portajohn

Willie's Earth Shattering News

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

So mineo is reporting (with a link to source) that 18% of northwestern endowments come from Pfizer royalties so for all of you judging Kennedy and Howe for not vaxxing , it looks like this policy has nothing to do with actual health concerns and more to do with the fact northwestern higher ups are probably getting a payday to push this on the entire university 

do you ever slow down and try to think through the logic of the things you post? as much as i enjoy watching you step on rakes over and over again, this one should have been really easy to avoid.

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

I can see how it would read as a conflict of interest, but Northwestern doesn't mind which vaccine you take - you can take Moderna  - you don't have to take the Pfizer one.  

Not only that, but the marginal difference between current compliance and full compliance with a few more reluctant coaches and actual revenue material to Pfizer is a nothingburger.

Over 150 colleges in Illinois alone require the vaccine, but, sure, Northwestern’s requirement is a conspiracy to line Pfizer’s pockets. Never mind that Northwestern has ~25,000 students and staff, while Pfizer has administered 220 million doses in the US alone.

45 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Yawn...this is already happening at all levels of sport so this type of news is more like....expected.

The nba immediately shut down any mandatory vax talk and told the league offices it’s a complete non starter for league negotiations 

11 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

do you ever slow down and try to think through the logic of the things you post? as much as i enjoy watching you step on rakes over and over again, this one should have been really easy to avoid.

Do you ever try to talk down to people in the real life the way you do online? Bc I’m pretty confident if you did someone would have thrown you out a window by now 

It's only a matter of time before every public and private university in the country mandates vaccines.  For public universities, it will be easy to tie federal funding to the vaccine/weekly testing requirements.  For private universities/college, they will likely be required to vaccinate all their employees due to the new 100 employee labor regulations.  These universities will not want to pay for weekly testing for anti vaxxers, so will mandate it.  People need to just accept the COVID19 vaccine just as they do every other mandated vaccine like MMR.  The FDA has approved it, and 20 years from now those laying down their jobs for the sake of "freedom" from a vaccine will look as foolish as the anti MMR vaccine folks.  

35 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I will handle this, @Antitroll2828.

Yes.

I think the school and many others are in bed with the CDC, FDA who approved the vaccines, medical science as well as the big pharma that developed these vaccines and have saved millions of lives already.  Its a good bed to jump into!  

The idea that the assistant coaches' reported decisions to elevate their own vaccine hesitation over the risks to the team and community constitutes an unfair deprivation of some individual right is flat wrong.   These individuals are free to exercise their rights to say no, just not to the risk and detriment of the team and school community whom the administration is dutybound to protect.   Individual rights do not exist in a vaccum and trump the duties we all have to the safety of the communities in which we interact.   Schools have every right to mandate vaccines for the noble purpose of lower the risk of adverse health impact on the school community in thhe midst of a deadly and harmful global pandemic.  

Except that the COVID shot isn’t a vaccine by definition so your point is moot 

also at most places an individual can get a religious exemption for certain vaccines and still be employed but apparently Kennedy and Howe were denied those as well 

How do you know they were denied religious exemptions?

Except that the COVID shot isn’t a vaccine by definition so your point is moot 

also at most places an individual can get a religious exemption for certain vaccines and still be employed but apparently Kennedy and Howe were denied those as well 

Religious exemptions for the Amish or somebody like Tom Ryan might be approved.  It's difficult to argue for a religious exemption when you have had every other vaccine already.  

31 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Do you ever try to talk down to people in the real life the way you do online? Bc I’m pretty confident if you did someone would have thrown you out a window by now 

if i thought you could be reasoned with i would, but i've seen you post here for long enough to know that you start with the answer you want and work backwards, quite sloppily, to come up with your reasoning.

i have no ill will towards you as a person and hope you are well, but when you confidently claim that Northwestern is mandating the vaccine because they're owned by Pfizer, ignoring all of the obvious reasons this is silly, i'm going to laugh at you.

5 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Bold prediction. 

If I'm hiring a future doctor, lawyer, financial advisor, however, I'll take the Northwestern grad. over the OSU national champ. No one wants to hear that A.J. Ferrari will be performing their open heart surgery.

Well I guess if someone is not going to be a future lawyer or doctor, they might as well just quit now. Why even go to college?? 

Stop acting like your life is the only way one should lead. You’ll start to see some things better. 

51 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The nba immediately shut down any mandatory vax talk and told the league offices it’s a complete non starter for league negotiations 

Not sure what your point is here..

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Well I guess if someone is not going to be a future lawyer or doctor, they might as well just quit now. Why even go to college?? 

Stop acting like your life is the only way one should lead. You’ll start to see some things better. 

NU is a better school than OSU and its degree carries more weight in the professional world (unless you're working for T. Boone Pickens apparently). You may not like this, but it's how the world works. For most athletes who choose NU, that's a material factor. Why are we not allowed to talk about it?

They aren't being fired, they are resigning.  They'll find a job in a red state and be replaced by people who are vaccinated. 

Let it be known that those of who insist they don't have to follow the rules are going to be cross referenced with their opinion of rules in the Cox weigh-in thread.

15 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

They aren't being fired, they are resigning.  They'll find a job in a red state and be replaced by people who are vaccinated. 

Let it be known that those of who insist they don't have to follow the rules are going to be cross referenced with their opinion of rules in the Cox weigh-in thread.

How dare you make anti-vaxxers support an African-American.

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

So mineo is reporting (with a link to source) that 18% of northwestern endowments come from Pfizer royalties so for all of you judging Kennedy and Howe for not vaxxing , it looks like this policy has nothing to do with actual health concerns and more to do with the fact northwestern higher ups are probably getting a payday to push this on the entire university 

Examine the phrase "mineo is reporting" and see if you can guess where you went wrong. 

Here is the actual quote from the website he appears to have doctored.

"Royalties from the drug, combined with a donation from Silverman, enabled the construction of Silverman Hall, a central hub for molecular therapeutics and diagnostic research at Northwestern."

And here is the link (a screenshot is not a link).

https://www.northwestern.edu/innovation/our-impact/richard-silverman.html

I also love that you saw no irony in using "fact" and "probably" in the same sentence.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Examine the phrase "mineo is reporting" and see if you can guess where you went wrong. 

Here is the actual quote from the website he appears to have doctored.

"Royalties from the drug, combined with a donation from Silverman, enabled the construction of Silverman Hall, a central hub for molecular therapeutics and diagnostic research at Northwestern."

And here is the link (a screenshot is not a link).

https://www.northwestern.edu/innovation/our-impact/richard-silverman.html

I also love that you saw no irony in using "fact" and "probably" in the same sentence.

And none of that said anything about 18% of the endowment.

9 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Unvaccinated or anti-vaxer? What's the definition of an anti-vaxer? 

It wasn't my idea to bring race into this, but I used Fletcher's term.  I'm not sure what an anti-vaxxer could be defined as, but there is a real issue with vax hesitancy among BlPOC + populations.

Also: often not mentioned, because many of us would rather trash each other politically.

Edited by AHamilton
conflicting literature on the issue