portajohn

Willie's Earth Shattering News

2 hours ago, jross said:

Q: Can I still get the COVID-19 vaccine if I receive monoclonal antibodies?
A: Yes, but you should wait 90 days after monoclonal antibody treatment to get the vaccine as a precautionary measure, as the antibody treatment may interfere with vaccine-induced immune responses.

My friend was recently sick for 6 days before going to the ER and being effectively treated with monoclonal antibodies.  By the time it is appropriate for him to get vaccinated, he will be terminated from government employment.

That's different from having merely accumulated antibodies from having had Covid before.  But every vaccine mandate I've seen has a process for requesting accommodations, where here would be agreeing to the vaccine but deferring the shot until 90 days after antibody therapy.  Biden's EO requires agencies to develop a process for this.  I don't know what he's been telling you but the odds of him getting fired if he requests a deferral on this basis are pretty much 0% as he'd otherwise have a wrongful term claim.

Edited by BAC

32 minutes ago, dman115 said:

I support the two coaches in whatever their decision is and for whatever reason they have...it is still a free country and with freedom comes differences in thoughts and opinions, which we are slowly becoming less and less okay with as a country...which should scare everyone...anyway, good luck wherever those two land as they are solid coaches.

So have they even officially been fired?  I thought Willie/Corby said they technically had until 10/1 but Mineo seems to be claiming it's done.  They're both still listed on the NU coaches list.

It might be hard for Howe and Kennedy to find jobs in the future. Their resignations come with baggage - deservingly or not, it just does. More and more schools will mandate this and we know what direction colleges lean on the political spectrum, but I am not trying to discuss that.

To give up a job in Big Ten Wrestling is like retiring from basketball after making the NBA All Star Team. They sacrificed so much for this. It is wild to care more about not getting a vaccine than they care about coaching in the Big Ten. 

2 hours ago, BAC said:

There is nothing “grey” about the fact that the vaccine enormously reduces the spread of the virus. There mere existence of breakthrough infections does not change this fact. There is nothing even remotely ambiguous about this.

Your friend is an idiot. There is not a shred of evidence that the vaccine is less safe if you already had covid. To the contrary it improves protection. Send him this link:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html

The coaches here are idiots too. Even if they end up getting the vaccine at the last minute they should probably still be fired for sheer stupidity, and for hurting the stability of the team and causing the transfer of their best recruits. 

Absolutely. I have my problems with my alma mater, but on this they are absolutely right. The first priority of educators is the welfare of students. Coaches (educators) who don't understand that have no place at any proper University. Evidently the concept of literally "taking one for the team" is lost on them!

36 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

We've got to get this thread back on track, guys. Does anybody have the data from the August LSAT yet?

No but if you have a 2.65gpa in high school you can get into either:

Northern University, Romania or

Northern University, Nowshera

and all credits will transfer & auto admit you to Northwestern - now NU.  :)

This is the way the system is supposed to work.  Kennedy and Howe don't have to get the vaccine.  They just have to get the vaccine if they want to work at Northwestern (or anyplace with more than 100 employees).  Good news, they can start their own wrestling school!

1 hour ago, juniorvarsity said:

To give up a job in Big Ten Wrestling is like retiring from basketball after making the NBA All Star Team. They sacrificed so much for this. It is wild to care more about not getting a vaccine than they care about coaching in the Big Ten. 

Makes me wonder if they wanted to leave anyways and used this as an opportunity to make a job change with commentary? Otherwise, I agree it makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Makes me wonder if they wanted to leave anyways and used this as an opportunity to make a job change with commentary? Otherwise, I agree it makes no sense.

If the reporting is accurate and they are refusing vaccination, that's not exactly a prime resume item for employment at most Universities. Too bad for them Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas etc. don't have wrestling programs.

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Isn't that what just happened in the most recent election?

Which ones caused several small businesses to fail (including my two favorite local restaurants), enabled big (the rich) businesses to flourish (walmart, amazon, etc.), and is coercing medical injections against millions of disagreeing citizens?  These near-zero risk coaches believe getting the vaccine is unnecessary for their own reasons and that is enough for me.  

Our forum bickering indicates this is extremely controversial and is why this is big news.  

Edited by jross

32 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

If the reporting is accurate and they are refusing vaccination, that's not exactly a prime resume item for employment at most Universities. Too bad for them Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas etc. don't have wrestling programs.

There are schools in conservative places.  Bellarmine, Campbell, Penn State, Lock Haven, Edinboro, Ohio U, Ohio State, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota State, etc

Edited by flyingcement

4 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

There are schools in conservative places.  Bellarmine, Campbell, Penn State, Lock Haven, Edinboro, Ohio U, Ohio State, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota State, etc

Don’t they all still have vaccine mandates (albeit with the testing opt out) from Bidens new order though? 

14 minutes ago, jross said:

Which ones caused several small businesses to fail (including my two favorite local restaurants), enabled big (the rich) businesses to flourish (walmart, amazon, etc.), and is coercing medical injections against millions of disagreeing citizens?  These near-zero risk coaches believe getting the vaccine is unnecessary for their own reasons and that is enough for me.  

Our forum bickering indicates this is extremely controversial and is why this is big news.  

The government has not coerced injections for private businesses. What has been proposed is vaccination OR testing. That OR matters.

Only government employees are required to get vaccinated.

But private companies have long coerced many things as condition of employment. This is no different. A private institution has a job requirement that the coaches were unwilling to meet. So they can no longer receive payment from the private institution. Seems pretty non-controversial.

Even more non-controversial is that this same type of condition has long been a requirement for the students. If you want to attend many schools you have to have up to date vaccinations for things like meningitis, measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis. 

Some people just like to get up in arms about stuff and make claims that are adjacent to the truth, but not quite the truth.

27 minutes ago, jross said:

Two Questions:

Are you under the impression that Walmart and Amazon are just now starting to flourish and drive small businesses out of business? 

If so, do you live in 2004?

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The government has not coerced injections for private businesses. What has been proposed is vaccination OR testing. That OR matters.

Only government employees are required to get vaccinated.

But private companies have long coerced many things as condition of employment. This is no different. A private institution has a job requirement that the coaches were unwilling to meet. So they can no longer receive payment from the private institution. Seems pretty non-controversial.

Even more non-controversial is that this same type of condition has long been a requirement for the students. If you want to attend many schools you have to have up to date vaccinations for things like meningitis, measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis. 

Some people just like to get up in arms about stuff and make claims that are adjacent to the truth, but not quite the truth.

dying of diphtheria is my god given right, SIR

On 9/20/2021 at 1:24 PM, Elevator said:

Seems like it is a level above personal political views.   If anyone on the team gets it, with quarantine, contact tracing, and other protocols, it puts the seasons and individual competitive events at risk over the refusal to take a few shots to protect the team and each member.   The opposite of the kind of leadership and culture you want to develop.      

The vaccine refusers baffle me in general but wrestling coaches, especially young ones who demonstrate moves, drill and wrestle with their athletes, what do they expect?

If someone on the team gets mono do they insist that it’s a personal decision to practice? Maybe are were already up in arms about concussion protocols and blood time? Perhaps they want to scrap washing down the mats. Maybe they want to opt out of laundry service as well. They’ve really lost their heads but I can tell you exactly where to look for them. 

54 minutes ago, jross said:

Near zero risk coaches says who?

47 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Two Questions:

Are you under the impression that Walmart and Amazon are just now starting to flourish and drive small businesses out of business? 

If so, do you live in 2004?

Talking about permanently putting small business out of business while Amazon gets five year's growth in a few months.

image.png.3168072e35135be433f994ee9e1825ab.png

Edited by jross

If we go by the reported numbers, 1 out of every 500 people in the US have died from COVID.  

Also from reported numbers, on a global basis, only 1 out of every 1,735 people have died.  Seems hard to believe that with the best access to vaccines in the world that we would have a much higher rate than the global rate.  Other then the reporting quirks, I wonder if some parts are related to the disproportionate number of obese people we have. 

And of course there are so many human beings which play a part in the recording of these numbers - some with agendas - in each direction.  So it's hard to know what the truth is exactly.  Maybe somewhere between these two?