uncle bernard

Spencer Lee Questions Answered

2 hours ago, jammen said:

Nick Heflin lost in the 2014 NCAA finals 2-1 to Cox.  After a tough semi win over Schiller Heflin was asked about the injuries that he was dealing with.  His admirable response was that at this stage of tournament everyone was dealing with injuries so there was no need to talk about them.  Yanni took that advice wrestling 3 matches with a torn ACL when he won the 2018 title. 

Bad example.

What advice did YIanni take?  Fans at the 2018 championship knew he had been assessed with a torn ACL.  Everyone in the wrestling world knew the next week.  

On 9/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, jammen said:

Well, I'm glad to hear that going forward Spencer will no longer have any excuses in his back pocket.  

I remember Nick Heflin's 2014 interview about his injuries.  "At this stage of the tournament everyone is banged up with something.  there's no need to talk about them."

Imagine the guy who switches back and forth between Nebraska and Minny telling Spencer Lee, three time NCAA champion going for 4, to stop making excuses.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:11 PM, jammen said:

Nick Heflin lost in the 2014 NCAA finals 2-1 to Cox.  After a tough semi win over Schiller Heflin was asked about the injuries that he was dealing with.  His admirable response was that at this stage of tournament everyone was dealing with injuries so there was no need to talk about them.  Yanni took that advice wrestling 3 matches with a torn ACL when he won the 2018 title. 

Spencer wrestled 5??? hell he wrestled for 2 years on one before he told anybody. yianni also told everybody he tore his acl after the tournament lmao. not your best work jammen

43 minutes ago, headshuck said:

You have to admit there was something odd about Lee saying that excuses are for wussies in the same breath as saying that his performance was affected by having a knee injury.

it's called post-match adrenaline. terry told him to tell everybody as he was walking over to the interview. he wasn't planning to. he's spoken about this. 

I think Suriano is a great wrestler, but he's not the same wrestler at 125 as he was at 133.  I thought 133 was perfect for him and he looked chiseled.  He won a tough national bracket at 133 that year.  NATO handled Suriano pretty easily at the recent World Trials at 125 and that shocked me, but it makes sense.  If Nick does come back to College, I think Nick can win 133 again, but cutting to 125 and making the weight three straight days won't be good for him.  

Time will tell.  It's good to be talking about wrestling again.  

On 10/7/2021 at 5:43 PM, uncle bernard said:

Spencer wrestled 5??? hell he wrestled for 2 years on one before he told anybody. yianni also told everybody he tore his acl after the tournament lmao. not your best work jammen

Great point.  Lee tore an ACL in the finals against Mueller and said nothing and then wrestled the next year with it never saying a word.  He didn't wrestle that summer and despite all of the questions he never shared the fact he was hurt.  It was clear that he was told to go ahead and tell folks at least that's what the interviews pointed out.  You can see on the tape that Tom leaned over to him and said something right before the interview and Lee said later that Tom told him, go ahead and tell them what you've been dealing with.  

I think Suriano is a great wrestler, but he's not the same wrestler at 125 as he was at 133.  I thought 133 was perfect for him and he looked chiseled.  He won a tough national bracket at 133 that year.  NATO handled Suriano pretty easily at the recent World Trials at 125 and that shocked me, but it makes sense.  If Nick does come back to College, I think Nick can win 133 again, but cutting to 125 and making the weight three straight days won't be good for him.  
Time will tell.  It's good to be talking about wrestling again.  

Suriano and Nato were at 61 kg or 134 lbs at trials, but I agree that he is better suited to 133 than 125.

On 10/11/2021 at 10:43 AM, Yellow_Medal said:

Suriano and Nato were at 61 kg or 134 lbs at trials, but I agree that he is better suited to 133 than 125.

Agree with you and should be more specific.  His work to shrink his body to wrestle at 125 I believe impacted him at the World Trials.  He looked no where near as imposing.  He needs to hit the weights again and be that guy that ran through a very tough 133lb bracket.  He controlled the entire tournament unless his close finals with Fix.