treep2000

WNO & NCAA Impact

This is a college wrestling forum, so, why not talk about potential upcoming recruits, like from last night's WNO and see how the predictions and posts age?  Afterall, most of the competitors picked to participate at WNO end up landing D1 spots, and ultimately AA, with many NCAA Champs already:

170:  Gabe Arnold won this.  Reminds me a bit of how Trent Hidlay wrestles.  Will be interesting to see his progression

106:  8th Grader Bo Bassett.  Wow!  Is this guy the next Spencer Lee?  Absolutely dismantled his opponent, and is only in 8th grade!  Most likely projects as a middleweight given he's 106 in 8th grade, but, as evidenced by the most recent Zillmer/Bradley match, anything can happen regarding each individual's physical growth and maturity.

182:  TJ Stewart.  Reminded me of how Dudley wrestles.  I assume projects as a 184.  Should be a good addition to the depth at 184 in coming years.

145:  Arrington.  Assumes to project at 157.  Will be fun to watch

113:  Davis.  One of the more dominating performances.  Assumed to project at 125 or 133.  Was a fun match to watch and will be interesting to see how he'll translate at the next level.

160:  Haines.  Was expecting big things from Haines, but he eaked out a squeaker vs. Barr.  Unsure of commitment (didn't look), but expect him to be a PSU recruit given his alignment with DT's club.

106:  Knox.  Wow!  Very impressive showing indeed.  Would now like to see Knox vs. Bassett.  Handled Lilledahl, who just had a Cadet Bronze.  His pressure appeared to be relentless.  

152:  Henson.  He seems legit.  Defeated a potentially injured Williams.  Assume he projects at 157.  Will be a tough out.

195:  Fishback.  Pulled it out over Nelson on a last second failed throw attempt.  Appeared gassed, but it didn't stop him from taking the crown.  Will be a fun addition to the depth at 197. 

138:  Swiderski.  Wow!  Everyone expected Mendez to steal the show and put up some numbers, but not last night.  It was Swiderski's show.  Technique.  Strength.  Athleticism.  Seems to be a complete package.  Assumed to project at 141/149?  

120:  Jesuroga.  Very controlled match.  Will be fun to see how he translates, presumably, at 125.

Big Man Supermatch:

* Carroll:  The 220lb Carroll is a gamer, and was right there with Feldman.  I saw no real size difference between the two.  The result was super-close.

* Feldman:  The #1 285 currently.  Appeared to be the about the same size as Carroll.  Has speed and athleticism, and reminds me a bit of Kyle Snyder in his style.  

However... as we think about translation.  Amos utterly demolished Carroll multiple times in the past few months.  Sure, Amos is now Jr. World Champ in Free and Jr. World Bronze in Greco, but, Amos also is projecting at 197, and may be an example of the step up in competition at 197 at NCAA's (not to mention Ferrari). Feldman's results vs. Carroll did not impress like I had expected, and at 285, with Parris, Kerk, Schultz, etc., it will still be a long road for Feldman at HWT.  Things will most likely change, but based on the eyeball test and some very loose "transitive property" play, not seeing either right now as NCAA Champ material (at least right off the bat).  

All in all, a fun show.  

You do Barr a serious injustice by knocking Haines for a close win. Barr is legit. Out of the same school as Metcalf, Reader and Donahoe  and came up through Team Donahoe and now at Davison under Roy Hall. 

On top of that he is only a Junior, is undefeated winning 2 Michigan HS State championships in rather convincing fashion and just won Junior Fargo Free. There is a pretty good reason he was Haines opponent!

Edited by MSU158

Are Feldman and Carroll doomed to be tweeners in college?  Last I heard Carroll was planning on being 197 and Feldman a Hwt.  Carroll said in an interview recently that he was 5' 10-3/4" tall.  As much as these two have already filled out, I can't see them getting a lot taller.

43 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

You do Barr a serious injustice by knocking Haines for a close win. Barr is legit. Out of the same school as Metcalf, Reader and Donahue and came up through Team Donahue and now at Davison under Roy Hall. 

On top of that he is only a Junior, is undefeated winning 2 Michigan HS State championships in rather convincing fashion and just won Junior Fargo Free. There is a pretty good reason he was Haines opponent!

Ok.  Thanks for the details.  Was a great match!

16 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Are Feldman and Carroll doomed to be tweeners in college?  Last I heard Carroll was planning on being 197 and Feldman a Hwt.  Carroll said in an interview recently that he was 5' 10-3/4" tall.  As much as these two have already filled out, I can't see them getting a lot taller.

Was  thinking the same thing.

19 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Carroll’s just a Junior so has an additional year to figure out where he ends up.  But the 197 to HWT gap does end up costing several solid athletes.  

10 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Carroll’s just a Junior so has an additional year to figure out where he ends up.  But the 197 to HWT gap does end up costing several solid athletes.  

It will never happen but I would like to see the NCAA decrease the gap between the 2 upper weights. Something like 210 (which would be close the the International weight of 97kg) and 265 max for HWT.

It will never happen but I would like to see the NCAA decrease the gap between the 2 upper weights. Something like 210 (which would be close the the International weight of 97kg) and 265 max for HWT.

I generally hate the idea of adding weights, but a 215/220 seems like a great move for both NCAA and developing bodies for our senior team.

53 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I generally hate the idea of adding weights, but a 215/220 seems like a great move for both NCAA and developing bodies for our senior team.

It would make a lot of sense to have our NCAA weights mirror the international weights.  What would be the logic, besides "that's the way its always been" or "that ain't American" to not align the weights?  10 international weights, 10 ncaa weights.  

For anyone wondering, here is a rough comparison of freestyle and college weights. Personally, I don't think college should have three weights above 200 lbs. Bumping 197 up a bit would be ok.

Freestyle
125, 134, 143, 154, 163, 174, 189, 203, 214, 275

College
125, 133, 141, 149, 157, 165, 174, 184, 197, 285

Also, as far as Rojas goes, he is a grinder.  He will grind and grind and grind.  From what I can see if a guy is truly elite in one major skill aspect, though, he will falter.  When it comes to grit and toughness he won't be had.

The only time he sniffed Facundo was when he got 'slammed' a few years back and got a DQ win.  If folks don't remember that, it was when his coaches audibly told him to take a dive and not continue, so their school would win.  Something like that.  I know Rojas wanted to continue and in the heat of the moment a lot of folks (myself included) thought it was the chicken $HlT way to go.  Rojas isn't a chicken $HlT in any way shape or form.  That said, he wasn't even close to Facundo, ever.  Bad style match, and I think that is what he ran in to at WNO.  I think he beats Arnold.

Both Rojas and Swiderski are Cyclone recruits.  Good showcase for them.  Swiderski slots right in at 141/149 and Rojas at 165/174(not convinced he is a 184lber-he's been there for the team but he isn't big).  Likely 174 so Carr can grow in to 165.

Carroll and Feldman were both under 230, from reports on the ground Feldman was like 228 and Carroll like 221 at the official weigh-ins.

Feldman was a little taller and more likely to fill into a Mason Parris type heavyweight.

Carroll seems to be closer to a Kyle Snyder type heavyweight with 197 still being a possibility as of now. As stated above he has two years left of high school so quite a bit of time to fill out more or stay the same size.

Either way, it doesn't look like we are going back to the boring heavyweights any time soon.

11 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Carroll and Feldman were both under 230, from reports on the ground Feldman was like 228 and Carroll like 221 at the official weigh-ins.

Feldman was a little taller and more likely to fill into a Mason Parris type heavyweight.

Carroll seems to be closer to a Kyle Snyder type heavyweight with 197 still being a possibility as of now. As stated above he has two years left of high school so quite a bit of time to fill out more or stay the same size.

Either way, it doesn't look like we are going back to the boring heavyweights any time soon.

I don't know if it was in the agreement, but it was stated various times throughout the broadcast as well as leading up to it that both would be within ten pounds of 220.

45 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I don't know if it was in the agreement, but it was stated various times throughout the broadcast as well as leading up to it that both would be within ten pounds of 220.

In my professional opinion Carroll took the match knowing full well that they would be within 10-15lbs. If Feldman was a bigger 250+ guy the match likely doesn't happen.

There were other matches were weights and weigh-in times were agreed upon by both camps, which adds to Flo's fun of dealing with kids and parents with pulling this event off.