Jump to content
portajohn

Willie's Earth Shattering News

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, dman115 said:

I'm sick of it too.  Just like childhood cancer.  Just like heart attacks.  Just like car accidents.  Just like all deaths...it is heartbreaking and I am sick of it.

none of those things are easily preventable and the amount of time you spend obfuscating this in favor of blathering on with general skepticism of "liberal media" or in passionate defense of "choice" says a lot about what you really believe. you are telling on yourself constantly and then get really pissed and defensive when people see through it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BobDole said:

If there was a shot that could decrease the likelihood of dying from these I'm sure most would take it. Well only if the "data" was believable.

There will never be 100% of the people that take it.  Just like there is never 100% of the people who wear seat belts...or 100% who don't drink and drive....or 100% of the people who aren't in shape and take care of themselves...or 100% good genetics that don't give little kids cancer.

My biggest point is why do those that DO take it (which is the group I am in) have to suffer because of what other people choose not to (which I feel is their right).  And please Mr. Dole don't give me the "What's the big deal of wearing a maks" B.S. because it is A LOT more than that (kids, sports, events, small business, etc.).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dman115 said:

I'm sick of it too.  Just like childhood cancer.  Just like heart attacks.  Just like car accidents.  Just like all deaths...it is heartbreaking and I am sick of it.

this is just foolishness. if there was an easily accessible, free vaccine for all of those things I would be first in line. Some deaths are more preventable than others. This isn't the middle ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ugarte said:

none of those things are easily preventable and the amount of time you spend obfuscating this in favor of blathering on with general skepticism of "liberal media" or in passionate defense of "choice" says a lot about what you really believe. you are telling on yourself constantly and then get really pissed and defensive when people see through it.

First off...you think none of those things are easily preventable...seriously??  If you truly believe that then it probably isn't worth responding.  But please tell me what I really believe??  That I believe in freedoms and choice?  That I believe in the vaccine?  That I believe we have seriously hurt our youth and young folks?  That we have hurt small business?  That I think this got turned political by BOTH sides which has seriously hurt our ability to deal with the virus, not to mention cause people like you and I to argue insensibly on the internet??  What else do I truly believe??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

this is just foolishness. if there was an easily accessible, free vaccine for all of those things I would be first in line. Some deaths are more preventable than others. This isn't the middle ages.

SO would I UB!  But not everyone will!!  Period!  Should we sit here and argue non-stop about how every single freaking person should take the vax and continue to shut things down and jeopardize opportunities for those that are essentially unaffected by the virus?  The virus isn't going away.  Not everyone will take the vax (which I believe is okay because it's their choice...just like it is for a women when it comes to reproductive health).   To me it's foolishness to think it will go away and that all of a sudden every single person will take the vax, or eat a salad and exercise, or will always wear a seatbelt, or not ever drink and drive, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BAC said:

Its sad, but its just Darwinism at work.  Those who lack the intellectual capacity to make sensible medical decisions are more likely to die.  Though tragic, the end result is to improve the overall quality of the gene pool.

Sadly it doesn't help the gene pool because most are of an age where they have already contributed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dman115 said:

SO would I UB!  But not everyone will!!  Period!  Should we sit here and argue non-stop about how every single freaking person should take the vax and continue to shut things down and jeopardize opportunities for those that are essentially unaffected by the virus?  The virus isn't going away.  Not everyone will take the vax (which I believe is okay because it's their choice...just like it is for a women when it comes to reproductive health).   To me it's foolishness to think it will go away and that all of a sudden every single person will take the vax, or eat a salad and exercise, or will always wear a seatbelt, or not ever drink and drive, etc.

Maybe I'm living in a different America than everyone else, but what's shut down right now? Sports/concerts are full capacity. Schools are back. Are we doing all this complaining over masks? Testing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BAC said:

Its sad, but its just Darwinism at work.  Those who lack the intellectual capacity to make sensible medical decisions are more likely to die.  Though tragic, the end result is to improve the overall quality of the gene pool.

They're only eliminated from the gene pool if they die before procreating. Unfortunately, these are probably the same people who believe birth control interferes with God's will, so they've already passed their genes to their many, many children.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Maybe I'm living in a different America than everyone else, but what's shut down right now? Sports/concerts are full capacity. Schools are back. Are we doing all this complaining over masks? Testing? 

I still cannot go into my office for work. My kids have to wear masks at school and can't sit together at lunch. They have to wear masks for their indoor sports. Travel restrictions. Lots of other stuff. Where I am, we're still far from getting back to normal. I don't think it would take much of an uptick for schools to go remote again and for us to lose another NCAA wrestling season (gotta bring this thread back to wrestling somehow; as a side note, I can't believe the mod has allowed thread to fester like this).

Edited by Fletcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Sadly it doesn't help the gene pool because most are of an age where they have already contributed.

Yeah, that's true.  But even looking at the COVID deaths of people under 50 in the US (@36K, or @ 5% of the total), applying that 5% to current death rates of @ 5-10K/week, and considering the current 11:1 ratio of unvaccinated-to-vaccinated deaths (i.e. 11 deaths of the unvaccinated for every 1 vaccinated death), that's still a pretty good number of stupid (unvaccinated) people in breeding age -- @ 1-2k per month -- who won't be able to pass along their dumb genes to make dumb kids.  I mean, yeah its tragic and all that, and I don't wish death on anyone, but being a glass-is-half-full kinda guy, we may as well look at the silver lining.

Edited by BAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, dman115 said:

First off...you think none of those things are easily preventable...seriously?? 

childhood cancer is absolutely not easily preventable. we spend billions on research to reduce it or cure it. tragic. not at all preventable much less easily.

some heart attacks are not easily preventable (or at least reduced risk) except with persistent and significant lifestyle changes. others, alas, are not preventable at all because the heart defect isn't detected until it is too late.

car accidents are not easily preventable at all. "drive better" isn't easy. people fail to do it all the time or suffer from the failures of others. but i'll be generous and assume you probably you meant something more like "it's simple to reduce injuries from car accidents by wearing a seat belt," and I agree! unfortunately, that's the car safety equivalent of "getting a vaccine" and that's why EVERY CAR SOLD IN AMERICA IS REQUIRED TO HAVE SEAT BELTS AND 49 STATES (iirc) REQUIRE YOU TO WEAR IT. People don't have the "choice" or "freedom" to not wear a seat belt without risking consequences like tickets, license suspensions or violating their car insurance contracts.

Edited by ugarte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dman115 said:

Please show me where a republican politician has come out and said to anyone "Don't get vaccinated".  It is a serious ask...I would love to see the actual clip or quote.  Including Drump!  I hate it when people take what someone says and turns it into something they do not mean.  Because someone is for freedom of choice, they are not anti-vaxxers, they are not against the vaccine, and thy are NOT telling people to NOT get it.  Why is that so hard to understand??  

Funny thing is in my personal life I know both repubs and dems who chose not to get vaccinated.  I also know repubs, that do what I hate, and judge people for not getting it.  No one knows another's situation or what they have going on in their life.  Just like Howe and Kennedy...NO ONE on this board know them, know the reason they are leaving NU, know what their actual take is on vaccines, yet they are getting vilified on here by some. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

My sister is an ICU nurse. She's been handling serious covid cases for over a year. Every week or so there's another story of someone being admitted whose number 1 concern is that they're going to be forced to be vaccinated. They won't even accept that they have covid. "It's just bronchitis."

5 days later, they're begging for the vaccine. A couple days more and they're dead. It's heartbreaking. Families are destroyed. I'm just sick of it.

An American tragedy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

back on topic...just listened to FRL from yesterday (not today)...they mentioned they thought Howe and Kennedy were the only 2 coaches of any sport at Northwestern where this was an issue.   I guess it's possible it may not be public for other sports yet, but is that really true?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to trust the experts - back when we had a pretty good idea who they were. Now, the internet is full of so called 'experts' and its not so easy to figure out who really is an expert vs who is a fake. (Not to mention who is telling the truth vs who is flat out lying to us.) The inconsistent messaging from the experts has not helped their cause, it only made matters worse (and continues to.)

So, naturally, we stop trusting experts and decide to "do our own research" armed only with a tiny speck (relatively speaking) of actual expertise.

Now - we're stuck. The US's brightest medical minds are the best in the world, and they aren't being listened to. Facebook and TV know-nothing loudmouths are now more popular sources of information than medicine's best and brightest. This is where we remain stuck, as countries who are our military adversaries see the value of having a US population that can't rally together to (literally) save their lives. So they employ cyber bad-guys to jump in on social media, stoke the flames of anger, and do everything possible to keep us ill informed, off-balanced, and divided. (And, yes, the US does this same thing to other countries.) Our population is being played. Not one group, or one party, or certain sets of people - everyone. Approximately 1 out of 500 people have died of Covid in the US and we still can't rally together to end the pandemic (as many have correctly stated, we can't end the virus - but we can end the pandemic) because we're too busy bickering amongst ourselves.

There's only one way out. US leadership has to do what they did with seat belts (made them mandatory), drunk driving (made the penalties severe), and other antivirus shots (made them mandatory.)

The good news is that our current leadership is doing exactly that. And, one way or another, being drug kicking and screaming or not, we're going to end the pandemic. We have to (doesn't matter if you like or dislike the current leadership, that's an irrelevant distraction to the matter at hand.)

The bad news is that we'll continue to bicker, wrestling coaches will continue to quit, wrestlers will continue to transfer, until eventually we get past the pandemic (although the virus will still be with us in a less problematic form) and years later we'll look back on it (like we are now looking back at seat belt laws), and wonder how we could have allowed ourselves to be manipulated into pointless bickering when we should have been rallying together.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

back on topic...just listened to FRL from yesterday (not today)...they mentioned they thought Howe and Kennedy were the only 2 coaches of any sport at Northwestern where this was an issue.   I guess it's possible it may not be public for other sports yet, but is that really true?

 

 

I think it's very possible. The NFL mandated the vaccine for all coaches and staff (I'm pretty sure?) and there were only a couple resignations across the entire league. I think there's a very small, but loud minority that feel very strongly about it. Most will get it if you make things annoying enough (hence the vax or weekly test mandate idea).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ugarte said:

everyone criticizes the elites when they break the rules. there are not "millions" of unvaccinated migrants crossing the border. what the **** do the experts have to do with the postal exemption? do you think they requested it? this is just a clown car of nonsense. every time you think it's finished another unsupported argument spills out.

Fauci weighs in on every damn thing that he can think of with this virus. He has celebrity status for crying out loud. 

You are damn straight he should weigh in on the idea of the elites requiring a vaccine passport for workers writ large but giving one class of workers - postal workers - a free pass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

You are damn straight he should weigh in on the idea of the elites requiring a vaccine passport for workers writ large but giving one class of workers - postal workers - a free pass. 

hey good news. postal workers aren't even exempt. we suffer under the yoke of the postal elite no longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

all you covid maniacs constantly self-own. That link just says the white house "strongly encourages" postal workers to comply. That's Psaki BS through and through.

you can't read so i've added some comprehension aids for you

Capture (2).PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

all you covid maniacs constantly self-own. That link just says the white house "strongly encourages" postal workers to comply. That's Psaki BS through and through.

That's now twice in the same thread you've used the term "self-own" only to be proven wrong moments later. Pneumonia is a common consequence of covid. Postal workers are not exempt. You'd think after the first error you'd pipe down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

That's now twice in the same thread you've used the term "self-own" only to be proven wrong moments later. Pneumonia is a common consequence of covid. Postal workers are not exempt. You'd think after the first error you'd pipe down.

Its a consequence of people fetishizing things based on flimsy information.

I'm sorry you are taking this all so personally but I'm not convinced I was wrong in either instance. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...