Crash

Who has had a better wrestling career so far?

Dake, has the edge in their college career. As for international, Dake has two World titles to DT’s one. However DT has an Olympic Gold to Dake’s Bronze. So I guess it’s about how much value you place on a Olympic Gold, compared to a World title and an Olympic Bronze. DT did beat Yazdani, ( one of the World’s premier wrestlers ), so maybe that may be a factor as well in one’s consideration. As for me, I think I would take a World title and an Olympic Bronze over an Olympic Gold. I know that an Olympic Gold is the ultimate prize, and this will probably meet with some disagreement with people on this forum. 

The answer is easily Taylor.  In the sport of wrestling, nothing matters more than Olympic Gold.  I guarantee you that Taylor wouldn't trade it for all his head to head losses with Dake or his 2 extra NCAA titles.  Dake has had an outstanding career that stacks up with anybody's the country has  ever produced who hasn't won an Olympic gold medal and who isn't named Lee Kemp.  

Very close. An argument could be made for either resume.

Dake had an all-time great collegiate career so that counts for something. Internationally I give Taylor the slight edge. 2 world/Olympic golds (in a more competitive weight class) + Yarygin gold vs 2 golds in a less competitive weight, 74kg Oly bronze + Yarygin silver. 

5 minutes ago, AZ_wrestling said:

Very close. An argument could be made for either resume.

Dake had an all-time great collegiate career so that counts for something. Internationally I give Taylor the slight edge. 2 world/Olympic golds (in a more competitive weight class) + Yarygin gold vs 2 golds in a less competitive weight, 74kg Oly bronze + Yarygin silver. 

When you ask who the best football, baseball, or basketball players are ever, do you factor in their college careers? 

5 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

When you ask who the best football, baseball, or basketball players are ever, do you factor in their college careers? 

Are you a booster, alum, or general fan?

10 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Not the same, and you know that.  I bet NCAA wrestling has many more fans than senior freestyle here in the US.  Many consider NCAA / folkstyle as the pinnacle. You clearly disagree.  All good.  

I get why people would pick Taylor.  I’m in the camp of putting Olympic gold in a higher tier, but not a much higher tier.  I also feel that one tournament, even if it is the Olympics, does not wipe out the 10 years of prior history with Dake out placing Taylor in almost every common tournament (including almost every WTTs and OTT) up until they both won a gold at worlds in 2018

Edited by nom

18 minutes ago, nom said:

Not the same, and you know that.  I bet NCAA wrestling has many more fans than senior freestyle here in the US.  Many consider NCAA / folkstyle as the pinnacle. You clearly disagree.  All good.  

I get why people would pick Taylor.  I’m in the camp of putting Olympic gold in a higher tier, but not a much higher tier.  I also feel that one tournament, even if it is the Olympics, does not wipe out the 10 years of prior history with Dake out placing Taylor in almost every common tournament (including almost every WTTs and OTT) up until they both won a gold at worlds in 2018

Then maybe Dake should move up to 86kg and see how he does against DT (and if he can win Olympic gold)

24 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Are you a booster, alum, or general fan?

Of what?

21 minutes ago, nom said:

Until this past summer, I would have said that Dake clearly had the better career. Nobody involved in the sport actually considers NCAA wrestling to be the pinnacle though.  Maybe some fans who only follow NCAA and high school wrestling do, but there is no question at the moment who has had the better overall career.  

Likewise, there are some parts of the country that follow college football, but hate the NFL.  But even if you are in the most rural part of Alabama, Tom Brady still had a better football career than Tim Tebow.  # of fans does not equate to greatness of an athlete-what matters is performance at the highest level.  NCAA wrestling is essentially the minor leagues and about as prestigious as junior worlds (arguably it's less prestigious).  

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 hour ago, de4856 said:

As for me, I think I would take a World title and an Olympic Bronze over an Olympic Gold

That is not the comparison. Taylor has an Olympic Gold and a World Title at an Olympic Weight. Why would you create a straw man argument, presenting Taylor as having only an Olympic Gold? 

39 minutes ago, jross said:

What about the metadata - who has more money, power, and influence?  Taylor has more Twitter and Instagram followers.  That Olympic gold is the difference for now.

The problem with the USA, here in a nutshell! Question: "Who has had a better wrestling career so far?" I feel that most of the readers of this blog do not require an explanation of the sport of wrestling and its purity, its beauty, its integrity. The Reply: "Who has more money, power, and influence? Taylor has more Twitter and Instagram followers."

I laughed long and hard, realizing all the while how damn sad this is.

19 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Of what?

Until this past summer, I would have said that Dake clearly had the better career. Nobody involved in the sport actually considers NCAA wrestling to be the pinnacle though.  Maybe some fans who only follow NCAA and high school wrestling do, but there is no question at the moment who has had the better overall career.  

Likewise, there are some parts of the country that follow college football, but hate the NFL.  But even if you are in the most rural part of Alabama, Tom Brady still had a better football career than Tim Tebow.  # of fans does not equate to greatness of an athlete-what matters is performance at the highest level.  NCAA wrestling is essentially the minor leagues and about as prestigious as junior worlds (arguably it's less prestigious).  

I find it funny that the Russians call NCAA's "student wrestling". Lets you know where they stand on the issue.

I think the real answer lies within the athletes. 
And that said….I think if you ask any world but non Olympic champ who had the better career, you or (enter Olympic champ here)…..they are going to say the other guy. 

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Yes, but not much. But in wrestling, college is of supreme importance. So is head to head.

I think a good question would be to ask if the wrestlers would trade career results if given the chance. Taylor definitely declines the offer after winning gold. It's a closer call with Dake. If you include college, maybe he says no. If it's just post-college, I bet he would trade.