portajohn

Willie's Earth Shattering News

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

So have they even officially been fired?  I thought Willie/Corby said they technically had until 10/1 but Mineo seems to be claiming it's done.  They're both still listed on the NU coaches list.

I don't think so.  And my guess is the whole vax thing has been blown out of proportion by us here on the forum (I contributed) as there are probably many different factors going into their decision of whether they coach there or not.  What is great is that they haven't been fired and they get to make the choice themselves on what they do.  I think they will be fine and probably have a lot more options then some on here think.

5 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

All of that growth happened in the first half of 2020. Which administration was in charge then?

Come on UB...you are better than this.  He didn't say anything about administrations because it doesn't matter who was or is in office...what matters is that this pandemic was used in ways it shouldn't have and became political...because of BOTH sides.  The point is, small businesses got crushed by it (pandemic AND politics) while the huge "stores' flourished...there isn't any disputing that...not sure why you feel the need to argue it?

6 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Come on UB...you are better than this.  He didn't say anything about administrations because it doesn't matter who was or is in office...what matters is that this pandemic was used in ways it shouldn't have and became political...because of BOTH sides.  The point is, small businesses got crushed by it (pandemic AND politics) while the huge "stores' flourished...there isn't any disputing that...not sure why you feel the need to argue it?

I could be misreading him, but he posted incompetent officials should be removed from office. someone responded saying that's what happened with the election and then he responded with that message implying he was talking about the current administration. He couldn't be talking about Trump because he included vaccines and they didn't exist during Trump.

Say what you want about the Biden administration (and I have very little good to say), you can't blame him for the growth of amazon and post a stock chart of their growth when all of the growth occurred before he was even in office.

14 minutes ago, dman115 said:

One random thing I've started to do - is to intentionally seek out family owned businesses and try to pay for things in cash.  It's ridiculous to give American Express 3% of each purchase and it felt like a little thing I could do to help out small businesses without actually paying more money for the goods.  

1 hour ago, jross said:

Which ones caused several small businesses to fail (including my two favorite local restaurants), enabled big (the rich) businesses to flourish (walmart, amazon, etc.), and is coercing medical injections against millions of disagreeing citizens?  These near-zero risk coaches believe getting the vaccine is unnecessary for their own reasons and that is enough for me.  

Our forum bickering indicates this is extremely controversial and is why this is big news.  

48 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

Near zero risk coaches says who?

Exactly.   You could argue the college athletes are near zero risk, but not a 30+ year old coach.  Even J'Den Cox was hospitalized with covid.

20 minutes ago, dman115 said:

The point is, small businesses got crushed by it (pandemic AND politics) while the huge "stores' flourished...there isn't any disputing that...not sure why you feel the need to argue it?

I'm not sure this statement agrees with jross.  Jross seems to be putting all the blame on policies and not the once in a century pandemic that resulted in the largest year over year change in total deaths since 1918.

And getting back to college vaccine mandates, I'm sure part of the reason they exist is to try to prevent cases from disrupting classes.   When colleges went virtual in 2020, many people started to reconsider paying $30k+ considering they weren't getting the full "college experience."   Vaccine mandates are to give the schools the best chance of being able to maintain that experience.

1 hour ago, BigTimeFan said:

If someone on the team gets mono do they insist that it’s a personal decision to practice? 

Socializing with others while you are knowingly sick is abysmal.  If someone shows no mono symptoms, and I have a mono *vaccine that is 90+% effective, then what am I worried about? 

*"in theory" since a mono vaxx does not exist

1 hour ago, BigTimeFan said:

Near zero risk coaches says who?

Hold old are Howe, Kennedy, and the college wrestlers? 

There are ~80M people in the USA between 18-29 years and there are 3212 reported COVID deaths from Jan '20 till now.  3k/80M = 0.00375% or 1 in 26,000.  This is near-zero risk for themselves and those they would wrestle.  At my age (40), I am 2x as likely to be hospitalized and 10x more likely to die (0.01% near-zero risk) if I get a case as compared to those coaches.  I am more likely to die from poison (opioids) and driving until I reach the age that Falls becomes a real threat.  

I believe these coach's actual risk is lower given the evidence of inflated covid positive cases and covid deaths.  

Edited by jross

19 minutes ago, jross said:

Socializing with others while you are knowingly sick is abysmal.  If someone shows no mono symptoms, and I have a mono *vaccine that is 90+% effective, then what am I worried about? 

There are ~80M people in the USA between 18-29 years and there are 3212 reported COVID deaths from Jan '20 till now.  3k/80M = 0.00375% or 1 in 26,000.  This is near-zero risk for themselves and those they would wrestle.  At my age (40), I am 2x as likely to be hospitalized and 10x more likely to die (0.01% near-zero risk) if I get a case as compared to those coaches.  I am more likely to die from poison (opioids) and driving until I reach the age that Falls becomes a real threat.  

I believe these coach's actual risk is lower given the evidence of inflated covid positive cases and covid deaths.  

Kennedy is 33 and Howe is 32 

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/athletes/jimmy-kennedy

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/athletes/andrew-howe

31 minutes ago, jross said:

Kennedy & Howe are low risk at dying from covid - they're not low risk at catching it. They could spread it to the team and wreak havoc on the season.

1 hour ago, jross said:

And yet it still comes down to one thing. You wish Northwestern had different policies, but they don't.

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Kennedy & Howe are low risk at dying from covid - they're not low risk at catching it. They could spread it to the team and wreak havoc on the season.

They can also spread it to at-risk people or low risk people who then spread it to others, etc. etc.. The understanding of ending the pandemic through vaccination of everyone, not just those who may get really sick, seems to be a concept people don't grasp. The guys on Flo are completely clueless about this.

Edited by Major Kong

1 hour ago, jross said:

It's not just about death/hospitalization.  Vito had to pull out of WTT because of covid, and it seems very likely that he was vaccinated and reportedly  experienced mild symptoms.  It's an unacceptable risk to have an unvaccinated coach that can put an entire season at risk. Their decision not to get vaccinated is their decision, and they have the right to make it, but it is selfish from a team perspective. Putting the team first is an important part of being a coach, and there is a harmless shot that does just that. I think it also may reflect a lack of leadership/mentorship from the HC in relation to his assistants. How was the HC not able to explain to them that this is about the team more than politics? When the mandates happen at PSU and Iowa, which they will soon enough, I bet the assistant coaches will listen to Cael and Brands and follow their leadership.  

Just look at what's going in in SEC football.  I guarantee you that many of the coaches there are as conservative or religious as they come, but they understand the quarantine rules that have  been  put in place, and have encouraged their entire team/coaching staff to make a decision that is best for the team.

Edited by Billyhoyle

Fixed the numbers (pop, deaths) on this.  From one angle, a 0.02% or 0.06% chance of death from Covid seems like nothing.  But if you told me that 1 to 10 of every 5000 of my peers are going to die unless we work remote... I'm going to work remote.  If you forced me to come to the office and either test weekly or vaccinate, I'd say those are fair options.  

Age 2019 Pop (thousands) Covid
Deaths
Covid
Death %
Survivor:Dead Ratio
0-19 81,624 439 0.001% 185932:1
20-29 44,531 3212 0.007% 13864:1
30-39 43,375 9240 0.021% 4694:1
40-49 39,929 23501 0.059% 1699:1
50-64 62,110 110689 0.178% 561:1
65-74 31,487 147568 0.469% 213:1
75-84 15,407 176763 1.147% 87:1
85+ 5,893 187342 3.179% 31:1
Total 324,356 658754 0.203% 492:1

The wife says the coaches just don't want to be told what to do or they don't want to work where they are at.  Getting tested is not a big deal.  Wife is always right. 

31 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

They can also spread it to at-risk people or low risk people who then spread it to others, etc. etc.. The understanding of ending the pandemic through vaccination of everyone, not just those who may get really sick, seems to be a concept people don't grasp. The guys on Flo are completely clueless about this.

I listened today for the first time in a while and Askren's total inability to think through basic logical progressions is jarring. You can hear the frustration in his cohosts' voices when they try to guide him back on track. 

The vaccination rates continue to rise as the infection rate continued to rise.

See why some people may not need the cure?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I listened today for the first time in a while and Askren's total inability to think through basic logical progressions is jarring. You can hear the frustration in his cohosts' voices when they try to guide him back on track. 

I try to cut him some slack. All of our brains work a little differently, including Ben's and that's no fault of his. I did think he was pretty far out there today though.

27 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yes. Many millions unvaccinated when a much more transmissible variant(r0 of 3.5 -5) hits = higher infection rate even as vaccinations rise. Not really a difficult piece of mathematics.

21 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

That's like saying our efforts to curb crime in Minneapolis have been stepped up, yet crime continues to rise. So let's end the efforts to curb crime and defund the police. And, yes, that is exactly what an alarmingly large number of people actually believe.

Ironically, politics have nothing to do with stupid - since defund-police types are generally far left, and anti-vaxxers are generally far right. It appears there is plenty of stupid on both sides.

I think JRoss's wife has got it figured out. These people, like the coaches at NU, are only hiding behind dumb excuses. Truth is that they have their own personal agendas.

8 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

The unvaccinated are holding back the vaccinated. It’s beyond annoying at this point. When they approve it for 5 and up. It’s open season. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-biontech-say-covid-19-vaccine-is-safe-for-young-children-generates-immune-response-11632134701

Looks like we are not far off on the approval for 5+.  I have a 5 year old and also a toddler, so will be keeping an eye out for availability for under 5 as well.  

2 hours ago, jross said:

Fixed the numbers (pop, deaths) on this.  From one angle, a 0.02% or 0.06% chance of death from Covid seems like nothing.  But if you told me that 1 to 10 of every 5000 of my peers are going to die unless we work remote... I'm going to work remote.  If you forced me to come to the office and either test weekly or vaccinate, I'd say those are fair options.  

Age 2019 Pop (thousands) Covid
Deaths
Covid
Death %
Survivor:Dead Ratio
0-19 81,624 439 0.001% 185932:1
20-29 44,531 3212 0.007% 13864:1
30-39 43,375 9240 0.021% 4694:1
40-49 39,929 23501 0.059% 1699:1
50-64 62,110 110689 0.178% 561:1
65-74 31,487 147568 0.469% 213:1
75-84 15,407 176763 1.147% 87:1
85+ 5,893 187342 3.179% 31:1
Total 324,356 658754 0.203% 492:1

So this is you admitting that Howe and Kennedy aren’t at zero risk, correct?

1 hour ago, SignificantACCBias said:

I try to cut him some slack. All of our brains work a little differently, including Ben's and that's no fault of his. I did think he was pretty far out there today though.

Haven’t listened yet but Askren has had some awful covid takes over the past 18 months.   Hopefully he’s not still claiming that not a single kid at one of his clubs has ever had covid.