uncle bernard

Spencer Lee Questions Answered

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4ZPZNYBbRHfcJoFY8aWlTB?si=uX8h4bAlQXWhOBqwN6mdXg&dl_branch=1

A lot of people on here have done a lot of speculating about Spencer's health decisions. Good news is that he answers just about all of those questions in this interview.

Some basic notes:

His knees are more adaptable than usual. Post-tear he's able to do a lot of the physical tests people aren't usually able to do like jump and push off. 

Didn't have surgery after the 2019 tear because he was so frustrated about how long it takes to come back from surgery and his knee still felt pretty good, so he decided to just try rehab. That was apparently really successful.

The success of that decision is why he chose not to have surgery on the recent tear. He did mention possibly taking a year off in the future to get them repaired, but doesn't seem like a plan at the moment.

7 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Are you suggesting there should be a surgery mandate :)

Haha. I was being sarcastic. I think, just based on the many interviews Ive seen Lee, his father, and the Brandses give, that Lee has a lot more say in what goes on than is typical for a college wrestler so I find it interesting when folks pile on the Iowa coaches for what they perceive to be mismanagement of their star athlete (not that they're above reproach fwiw). No insider info so my take may definitely be the wrong one

I'm not gonna listen to the podcast. Does he talk about freestyle at all? I understand his injuries and rehab have kept him out for several years now, but just curious if he addressed this at all and the plans for the future.

5 hours ago, Crotalus said:

I'm not gonna listen to the podcast. Does he talk about freestyle at all? I understand his injuries and rehab have kept him out for several years now, but just curious if he addressed this at all and the plans for the future.

He said he might take a year off to get some repairs done at some point. He also said he plans on competing until his body doesn't let him.

6 hours ago, Crotalus said:

He does imply that had Gilman not medaled, he would have been at the trials. Said it sucked that he had to miss worlds too because his weight wasn't contested.

7 hours ago, Crotalus said:

The podcast is nearly two hours!

11 hours ago, jammen said:

Except when you need them after an underwhelming finals performance.

Wasn’t the score 7-ZILCH?  I mean when your opponent doesn’t score a single point and runs for most of the match I have a hard time considering that underwhelming. 

Tell me, has J Rob finally sold off the last of his stash he confiscated from Early and the boys???

On 9/24/2021 at 11:05 AM, jammen said:

Except when you need them after an underwhelming finals performance.

In the 2021 NCAA Finals these were the winning margins...

2 matches were decided by 1 pt (both 3-2)
4 matches were decided by 2 points (3 of which were a TD in OT)
3 matches were decided by 4 pts

and then Lee won 7-0.

8 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

In the 2021 NCAA Finals these were the winning margins...

2 matches were decided by 1 pt (both 3-2)
4 matches were decided by 2 points (3 of which were a TD in OT)
3 matches were decided by 4 pts

and then Lee won 7-0.

And lets not forget that 7-0 was against a guy who looked like his goal was to not lose by 8. Courtney looked like he used that match to work on his cardio.

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

And lets not forget that 7-0 was against a guy who looked like his goal was to not lose by 8. Courtney looked like he used that match to work on his cardio.

Not that I want to agree with Jammen, but, by Lee's standards, the whole tournament was a "lackluster" performance