wrstlingfan937

What college will Jesse Méndez go to?!

I've always thought IU had to be at the top of the list for him because of his hometown connections with "DaRegion".  But that top tier RTC part....

Yes my exact thoughts and the fact he has been being coached by the tsirtsis brother and Escobedo for years now. The rtc part does scare me but hell he might just look at their rtc and say they fit his needs. He does have 3 solid guys (Escobedo, tsirtsis, Jordan) to train and mentor from and they are on the uprise of getting more and more talent there. Just wish he’d commit already so I can stop wondering lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, websterk149 said:

Yes my exact thoughts and the fact he has been being coached by the tsirtsis brother and Escobedo for years now. The rtc part does scare me but hell he might just look at their rtc and say they fit his needs. He does have 3 solid guys (Escobedo, tsirtsis, Jordan) to train and mentor from and they are on the uprise of getting more and more talent there. Just wish he’d commit already so I can stop wondering lol

Yeah I hear ya and was thinking the same thing. And thinking being the guy to really get things going at IU might be very attractive. But if RTC is important, and there’s an RTC calling with two Olympic champ coaches and that just bagged four Olympic medals…..tough to resist. 

Yeah I hear ya and was thinking the same thing. And thinking being the guy to really get things going at IU might be very attractive. But if RTC is important, and there’s an RTC calling with two Olympic champ coaches and that just bagged four Olympic medals…..tough to resist. 

I’m praying to all the gods and everyone that them having Bartlett steers him away from there lol but you’re right. Time will tell just want him to at least announce a date he plans to commit or some update it’s killing me lol

8 hours ago, Bozak2018 said:

How do we know that the coaches can develop talent?  They were all elite wrestlers, but they are young in their coaching careers and really have no track record of developing guys.  I think if IU was a little more established on that end, that maybe Mendez would go there.  But I just think with his aspirations that there are better places for him to go to reach those heights than IU.

Take a look at Washington. He’s made tremendous strides, and continues to impress, from where he came in at. Coaching can be the only answer. 

On 9/24/2021 at 4:43 PM, websterk149 said:

Jordan isn't on staff any more.

On 9/24/2021 at 8:34 PM, southend said:

Take a look at Washington. He’s made tremendous strides, and continues to impress, from where he came in at. Coaching can be the only answer. 

Like I said in a previous post, Washington has done better than his more credentialed teammates.  Guys like Asa Garcia, South, Moran, etc. haven't done much of anything since arriving on campus. 

Look, I hope Indiana can eventually climb out of the basement of the BIG, but the jury is still out on whether they can do it or not.  It is still very early in Angel's coaching career and I'm sure IU will give him time.  But that time needs to come sooner rather than later.  I'm just not sure the program is in a place to be attractive to maybe the most sought after Indiana recruit ever.

36 minutes ago, Bozak2018 said:

Like I said in a previous post, Washington has done better than his more credentialed teammates.  Guys like Asa Garcia, South, Moran, etc. haven't done much of anything since arriving on campus. 

Look, I hope Indiana can eventually climb out of the basement of the BIG, but the jury is still out on whether they can do it or not.  It is still very early in Angel's coaching career and I'm sure IU will give him time.  But that time needs to come sooner rather than later.  I'm just not sure the program is in a place to be attractive to maybe the most sought after Indiana recruit ever.

Fair enough, the jury is still out on development. But it definitely will take a leap of faith by Jesse to sign on. 

2 hours ago, websterk149 said:

He was in the iu school of law program tho. Wonder if he is focusing on that or joined a law firm possibly?

Was he?

Just found his LinkedInn. He's up at McKinney (IUPUI Law School) up in Indianapolis, not Maurer in Bloomington.

Edited by uncle bernard

Was he?
Just found his LinkedInn. He's up at McKinney (IUPUI Law School) up in Indianapolis, not Maurer in Bloomington.

I saw the “IU McKinney law school” and went with iu and not the iupui one. Yes you are correct!

28 minutes ago, southend said:

Maurer is a little harder to get in

definitely. i'm also wondering if he's eyeing a career in politics like his father. he might be better situated to make connections with the big time republicans in Indianapolis than he would be down in Bloomington. 

4 hours ago, websterk149 said:

I mean..don’t you gotta be a elite kid to get invited to wrestle in that? My bad bud, why don’t you tell us about your WNO wins and ncaa titles lol

You took it complete in the other direction.  Obviously he is getting a scholarship (and probably a full ride) from somewhere as one of the top ranked HS wrestling recruits in the country.  But with the way you guys are talking about him on this thread, I was expecting a Kyle Snyder, Spencer Lee, or Gable Steveson level guy coming out of high school--a program changing type of recruit.  After watching the match against Swiderski, I don't know if he that type of guy.   

You took it complete in the other direction.  Obviously he is getting a scholarship (and probably a full ride) from somewhere as one of the top ranked HS wrestling recruits in the country.  But with the way you guys are talking about him on this thread, I was expecting a Kyle Snyder, Spencer Lee, or Gable Steveson level guy coming out of high school--a program changing type of recruit.  After watching the match against Swiderski, I don't know if he that type of guy.   

Drink another for me will ya bud lol spencer lee got beat by desanto in finals his senior year. Snyder got pinned his freshman year of college in ncaa finals. Steveson didn’t win state at age 13…terrible recruits if you ask me can’t win the big ones I don’t understand the hype of those guys lmao mind you that was Jesse’s first match back after having knee surgery, after making the finals of u23 trials as junior in HS…
giphy.gif

11 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Serious question, is that the only match you have ever watched of him?  I'm going to have to assume it is.  I have watched him quite a bit and can tell you that wasn't the full Mendez we saw who absolutely tore through the junior world trials, and then was tearing through the U23 trails until he tore his knee, rehabbed as quick as he could so he could compete in worlds at far less than 100%.  Not making excuses for the match, the kid did a great job, but you could see Mendez wasn't in top form.  He had a whirlwind of a summer, I think most who have watched him over the last couple of years can understand a little bit of a slip in an exhibition match.......and he was still a hand placement about six inches lower from winning it.

The people who watch these kids on a regular basis because that is their profession have him as the pound for pound top HS kid in the country.....that's not hype, that's substance.

Edited by Lurker