portajohn

Willie's Earth Shattering News

Its a strange choice of a hill to die on.   From a risk management perspective, why allow a policy that could expose undergraduates participating as amateurs in a combat sport to direct personal and physical contact in a wrestling room with an unvaccinated coach in the time of a global pandemic?   These coaches are not providing instruction over zoom.   

19 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I think it’s huge news because of how it could set a precedent moving forward as more schools continue to add mandates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an alum and wrestler I support the schools position. But I hope Deakin doesn't bail too.

Its a strange choice of a hill to die on.   From a risk management perspective, why allow a policy that could expose undergraduates participating as amateurs in a combat sport to direct personal and physical contact in a wrestling room with an unvaccinated coach in the time of a global pandemic?   These coaches are not providing instruction over zoom.   

It’s also a strange choice of a hill to die on with the number of alternative places to work that allow people to be unvaccinated continues to dwindle.

29 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Pretty damn good excuse if you ask me.

To be clear it seems it's because his coaches will be gone, not because he doesn't want to take the vaccine right?

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

To be clear it seems it's because his coaches will be gone, not because he doesn't want to take the vaccine right?

Correct, that's what Willie/Corby said - it was the coaches. 

42 minutes ago, klehner said:

And this is why Carter Young bailed on NW and moved to OSU at the last moment.  Or the excuse he used.

Convenient excuse for doing what he wants to do anyways - go to a national title contender close to home. Let's see how many doors that OSU degree opens for him 10 yrs from now when no one cares about his amateur sporting days.

Convenient excuse for doing what he wants to do anyways - go to a national title contender close to home. Let's see how many doors that OSU degree opens for him 10 yrs from now when no one cares about his amateur sporting days.

Lol! If I had built a months long relationship with coaches that I had thought were going to help me become the wrestler I aspired to be, and all of a sudden those coaches were fired, I would probably be looking elsewhere too. Think from the kids perspective.

I’m assuming if he wanted to go to OSU this whole time, he would have committed there.

15 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

It takes 10 years to complete degree work at NW?  :(

19 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Where is this news published? Does anyone have a link?

Willie’s podcast.

Looks like Mineo has now tweeted it too, but he says it’s a done deal and I thought Corby said they had until 10/1.

6 minutes ago, NJDan said:

What is with these musclemen wrestlers like Gabe and Howe? Do they think they are invincible and don't want a vaccine for that reason? Are they Trumpers?

Seems like it is a level above personal political views.   If anyone on the team gets it, with quarantine, contact tracing, and other protocols, it puts the seasons and individual competitive events at risk over the refusal to take a few shots to protect the team and each member.   The opposite of the kind of leadership and culture you want to develop.      

5 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Seems like it is a level above personal political views.   If anyone on the team gets it, with quarantine, contact tracing, and other protocols, it puts the seasons and individual competitive events at risk over the refusal to take a few shots to protect the team and each member.   The opposite of the kind of leadership and culture you want to develop.      

This. An outbreak on the team right before Big Tens would be devastating and ruin what these kids have been training for all season. Coaches should do everything in their power to minimize the likelihood of this happening, which includes getting vaccinated.

8 minutes ago, Elevator said:

I must say it's an interesting twist.   Most of the convo has been around the athletes and saying they are at "zero risk" or whatever.   However I believe these guys are at least 30 so while they're still at "low risk," I don't think you can use the "zero risk" line.

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Agreed. NCAA wrestling champion is basically irrelevant on a resume. 

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Agreed. NCAA wrestling champion is basically irrelevant on a resume. 

Bold prediction. 

If I'm hiring a future doctor, lawyer, financial advisor, however, I'll take the Northwestern grad. over the OSU national champ. No one wants to hear that A.J. Ferrari will be performing their open heart surgery.

1 minute ago, Fletcher said:

Bold prediction. 

If I'm hiring a future doctor, lawyer, financial advisor, however, I'll take the Northwestern grad. over the OSU national champ. No one wants to hear that A.J. Ferrari will be performing their open heart surgery.

By the time someone is ready to practice medicine or law, where they went for their undergrad degree matters next to nothing to an employer.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

By the time someone is ready to practice medicine or law, where they went for their undergrad degree matters next to nothing to an employer.

Been practicing law for 25 yrs. This is wrong. Also the law schools and med schools very much care where you did your undergrad.