Jump to content
portajohn

Willie's Earth Shattering News

Recommended Posts

Just now, IronChef said:

It's an indictment of wrestling journalism that there is not a single published story about this news. The entire assistant coaching staff at a Big Ten school is allegedly getting fired three weeks before official practice begins, and the only source is a video on Rokfin that started with five minutes of talk about bagels. Why isn't there a story on InterMat about this, especially since the breaker of the news owns that site?

probably because it's not official yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AFWahoo said:

Yep. I briefly considered transferring to HLS after my 1L year but decided against it as I wasn't going to get anything more out of going there than I was out of where I already was. Ended up spending my 2L summer at one of the top firms in DC and have two federal clerkships lined up after graduation, one at the District level and one at the Circuit level. I don't have the grades to be competitive for a SCOTUS clerkship and going to HLS wasn't going to magically change that.

On the flip side, a section mate of mine did transfer to HLS which made zero sense to me. They actually ended up at a worse firm than they could have obtained had they just stayed and were basically starting from scratch with making connections with professors for clerkship recommendations. Another friend of mine went from a much lower ranked law school to HLS, but it made sense in that situation since that individual wanted to work in London due to their spouse working in Europe. They weren't going to get an offer from a London firm from their prior school.

Similar situation with the girl I knew who transferred to HLS. Didn't make any sense from a firm/clerkship perspective because she was going from the top student in her class to middle of the pack at HLS. But she wanted to go into academia so the prestige of HLS made more sense for her career aspirations than her position at the top of her class at her first school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Harvard is an especially odd example for him to fixate on because they have one of the largest classes and are a big law factory. They're all about the numbers. Maybe things were different when he went to law school 30 years ago.

As you note, Yale is the only school that operates in a way that can resemble the good ol' boys network. And not coincidentally, they have a tiny class size and comparatively low big law entry rate. You go to Yale to clerk and take your rightful place in the aristocracy.

No offense, but you guys are kind arguing over nothing.  That is:

1.  There's zero reason to believe Carter Young wants to go to law school, as only a small percentage do.  (His anticipated major at Northwestern was "learning and organizational change," whatever that is.)  So who cares?

2.  Its pretty much undisputable that the prestige of your undergraduate school impacts your career prospects.  Exactly how much is open to debate, and yes, it varies to some extent depending on what your major is, whether you go on for a grad degree, etc., but the basic premise still stands.  So who cares?

3.  Even if he were going to law school, you guys are quibbling about *how much* the quality of your undergrad institution impacts law school admissions decisions, not *whether* it does.  So again, who cares?  Even now you guys are over-simplifying the variables that law schools use when determining what weight to attach to an undergrad school's GPA (e.g. grade curve used, track record at the law school, etc), and if this were a law school forum it'd be a lovely debate, but for present purposes, its enough to say that it is relevant but does not close any doors.

Bottom line:  Yeah, Carter's moving to a school with a lesser academic reputation and a greater wrestling reputation.  The former will, on average, have a negative effect on his future career prospects, but how much is debatable and its effect certainly isn't assured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, IronChef said:

It's an indictment of wrestling journalism that there is not a single published story about this news. The entire assistant coaching staff at a Big Ten school is allegedly getting fired three weeks before official practice begins, and the only source is a video on Rokfin that started with five minutes of talk about bagels. Why isn't there a story on InterMat about this, especially since the breaker of the news owns that site?

On one hand, I agree. There is very little wrestling journalist to speak of.  Intermat is mostly tabulated results and press releases. But I also wonder how much press it would get if, say, Penn State threatened to fire its offensive coordinator (but had not done it yet).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

I think that both Kennedy and Howe should be able to resurface somewhere (most likely lower profile) whose vaccine policy is more aligned with their thinking.  

And the program will likewise be able to fill these coaching positions with a couple of solid guys who are more aligned with their thinking.

I personally like when we have lots of different philosophies within the same community, so we learn to better understand and respect each other's perspective.  So the saddest aspect for me is the reinforcement of thought silos.  

 

Really? Because I find it hard to believe that northwestern is going to find coaches at Howe and Kennedy level literally a week before the season…Stornilio going to have a lot more space in the coaching office this season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So mineo is reporting (with a link to source) that 18% of northwestern endowments come from Pfizer royalties so for all of you judging Kennedy and Howe for not vaxxing , it looks like this policy has nothing to do with actual health concerns and more to do with the fact northwestern higher ups are probably getting a payday to push this on the entire university 

Edited by Antitroll2828

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Really? Because I find it hard to believe that northwestern is going to find coaches at Howe and Kennedy level literally a week before the season…Stornilio going to have a lot more space in the coaching office this season 

For this year, the timing is awful, but I don't think there are a shortage of quality candidates out there, who wouldn't mind moving out to Evanston (a nice place).  

Edited by flyingcement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

So mineo is reporting (with a link to source) that 18% of northwestern endowments come from Pfizer royalties so for all of you judging Kennedy and Howe for not vaxxing , it looks like this policy has nothing to do with actual health concerns and more to do with the fact northwestern higher ups are probably getting a payday to push this on the entire university 

I can see how it would read as a conflict of interest, but Northwestern doesn't mind which vaccine you take - you can take Moderna  - you don't have to take the Pfizer one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious - do you have to have other vaccinations to be employed at NU?

 

I know it is common practice to be required to have all standard vaccinations at most public universities as a student. Not sure about employees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I can see how it would read as a conflict of interest, but Northwestern doesn't mind which vaccine you take - you can take Moderna  - you don't have to take the Pfizer one.  

My point was more that northwestern was never going to leave the decision to vax up to the individual because the entire university is in bed with “big pharma” 

 

and for everyone in this post who thinks it’s a good thing or funny that 2 stand up respected coaches are losing their jobs because they refuse to have college bureaucrats make personal medical decisions for them , you all are straight clowns 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, iGranby said:

Just curious - do you have to have other vaccinations to be employed at NU?

 

I know it is common practice to be required to have all standard vaccinations at most public universities as a student. Not sure about employees. 

Except that the COVID shot isn’t a vaccine by definition so your point is moot 

also at most places an individual can get a religious exemption for certain vaccines and still be employed but apparently Kennedy and Howe were denied those as well 

Edited by Antitroll2828

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Except that the COVID shot isn’t a vaccine by definition so your point is moot 

also at most places an individual can get a religious exemption for certain vaccines and still be employed but apparently Kennedy and Howe were denied those as well 

What point? I asked a question lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

My point was more that northwestern was never going to leave the decision to vax up to the individual because the entire university is in bed with “big pharma” 

I don't think it's necessarily safe to assume that is the entire reason they made the decision.  I think it was a likely influencing factor, among many other factors.  But all schools are influenced by their sponsors, somewhat by design.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BAC said:

No offense, but you guys are kind arguing over nothing.  That is:

1.  There's zero reason to believe Carter Young wants to go to law school, as only a small percentage do.  (His anticipated major at Northwestern was "learning and organizational change," whatever that is.)  So who cares?

2.  Its pretty much undisputable that the prestige of your undergraduate school impacts your career prospects.  Exactly how much is open to debate, and yes, it varies to some extent depending on what your major is, whether you go on for a grad degree, etc., but the basic premise still stands.  So who cares?

3.  Even if he were going to law school, you guys are quibbling about *how much* the quality of your undergrad institution impacts law school admissions decisions, not *whether* it does.  So again, who cares?  Even now you guys are over-simplifying the variables that law schools use when determining what weight to attach to an undergrad school's GPA (e.g. grade curve used, track record at the law school, etc), and if this were a law school forum it'd be a lovely debate, but for present purposes, its enough to say that it is relevant but does not close any doors.

Bottom line:  Yeah, Carter's moving to a school with a lesser academic reputation and a greater wrestling reputation.  The former will, on average, have a negative effect on his future career prospects, but how much is debatable and its effect certainly isn't assured.

Lol, it's a message board and the thread went off topic. Is this supposed to be a revelation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

My point was more that northwestern was never going to leave the decision to vax up to the individual because the entire university is in bed with “big pharma” 

So the many other universities that are requiring it are all in bed with big pharma too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

My point was more that northwestern was never going to leave the decision to vax up to the individual because the entire university is in bed with “big pharma” 

Funny, "Big Pharma" makes more money from ivermectin than it does from vaccines, but whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

So mineo is reporting (with a link to source) that 18% of northwestern endowments come from Pfizer royalties so for all of you judging Kennedy and Howe for not vaxxing , it looks like this policy has nothing to do with actual health concerns and more to do with the fact northwestern higher ups are probably getting a payday to push this on the entire university 

Where is this report? It would be pretty stunning for a university to have such a high percentage of its endowment in one stock. NU itself says that just 12% of its endowment is in US equites --ALL US equities. So this 18% stat seems like total hogwash. https://www.northwestern.edu/investment/asset-allocation-and-objective.html

 

Edited by NJDan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Where is this report? It would be pretty stunning for a university to have such a high percentage of its endowment in one stock. NU itself says that just 12% of its endowment is in US equites --ALL US equities. So this 18% stat seems like total hogwash. https://www.northwestern.edu/investment/asset-allocation-and-objective.html

 

Antitroll never misses lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...