http://www.mmaconver... ... MMAConvert)

http://keepwrestlingintheolympics.com/

#2 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Absolutely ridiculous. Who is Jones even speaking about? Can't be everybody as he's quoted as nearly everybody does exactly the opposite of what he said. He is considered the most lethal in the business with his elbows once on top and he is widely regarded as top notch with his take downs and take down defense. He's never been taken down and he has taken down virtually everyone he's ever faced, including with spectacular throws, suplexs, foot sweeps, and traditional singles and doubles. Is this story being manufactured in order to gain sympathy for the guy when he clearly needs none with regards to his wrestling or top position? This is like if Hendo were to be quoted as saying no one respects his punching power.

#3 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

Read this

http://www.bloodyelb... ... ympic-gold

#4 superfluidity

superfluidity

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

http://www.bloodyelb... ... man-Askren

or this

#5 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

Jon Jones trains with Izzy Martinez at Izzy Style Wrestling. . Izzy is also involved in training some of the fighters in the UFC like Rustam Khabilov, Clay Guida and many others.

#6 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

I'm just glad Jones has a wrestling background so I don't have to hear about a bunch of otherwise reasonable wrestling fans cheering for a loser like Sonnen .
http://deadspin.com/...is-wa-474796344

#7 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

What is wrong with Sonnen? Did he have a father issue. Wow, just saw an interview pre fight. He is really full of himself! Sorry never real watched him before this-guess he is like this always? I am gonna root for Jones I guess now after watching that. He has got to be acting I hope. He said when he wins he will fight anyone, including Cormier and destroy them all.

#8 paver1surf1

paver1surf1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

It’s called promotion. He is not trying to sell love, it’s a fight and his bombastic rhetoric pulls in viewers and puts butts in the seats.

#9 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

If you saw tonight's fights, you saw Jon Jones take Chael down almost at will. Jones can't quite possibly be that naive as to think no one ever respects his wrestling. Weird thing to be complianing about.

#10 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

I saw Sonnen vs Silva and Sonnen vs Jones. It is an insult to have Jones not #1 in the p4p rankings. Jones is heads and shoulders the best fighter in the world. Sonnen easily could have beat Silva especially in there 1st fight. Jones simply manhandled him and destroyed him in all aspects of MMA. There is no comparison between Jones and Silva. Silva knows this and would never fight Jones I don't think. Dana white keeps mentioning a superfight betwee GSP/Silva or Silva/Jones. It would be no superfight between Silva/Jones. Silva needs to fight Weidman and GSP then retire. Now I want to see Cormier vs Jones. Jones may win but he will not push Cormier around.

#11 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

I saw Sonnen vs Silva and Sonnen vs Jones. It is an insult to have Jones not #1 in the p4p rankings. Jones is heads and shoulders the best fighter in the world. Sonnen easily could have beat Silva especially in there 1st fight. Jones simply manhandled him and destroyed him in all aspects of MMA. There is no comparison between Jones and Silva. Silva knows this and would never fight Jones I don't think. Dana white keeps mentioning a superfight betwee GSP/Silva or Silva/Jones. It would be no superfight between Silva/Jones. Silva needs to fight Weidman and GSP then retire. Now I want to see Cormier vs Jones. Jones may win but he will not push Cormier around.

Did you see Vitor vs Anderson and Vitor vs Jones? Vitor nearly broke Jones arm and took his title, narrowly failing to clamp the arm bar in and ending things quickly and swiftly. Anderson on the other hand made short work of Belfort, putting him to sleep in the first round. or perhaps you saw Anderson vs Bonner recently. Although Bonner went 3 grueling rounds with Jones, Silva ended his night quickly in the first round.

Moral? A beats B, B beats C, =/= to A beats C in MMA. MMA math does not work, we should have learned this long ago.

Ask yourself this, since you're making a case for Jones #1 pound for pound, when is the last time he defeated a fighter not coming up from 185, just specifically to fight Jones? Hint: it was over a year ago. Jones may very well be the best p4p fighter in the world, but he certainly hasn't earned the distinction by beating up blown up middle weights, especially ones who are coming off knock out defeats a weight class down.

#12 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

Anyone can get submitted. Subs are the great equalizer and makes things exciting. This is why people are avoiding the ground and pound, even the wrestlers. Like Cormier not taking down Mir even 1 time. Jones simply beat up sonnen bad. Silva did not even come close to beating up sonnen. I just can not see anyone beating up Jones-maybe a sub but anyone can get subbed. Still counts yes but we are seeing less subs because no one wants to lose like that so they stay off the ground unless that is their only hope to win. the reason Jones has had two week opponents this year is because the year before he beat #1-6 in the Lt Heavy ranks. Now other than Gustafasson he has beat all the top guys unless yu put Cormier in the mix. I wish Jones would go to heavyweight and fight Comier and Cain.

#13 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Did you see Anderson Silva (11-1-0) vs Daiju Takase (catch wrestling)?
Takase won by submission in ruond 1!

Did you see Anderson Silva (14-2-0) vs Ryo Chonan? Silva was submitted!

Jon Jones is the best, he is the best wrestler and fighter in MMA.

#14 scribe

scribe

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,820 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

If you saw tonight's fights, you saw Jon Jones take Chael down almost at will. Jones can't quite possibly be that naive as to think no one ever respects his wrestling. Weird thing to be complianing about.

I see it as Jones directing some much needed attention toward wrestling to the mainstream media crowd.

"This space for rent"

#15 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Jon Jones is the best period. Silva is top 5 maybe. He is old but still great yes but Jones is on another level. If he gets careless yes he could get submitted-anyone can get submitted if their not careful but 9 out of 10 he beats everyone up, simple as that and he is only 25! Cormier vs Jones this fall! JOnes and Cormier will probably fight one more time a piece.

Will probably go Gustafasson/JOnes winner vs Cormier/Machida winner. Unless Jones bumps up. Then it is Cormier vs Jones and then Jones vs Cain.

#16 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Jones submitted two bjj black belt with a lot of experience in submission.

#17 Memory

Memory
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

Jones submitted two bjj black belt with a lot of experience in submission.

after elbowing them in the head. The lack of upkicks and soccerkicks really determines alot about who is going to win. ufc is far from a real fight. I think pride rules by an large forced the best out of different styles.

#18 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

The UFC's 1-12 editions were without rules and Wrestlers dominate 6 editions (bjj 3 editions...). In Pride FC 3 of 4 belts were won by fighters with wrestling background.

#19 Matburn155

Matburn155

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:54 AM

He has great wrestling, and a style of wrestling that caters well to MMA....very explosive with his shots and good Greco skills and balance. He also has some nasty front choke that are augmented by his height in which he used to choke Machida out with.

#20 rstrong

rstrong

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

Maybe a reference toward Ben Askren?

Baskren is outspoken as being the best wrestlerin MMA - and most would agree.

Maybe Jones is speaking about his wrestling level being up to Ben's? That would be an interesting storyline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users