uncle bernard

Spencer Lee Questions Answered

The 2021 NCAA tournament is about as bad as you can expect Spencer to look since it was a fresh tear. With rehab, he should be better. I know he looked great in 2019-2020 with one ACL after rehab but curious how he'll look without any after rehab, feel it's just a different animal but if anyone can adjust to it, it's Spencer. Obviously he'll still be dominant considering he just basically bonused his way through another tournament. 

2 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

How is this a bad tourney?

16-1 Rnd 1
15-5 Rnd 2
10-2 Quarter
11-0 Semi 
7-0 Final

Relative to his performance from the prior 2 years, it was a "bad" tourney for Spencer. Killian Cardinale didn't just go the distance, he scored 2 takedowns on Lee! Also, keep in mind that, in the quarters vs Schroeder it was something like 3-2 going to the 3rd period. I don't think it's a slight to say that Lee's performance that weekend was a low point. For him. Because that's the standard he has set

28 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

How is this a bad tourney?

16-1 Rnd 1
15-5 Rnd 2
10-2 Quarter
11-0 Semi 
7-0 Final

That's just the standard that Spencer Lee set. That is a bad tournament for him.

Don't forget how close the Schroeder match was, Spencer himself admitted it, he felt he could lose that during the third until he got the reversal and 4NF. 

He couldn't sprawl or drop to a knee. 

1 minute ago, IGotAPlan said:

He couldn't sprawl or drop to a knee. 

I hear ya all, but it was the most, "Spencer Lee" thing he could do. Wasn't it?

No ACL's, couldn't sprawl or drop to a knee. We all saw him almost get snapped through the mat and his closest win was by seven. 

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Is it the case that he has had no surgeries on any of his ACL tears?  I am not advocating it, but if he were to get surgery on both knees, how long would he be out of action?

He got the high school tear replaced. And then re-tore it in college. He has not gotten the last two replaced.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

He got the high school tear repaired. And then re-tore it in college. He has not gotten the last two repaired.

1 hour ago, jammen said:

It's nice that he has it in his back pocket for when needed.

ACL's don't get "repaired" and you can't save em in your back pocket.

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Fixed my part, but I'm pretty sure you can put an ACL in your back pocket. Perhaps not advisable, but possible.

Yes you can "put" them in your back pocket but you can't "save" them there, otherwise I'd have 3 pockets full of ACLs I could sell to Spencer.    :)

17 hours ago, ionel said:

Yes you can "put" them in your back pocket but you can't "save" them there, otherwise I'd have 3 pockets full of ACLs I could sell to Spencer.    :)

Assuming the back pocket is closed with a button or Velcro, they can be saved and considered safe for a washer and dryer.  I bet they get dry and sharp over time, but I'm speculating.

Well, I'm glad to hear that going forward Spencer will no longer have any excuses in his back pocket.  

I remember Nick Heflin's 2014 interview about his injuries.  "At this stage of the tournament everyone is banged up with something.  there's no need to talk about them."

1 hour ago, jammen said:

Well, I'm glad to hear that going forward Spencer will no longer have any excuses in his back pocket.  

I remember Nick Heflin's 2014 interview about his injuries.  "At this stage of the tournament everyone is banged up with something.  there's no need to talk about them."

Just curious: How many national titles had Heflin won at that point, and which of those title wins was the most underwhelming?  Thanks!

P.S.  Are we talking about the Nick Heflin who lost to Pat Downey and has basically been out of competition with injuries since 2019?

Edited by AHamilton

20 minutes ago, wcoyote said:

Are you insinuating Lee would use this as an excuse if he was to lose?   Not following your logic other than you may dislike Lee

Pretty tough guy to dislike, I would think.  Seems to be pretty well-liked by many of the other top wrestlers.

I don't dislike Spencer Lee, just trying to make sense of all the contradictory drama surrounding him.  HR concludes that he will be on a pitch count this year and will see very limited action.  Surgery is not an option and only time will tell.

18 hours ago, jammen said:

I don't dislike Spencer Lee, just trying to make sense of all the contradictory drama surrounding him.  HR concludes that he will be on a pitch count this year and will see very limited action.  Surgery is not an option and only time will tell.

On 9/29/2021 at 3:17 PM, AHamilton said:

Just curious: How many national titles had Heflin won at that point, and which of those title wins was the most underwhelming?  Thanks!

P.S.  Are we talking about the Nick Heflin who lost to Pat Downey and has basically been out of competition with injuries since 2019?

On 9/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, jammen said:

So what is the "contradictory drama?"  I don't know of any contradictions.

Speaking of contradictions, could you please answer my question?  I am not sure we are talking about the same Heflin.

On 9/29/2021 at 1:17 PM, AHamilton said:

Might be the same guy.  I haven't heard anything specific about his injuries.

Nick Heflin lost in the 2014 NCAA finals 2-1 to Cox.  After a tough semi win over Schiller Heflin was asked about the injuries that he was dealing with.  His admirable response was that at this stage of tournament everyone was dealing with injuries so there was no need to talk about them.  Yanni took that advice wrestling 3 matches with a torn ACL when he won the 2018 title. 

3 minutes ago, jammen said:

Nick Heflin lost in the 2014 NCAA finals 2-1 to Cox.  After a tough semi win over Schiller Heflin was asked about the injuries that he was dealing with.  His admirable response was that at this stage of tournament everyone was dealing with injuries so there was no need to talk about them.  Yanni took that advice wrestling 3 matches with a torn ACL when he won the 2018 title. 

Terrible logic.  Wrestling through injury is admirable.  Wrestling like you don't actually have that injury is ignorant...If someone asks, what is the issue with answering.  In damn near every other sport, injuries are common knowledge.  In a sport like wrestling, where an injury/illness can seriously effect performance, honesty is way different than giving an excuse!