wrstlingfan937

What college will Jesse Méndez go to?!

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

Serious question, is that the only match you have ever watched of him?  I'm going to have to assume it is.  I have watched him quite a bit and can tell you that wasn't the full Mendez we saw who absolutely tore through the junior world trials, and then was tearing through the U23 trails until he tore his knee, rehabbed as quick as he could so he could compete in worlds at far less than 100%.  Not making excuses for the match, the kid did a great job, but you could see Mendez wasn't in top form.  He had a whirlwind of a summer, I think most who have watched him over the last couple of years can understand a little bit of a slip in an exhibition match.......and he was still a hand placement about six inches lower from winning it.

The people who watch these kids on a regular basis because that is their profession have him as the pound for pound top HS kid in the country.....that's not hype, that's substance.

Is Mendez an NCAA Div-1 All-American as a true freshman?   If he picks Penn State, does he beat out Bartlett or Van Ness?  If he picks Ohio State, does he beat out Echemendia or whoever they start at 141 next year?

16 hours ago, websterk149 said:

Drink another for me will ya bud lol spencer lee got beat by desanto in finals his senior year. Snyder got pinned his freshman year of college in ncaa finals. Steveson didn’t win state at age 13…terrible recruits if you ask me can’t win the big ones I don’t understand the hype of those guys lmao mind you that was Jesse’s first match back after having knee surgery, after making the finals of u23 trials as junior in HS…
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spencer, KS, and Gable all placed top-3 at NCAA's as true freshmen.  So you're telling me that Mendez is that level of talent?

3 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Is Mendez an NCAA Div-1 All-American as a true freshman?   If he picks Penn State, does he beat out Bartlett or Van Ness?  If he picks Ohio State, does he beat out Echemendia or whoever they start at 141 next year?

Both schools are recruiting him hard, so thus I'd say Tommy and Cael both feel he would be an integral part of their lineup right away.

10 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

All that will be answered in the future, when they compete., although he has beaten Van Ness within the past year, as well as beaten All-Americans in the past year prior to his senior year in HS.  

You didn't answer my question though, is that the first time you have seen him wrestle?  Your post made it sound like so.  I'm just curious

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

All that will be answered in the future, when they compete., although he has beaten Van Ness within the past year, as well as beaten All-Americans in the past year prior to his senior year in HS.  

You didn't answer my question though, is that the first time you have seen him wrestle?  Your post made it sound like so.  I'm just curious

Van Ness beat him at WNO in 2019.

I've never seen him wrestle in-person.  But in addition to the WNO match against SVN, I've also watched world team trials match against the younger Ferrari.  

You're right, I was thinking he turned the tables on him the next year but not finding it, so I'll take the L on that one.

The kid is the real deal.  You're not sold, all good, we all feel that about someone.  But as was said above the big dogs all want him bad....its not hype, its for real.  You don't get to a #1 pound for pound ranking without substance.  He has a serious motor, wrestles very mature for his age, great position, great hand fighting, really good technique.  That's what I see at least.

You're right, I was thinking he turned the tables on him the next year but not finding it, so I'll take the L on that one.
The kid is the real deal.  You're not sold, all good, we all feel that about someone.  But as was said above the big dogs all want him bad....its not hype, its for real.  You don't get to a #1 pound for pound ranking without substance.  He has a serious motor, wrestles very mature for his age, great position, great hand fighting, really good technique.  That's what I see at least.

The guy is either trolling or just does not know how rankings, wrestling credentials, what it means when all top schools want him, etc. just wasting our time here lol

2 minutes ago, websterk149 said:

The guy is either trolling or just does not know how rankings, wrestling credentials, what it means when all top schools want him, etc. just wasting our time here lol

ehhh.....some people aren't sold until they actually see them against the big dogs.  I've been that way with some top recruits in the past, we all have.

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

ehhh.....some people aren't sold until they actually see them against the big dogs.  I've been that way with some top recruits in the past, we all have.

Bro he teched  Mckee like 2 months ago...... yes it was freestyle and not folk style but that in my book is considered a big dog win and he did this as a junior in high school.

Just now, wrstlingfan937 said:

Bro he teched  Mckee like 2 months ago...... yes it was freestyle and not folk style but that in my book is considered a big dog win and he did this as a junior in high school.

I agree with you. He’s beaten a couple all-Americans. But Shaka was throwing out Lee, Gable, KS, so I’m assuming he wants to see Mendez against that level of big dog before he’s sold. I’m not agreeing with him, I’m just seeing his point of view. I realize that makes me some kind of idiot around here….but oh well. 

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

I agree with you. He’s beaten a couple all-Americans. But Shaka was throwing out Lee, Gable, KS, so I’m assuming he wants to see Mendez against that level of big dog before he’s sold. I’m not agreeing with him, I’m just seeing his point of view. I realize that makes me some kind of idiot around here….but oh well. 

Along a similar line of thinking I’m going to wait until he can beat a prime Dan Gable and John Smith back to back, followed by a prime Brock Lesner and Jon Jones in the octagon, then prime Flair and Hogan in a triple threat steel cage match, and just to ensure it wasn’t all luck we will go international and he can face a Sicilian in a battle of wits when death is on the line.  If he make it through all of this I maybe sold he could win a couple college matches.  Inconceivable!

Edited by MadMardigain

Nah not an idiot. I do get his point of view in a way too (although I think Mendez last match was the guys first time ever watching him) and your view as well but like, come on lol he wouldn’t be invited to WNO 4 years in a row, wouldn’t be ranked a top P4P goin on 2 years now, be a top kid to watch in any tourney if he wasn’t legit and someone to better a program immediately. We’re comparing him to someone like Lee but Lee got beat by desanto at state tourney a year after teching him and even Snyder n steveson got beat as freshmen ncaa so even they lost

2 hours ago, southend said:

The man will be an asset to any school he decides to wrestle for. They won’t regret the scholarship offer.  

Ah look at it this way if in some great fantasy land everyone starts believing he’s downgraded, then IU could possibly have a shot at him. 

20 hours ago, wrstlingfan937 said:

That was a good win for Mendez, but it should be noted that McKee was registered at 57 kg for this event, but bumped up at the last minute.

Pat McKee is interesting. He's very hot and cold. 8th at Big Tens, 3rd at NCAAs. 

EDIT: Don't want to take away from what Mendez did, there's 3-4 years of results showing he is a big time talent. 

Edited by IGotAPlan

For some reason I’m letting his non medal at worlds bother me.  Couple this with the many other guys that did great and I’m wondering if the worship has been overdone.  Then the loss at whose number one …

I’m being harsh, I know.  I know little about him.  But the fawning over him made me think he’d do better at worlds.  

10 hours ago, nom said:

For some reason I’m letting his non medal at worlds bother me.  Couple this with the many other guys that did great and I’m wondering if the worship has been overdone.  Then the loss at whose number one …

I’m being harsh, I know.  I know little about him.  But the fawning over him made me think he’d do better at worlds.  

I agree tough jr worlds for him.  61 was a brutal bracket as some of those guys have beaten some really good world level wrestlers, the Russian and Iranian were really good.  No excuses but I am not sure he was 100% for that tournament.  He did just have knee surgery a couple months before.  The loss to Swiderski was puzzling, he did not seem ready for that match like Swiderski was.

Edited by smitty11

19 hours ago, IGotAPlan said:

Pat McKee is interesting. He's very hot and cold. 8th at Big Tens, 3rd at NCAAs. 

EDIT: Don't want to take away from what Mendez did, there's 3-4 years of results showing he is a big time talent. 

Pat McKee wrestles at 125, he was wrestling up, and it was a freestyle match .  McKee's NCAA 3rd was also in a division with no Pat Glory or Vito Arujau.  Doesn't Mendez project at 141?  

On 9/28/2021 at 10:16 AM, Lurker said:

Exactly, how does he stack up against the likes of Yianni, Demas, Real Woods, Alirez?  Those guys will all still be around during his true freshman year.  

5 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Pat McKee wrestles at 125, he was wrestling up, and it was a freestyle match .  McKee's NCAA 3rd was also in a division with no Pat Glory or Vito Arujau.  Doesn't Mendez project at 141?  

Exactly, how does he stack up against the likes of Yianni, Demas, Real Woods, Alirez?  Those guys will all still be around during his true freshman year.  

Agreed, but at the same time I don't think I've seen anyone "hyping" him to be a freshman champ either.  In fact a red-shirt is far from out of the question.  I think the typical fever (there's always a few in a crowd that overhype, no matter who we're talking about)  is at a place like penn state/iowa, his ceiling is very high by the time he gets through college.  At a place like IU, he could be a program changer, but what is his development going to be like vs a grounded, proven staff, like penn state/nlwc

36 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Agreed, but at the same time I don't think I've seen anyone "hyping" him to be a freshman champ either.  In fact a red-shirt is far from out of the question.  I think the typical fever (there's always a few in a crowd that overhype, no matter who we're talking about)  is at a place like penn state/iowa, his ceiling is very high by the time he gets through college.  At a place like IU, he could be a program changer, but what is his development going to be like vs a grounded, proven staff, like penn state/nlwc

This is a fair take.  With that being said, I hope he goes to IU.