carr link as well.  But there’s no potential conflict there since Carr doesn’t compete for a school affiliated with the brand.  Still seems like a gray area to me for Cornell athletes.  But then again RTC’s as a whole are a gray area and I’m no expert on NIL.   Are Oregon athletes able to get NIL deals from Nike?

What do you mean "conflict?'

It is legal to be paid for name, image, and likeness. I don't get how this would be a problem.

33 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

What do you mean "conflict?'

It is legal to be paid for name, image, and likeness. I don't get how this would be a problem.

Because Spartan is the name sponsor of the RTC, which uses Cornell facilities and coaches despite being “not affiliated” with Cornell.

Accoridng to the link I posted, it seems like brands that sponsor the school can not have separate NIL deals with the school’s athletes.   Again, I know the argument is that Spartan is sponsoring the RTC and not the school, but that just goes back to RTC’s already operating in a gray area.

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I think according to the link I posted after that, they can’t.

Yes, that appears to still be the case so Phil K ight has come up with at least two creative work arounds. One is a branding agency/advisory firm for Oregon athletes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2021/09/30/phil-knight-and-former-nike-execs-launch-oregon-focused-nil-company/amp/

And the other is working with their best football player to mint NFTs:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.palmbeachpost.com/amp/7898698002

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Because Spartan is the name sponsor of the RTC, which uses Cornell facilities and coaches despite being “not affiliated” with Cornell.

Accoridng to the link I posted, it seems like brands that sponsor the school can not have separate NIL deals with the school’s athletes.   Again, I know the argument is that Spartan is sponsoring the RTC and not the school, but that just goes back to RTC’s already operating in a gray area.

They are also supposedly sponsoring the Wisconsin RTC.

13 hours ago, AHamilton said:

They are also supposedly sponsoring the Wisconsin RTC.

All I see is this where they made some t-shirts.

Also just noticed the Spartan Combat website has a link for "Cornell Wrestling" - so much for not affiliated with the school (although the only thing under it is a "Kyle Dake singlet" -  https://spartancombat.com/collections/cornell-wrestling

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

All I see is this where they made some t-shirts.

Also just noticed the Spartan Combat website has a link for "Cornell Wrestling" - so much for not affiliated with the school (although the only thing under it is a "Kyle Dake singlet" -  https://spartancombat.com/collections/cornell-wrestling

I also have a link for Cornell Wrestling.  I am not affiliated with the school whatsoever.

I have been as critical of Yianni as anyone, and I see absolutely no issue with him having an apparel deal with a sporting goods company that also runs tournaments and organizes races.  I'm not sure why you think it is a problem.  I am not interested in purchasing his gear, but I hope he makes some money off of it.

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I guess the general thinking should be - we want wrestlers to be able to MAXIMIZE their NIL which would be a boost for interest into a sport which has had limited financial opportunities in the past due to a lack of professional league.  

Are the folks doing the, "general thinking" grown ups?