bnwtwg

Russia wrestle-offs

46 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Interesting that Naifonov didn't get the privilege of not doing a wrestle off despite medaling at Tokyo. Strong team regardless. On paper the US will still have the strongest team though.

I imagine because he wasn't even one of the 'best' two in the field.  He has yet to get a win on Taylor or Yazdani.

5 minutes ago, spladle08 said:
3 hours ago, nhs67 said:
I imagine because he wasn't even one of the 'best' two in the field.  He has yet to get a win on Taylor or Yazdani.

Kurugliev looks so much more equipped when he wrestles them, but a lesser JB/Dake situation if you can't beat your countryman

Naifonov leads the series 4-2. All of their matches have been decided by a point or criteria. They've never scored more than 5 points collectively in their matches either.

And I agree that Kurugliev is a tougher match-up for David Taylor. Naifonov is 5 years younger tho (24 compared to 29) so Russia might view Naifonov as their future.

Naifonov leads the series 4-2. All of their matches have been decided by a point or criteria. They've never scored more than 5 points collectively in their matches either.
And I agree that Kurugliev is a tougher match-up for David Taylor. Naifonov is 5 years younger tho (24 compared to 29) so Russia might view Naifonov as their future.
I didn't get to complete my thought, somebody came in and started a conversation. (So I just hit send)

But I like what you added, I knew all the matches were close but never more than 5pts wow that's insane

4 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

Interesting that Naifonov didn't get the privilege of not doing a wrestle off despite medaling at Tokyo. Strong team regardless. On paper the US will still have the strongest team though.

The Russian coaches see the same thing we do. He hasn't been competitive enough with Yazdani and Taylor. Not that young anymore either. So they are exploring their options.  If he was 19 instead of mid 20s they'd look at it differently.  

18 minutes ago, HawkY said:

The Russian coaches see the same thing we do. He hasn't been competitive enough with Yazdani and Taylor. Not that young anymore either. So they are exploring their options.  If he was 19 instead of mid 20s they'd look at it differently.  

So they're testing with a guy five years older?  Would be better if they were throwing a young guy out in that scenario then yeah?

Anyone know why Russia's #2 at 74 isn't competing?  I can't recall his name at the moment, but he's beaten Sidakov at Russian Nats at least once, and seems like the obvious next in line (especially with Tsabolov leaving for Georgia).

Also curious about the apparent absence of both Gadzhimagomedovs, and especially the one who beat Dake at 79 a few years ago.  The other one was either a 65 or 70, and very good as well.  Are one or both injured?  Retired?

Finally, is Dave Baev still the top guy at 70, or merely one of many contenders?  Given Ivan's tweet, the latter seems likely, but as young as Baev is (unless I'm mistaken), and as good as he's been, I didn't expect 70 to be so wide open.

7 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Anyone know why Russia's #2 at 74 isn't competing?  I can't recall his name at the moment, but he's beaten Sidakov at Russian Nats at least once, and seems like the obvious next in line (especially with Tsabolov leaving for Georgia).

Also curious about the apparent absence of both Gadzhimagomedovs, and especially the one who beat Dake at 79 a few years ago.  The other one was either a 65 or 70, and very good as well.  Are one or both injured?  Retired?

Finally, is Dave Baev still the top guy at 70, or merely one of many contenders?  Given Ivan's tweet, the latter seems likely, but as young as Baev is (unless I'm mistaken), and as good as he's been, I didn't expect 70 to be so wide open.

Zhamalov (Russias #2 at 74) had surgery on his shoulder after Euros-in May.

Gadzhimagomedov has been competing at 86 for the past year and a half. Took bronze at 2021 Rus Nats.

David Baev is probably number 3 or 4 at 70kg but the margins are slim. Kasumov won Rus Nats in March but Baev was trying to make the Olympics at 65kg. Cherman Valiev beat Baev in the finals of 2020 Rus Nats (October 2020). Also, Shiraev beat Baev at the Yarygin in May.

39 minutes ago, whaletail said:

I don't think Zhamalov beat Sidakov.  It was a different Ruskie, then Zhamalov beat that Ruskie.  @Jon_Kozak can likely confirm this.

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I don't think Zhamalov beat Sidakov.  It was a different Ruskie, then Zhamalov beat that Ruskie.  @Jon_Kozak can likely confirm this.

Right-Tsabolov is who beat Sidakov at 2020 Russian Nationals. Then Zhamalov beat Tsabolov in the finals. Zhamalov then went on to win the World Cup over Frank Chamizo in December of 2020.

Then at 2021 Russian Nationals, Sidakov beat Zhamaolov in the finals of Russian Nationals. Russia sent Zhamalov to 2021 Euros. That's where Zhamalov injured his shoulder and he lost to Salkazanov and Chamizo.

27 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Right-Tsabolov is who beat Sidakov at 2020 Russian Nationals. Then Zhamalov beat Tsabolov in the finals. Zhamalov then went on to win the World Cup over Frank Chamizo in December of 2020.

Then at 2021 Russian Nationals, Sidakov beat Zhamaolov in the finals of Russian Nationals. Russia sent Zhamalov to 2021 Euros. That's where Zhamalov injured his shoulder and he lost to Salkazanov and Chamizo.

Sweet.  I'm not always wrong.

Can someone pin this somewhere so I can resort to using it as proof in the future?

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

So they're testing with a guy five years older?  Would be better if they were throwing a young guy out in that scenario then yeah?

I don't think they are testing long term with either of them. You have what you have to work with and at 86 it looks like they are trying to send the best person to win this event. If thats a 36 year old who retires next year so be it. My only point was that if Naifanov was early 20s they'd be more tempted to trot him out again as wrestlers can make big jumps in a very short amount of time when they are less than 23 or so. 

Edited by HawkY

8 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Zhamalov (Russias #2 at 74) had surgery on his shoulder after Euros-in May.

Gadzhimagomedov has been competing at 86 for the past year and a half. Took bronze at 2021 Rus Nats.

David Baev is probably number 3 or 4 at 70kg but the margins are slim. Kasumov won Rus Nats in March but Baev was trying to make the Olympics at 65kg. Cherman Valiev beat Baev in the finals of 2020 Rus Nats (October 2020). Also, Shiraev beat Baev at the Yarygin in May.

There is another Gadzi at 74kg, magomedrasool Gadzimagomedov. He is probably the 3rd behind Sidakov and Zhamalov.  He was also 2 time world champion at 70kg (defeated Hassan Yazdani in 2015 worlds final at 70kg, he also won worlds in 2018).  By the way - he did have a win over Zhamalov in 2019 or 2018. I am rooting for him to win the spot. 

2 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Interesting to see that Sadulaev is going. I seriously wonder if he is trying to make sure Snyder doesn’t win anymore titles as long as he is around.

He is chasing Medved. Wants to beat 10 and 7 as soon as possible.