portajohn

Willie's Earth Shattering News

26 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So this is you admitting that Howe and Kennedy aren’t at zero risk, correct?

Howe and Kennedy have a higher chance of being involved in a fatal car accident.  If they are like me, they have not given two thoughts about accidents because while the risk is not zero, it is near zero.  At a macro level, what in the data says these coaches or students should be self-concerned?  What is coming next is probably a forced vaccination of low-risk children with a 200,000 to 1 covid survival rate.  The problem is that younger folks cannot understand what is in it for them and they don't care about what's in it for you. 

31 minutes ago, jross said:

Howe and Kennedy have a higher chance of being involved in a fatal car accident.  If they are like me, they have not given two thoughts about accidents because while the risk is not zero, it is near zero.  At a macro level, what in the data says these coaches or students should be self-concerned?  What is coming next is probably a forced vaccination of low-risk children with a 200,000 to 1 covid survival rate.  The problem is that younger folks cannot understand what is in it for them and they don't care about what's in it for you. 

Howe/Kennedy have a higher chance of catching covid and spreading it than being involved in a fatal car accident. The risk of an unvaccinated person catching covid is not near zero.

16 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Howe/Kennedy have a higher chance of catching covid and spreading it than being involved in a fatal car accident. The risk of an unvaccinated person catching covid is not near zero.

Um.....would you rather have covid, or be in a fatal car accident? Weird comparison.

Are you one of these people who think the hospitalization rate for people with covid is 50%?

Edited by hammerlockthree

46 minutes ago, jross said:

Howe and Kennedy have a higher chance of being involved in a fatal car accident.  If they are like me, they have not given two thoughts about accidents because while the risk is not zero, it is near zero.  At a macro level, what in the data says these coaches or students should be self-concerned? 

Well, it sounds like you have actually "given it two thoughts" since you literally just said you would work remotely based on a 0.06% chance of death according to your numbers (which btw look to be based on total deaths to date compared to total population, not the % of those infected - as time goes on it's likely that near 100% of people will be infected so in reality these numbers are low especially if you're referring to someone that is not vaccinated).   So sounds like you think it's not near-zero, or else why would you choose to work remotely?   Or are you saying 0.02% (for 30-39 year olds such as Howe and Kennedy) is near zero but 0.06% (for a 40-49 year old such as yourself) isn't?

21 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

None of the 32 year old men in my circle are anxious about catching covid.  They don't consider it a risk so much as a given that it will come and that they will be fine.

5 minutes ago, jross said:

None of the 32 year old men in my circle are anxious about catching covid.  They don't consider it a risk so much as a given that it will come and that they will be fine.

I'm sure J'Den Cox didn't consider it much of a risk either, until he got hospitalized and got sent home with a portable oxygen tank.

10 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Um.....would you rather have covid, or be in a fatal car accident? Weird comparison.

Are you one of these people who think the hospitalization rate for people with covid is 50%?

Of 30+ people I personally know that have had Covid, three went to the hospital.  Two were over 70 and died on an incubator.  My 40 year old friend recovered immediately on monoclonal antibodies.  That's 10% for hospital visits in my known Covid case size.  3% under 50y.  100% over 70y.  Seems high but not many people actively admit that had Covid unless there is drama.  The CDC math shows 0.6% of a sample size of 32M people have been hospitalized with Covid this year.

4 hours ago, cjc007 said:

The vaccination rates continue to rise as the infection rate continued to rise.

Which was also at the same time as everyone started mingling indoors again.

2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

well thank goodness even if that happened its not statistically relevant. 

5 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I'm sure J'Den Cox didn't consider it much of a risk either, until he got hospitalized and got sent home with a portable oxygen tank.

Careful about calling out exceptions.  People felt they were doing their part by getting Covid vaccinated and then unfortunately became dead or debilitated from a vaccine side effect.  This isn't a new concept.  

Here's an old story around a flu vaccine that I can't get out of my mind.  

14 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

well thank goodness even if that happened its not statistically relevant. 

sorry can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but it happened - https://www.nbc4i.com/olympics/olympic-wrestling-hopeful-sets-sights-on-tokyo-after-bout-with-covid/

I mean if we're using the jross school of statistics...at least 10% of the MFS world team was hospitalized with covid!

Just now, 1032004 said:

sorry can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but it happened - https://www.nbc4i.com/olympics/olympic-wrestling-hopeful-sets-sights-on-tokyo-after-bout-with-covid/

I mean if we're using the jross school of statistics...at least 10% of the MFS world team was hospitalized with covid!

I am a 100 page thread J'Den advocate and his exception story does not change the macro story.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

the link you cited says you are wrong. He had pneumonia.....this is the biggest self own i've ever seen. 

40 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I didn't bring up the car accident comparison - JRoss did. I doubt Northwestern's worried Kennedy or Howe will die from covid. They're concerned they'll catch it and spread it to the team.

Just now, Fletcher said:

I didn't bring up the car accident comparison - JRoss did. I doubt Northwestern's worried Kennedy or Howe will die from covid. They're concerned they'll catch it and spread it to the team.

Well you shouldn't have referenced it in support of your argument if you didn't want to look dumb.

34 minutes ago, jross said:

And they're right. But I don't want them around Northwestern's wrestling team during the season. You don't need to get sick from it in order for it to ruin the season for an entire team.

7 minutes ago, jross said:

Careful about calling out exceptions.  People felt they were doing their part by getting Covid vaccinated and then unfortunately became dead or debilitated from a vaccine side effect.  This isn't a new concept.  

I'm not denying that there have been severe adverse events from the vaccine, but the chances of that are far less likely than the same thing happening from covid especially for anyone over about 30 or so.

Cox may be an exception, but he is also 26 and one of the best athletes in the world, Howe and Kennedy are 32-33 year old coaches, they are at greater risk than Cox.   I do agree with Fletcher's post above, the bigger issue for the school/team is them having a higher chance of spreading it to the team.   But also want to be clear that while yes, they are still at "low risk" from covid, I wouldn't call it "near zero."

2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Well you shouldn't have referenced it in support of your argument if you didn't want to look dumb.

My point has nothing to do with car accidents - that was JRoss's aside. My argument is we shouldn't look at the risk of dying from covid, when the real risk is catching it & spreading it to the NU wrestling team. Read more carefully before calling other people dumb.