Mr. Poopy butthole

Is Spencer Lee the Best Iowa Hawkeye Athlete Ever?

I don't understand how this could be. I am a huge Lee fan, and my son loves him, but how can he be the best Hawkeye athlete ever? I am not sure you could say he is the best Hawkeye wrestler ever. He has taken multiple losses throughout his career, hasn't stepped foot on an international mat since arriving at Iowa, and he is coming off a serious injury. He may not win his 4th title, and we may never see him on an international mat again. While a lot of this is due to injury, it still has happened, and that has to be taken into account. 

2 hours ago, snapspinscore said:

I don't understand how this could be. I am a huge Lee fan, and my son loves him, but how can he be the best Hawkeye athlete ever? I am not sure you could say he is the best Hawkeye wrestler ever. He has taken multiple losses throughout his career, hasn't stepped foot on an international mat since arriving at Iowa, and he is coming off a serious injury. He may not win his 4th title, and we may never see him on an international mat again. While a lot of this is due to injury, it still has happened, and that has to be taken into account. 

This was originally a duplicate of one of Flaker Cinnabon's threads. I copied it and posted it minutes after he put his thread up because I was irritated and didn't want him to get attention. So, my opinion wasn't that Spencer was the best Hawkeye athlete ever.

I don't disagree with anything you said, though I think you're projecting more doom and gloom ("we may never see him on an international mat again") than I am. Hopefully you're wrong.

Spencer tore his other ACL in the match with Jack Mueller his sophomore year. If it weren't for that, we'd probably see him at trials that year. In either case, after a year of rehab he came back his Junior year and was more dominant than ever - easily winning senior nationals. The missing ACL didn't seem to be a hindrance. Were it not for Covid, he'd probably compete at oly trials that year.

We'll see how he does this year. Hopefully, his rehab on the other knee proves as effective as it was after his sophomore year. If he does end up winning his 4th this year, and especially if he wins his 3rd(!) Hodge trophy, I'd argue that makes him Iowa's best collegiate wrestler, even with a relatively lower winning % than others. 

It's Barry Davis- had better competition ( let's face it...Spencer is whooping up on people with no knees)- Joe McFarland and Kevin Darkus- both World Silver medalists.

Also, Barry was an Olympic Silver medalist while still matriculating at Iowa, and is the winningest Hawk ever.

15 minutes ago, BadgerMon said:

It's Barry Davis- had better competition ( let's face it...Spencer is whooping up on people with no knees)- Joe McFarland and Kevin Darkus- both World Silver medalists.

Also, Barry was an Olympic Silver medalist while still matriculating at Iowa, and is the winningest Hawk ever.

But Spencer never found a Hy-Vee!

2 hours ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

This was originally a duplicate of one of Flaker Cinnabon's threads. I copied it and posted it minutes after he put his thread up because I was irritated and didn't want him to get attention. So, my opinion wasn't that Spencer was the best Hawkeye athlete ever.

I don't disagree with anything you said, though I think you're projecting more doom and gloom ("we may never see him on an international mat again") than I am. Hopefully you're wrong.

Spencer tore his other ACL in the match with Jack Mueller his sophomore year. If it weren't for that, we'd probably see him at trials that year. In either case, after a year of rehab he came back his Junior year and was more dominant than ever - easily winning senior nationals. The missing ACL didn't seem to be a hindrance. Were it not for Covid, he'd probably compete at oly trials that year.

We'll see how he does this year. Hopefully, his rehab on the other knee proves as effective as it was after his sophomore year. If he does end up winning his 4th this year, and especially if he wins his 3rd(!) Hodge trophy, I'd argue that makes him Iowa's best collegiate wrestler, even with a relatively lower winning % than others. 

I hope I am wrong too about his international future. Again, I am a Lee fan through and through, and I really do think he could have won Olympic Gold this year, if he was healthy enough to go to trials. 

3 hours ago, BadgerMon said:

How do you put him ahead of Tom Brands, who was a Gold medalist?

On 9/20/2021 at 2:35 PM, NJDan said:

How do you put him ahead of Tom Brands, who was a Gold medalist?

Barry made 2 Olympic teams to Tom's 1, didn't have to red-shirt to earn a spot as a freshman,  lost to an all-timer for his Olympic Silver (Tomiyama) , and had two World Silver medalists that he hammered on regularly during his collegiate run.

Brands wrestled an incredible Atlanta Olympics and that's a given. Both had unreal motors.

If you are going strictly on Iowa Hawkeye stats...then it's the other South Dakota Kid...Lincoln McIlravy! 

And I think you could put Eddie Banach in there as well,  given his weight class at 177 was pretty competitive.