Sign in to follow this  
Back.Points

Iowa to add Women’s program

They wrestle freestyle.

This is gigantic.  Wow.  Kudos to Iowa.  

Funny, seems like people recently were giving Iowa a load of grief regarding women’s wrestling.  This has to shut up those folks.

Huge credit to Iowa for getting out there first amongst the big time wrestling schools.

https://www.thegazette.com/higher-education/university-of-iowa-has-reached-agreement-on-settlement-terms-in-female-athletes-title-ix-suit/

The University of Iowa has reached a settlement with the female athletes who sued alleging Title IX violations, and that agreement is among the reasons UI Athletics on Thursday announced it’s adding a women’s wrestling team.

“As part of the Title IX lawsuit settlement, we agreed to add a women's sport,” UI Athletic Director Gary Barta told reporters Thursday during a news conference. “And our decision was to add the sport of women's wrestling at the University of Iowa.”

1 hour ago, nom said:

They wrestle freestyle.

This is gigantic.  Wow.  Kudos to Iowa.  

Funny, seems like people recently were giving Iowa a load of grief regarding women’s wrestling.  This has to shut up those folks.

Huge credit to Iowa for getting out there first amongst the big time wrestling schools.

Women always wrestle freestyle even in college, right?  Why is that? 

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Women always wrestle freestyle even in college, right?  Why is that? 

Wow I had no idea.  Very interesting that we have men and women wrestling different styles.  Im not sure its helpful from the standpoint of drawing in new fans who may be confused 

38 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Didn’t the program just end their women's RTC program a couple years back?  And now the school add a women's program.  Seems like some of the program cogs and athletic admin cogs could have made a better connection.  

They recently added 3 women to the HWC too

This is such great news-truly monumental and an example of leadership from the Iowa program.  The coaching search, both for HC and assistants, should be very exciting.  I imagine the likes of Maroulis, TMS, and Gray will be interested.  

The ball is now in the court of PSU, OSU, tOSU, and Cornell. Which will be second major program to establish women's wrestling and start a rivalry with the Iowa program?

Edited by Billyhoyle

40 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Way to go Iowa, so great for the sport when you are forced to add women’s wrestling through a Title IX lawsuit!

Right? Finally this law is creating wrestling programs. Hopefully there are some directed at the other major wrestling powerhouses and they act likewise.  

57 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Didn’t the program just end their women's RTC program a couple years back?  And now the school add a women's program.  Seems like some of the program cogs and athletic admin cogs could have made a better connection.  

They didn't end their "women's RTC program." There were some off the mat/lifestyle things going on and Tom gave a couple of them an ultimatum. Kayla Miracle is on record stating that she was not cut and was welcome to stay with the club, but was choosing to follow Perry because he was her main coach.

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Wow I had no idea.  Very interesting that we have men and women wrestling different styles.  Im not sure its helpful from the standpoint of drawing in new fans who may be confused 

Freestyle is confusing to me; I can't imagine how confusing it would be to a woman. [I kid, I kid]

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

This is such great news-truly monumental and an example of leadership from the Iowa program.  The coaching search, both for HC and assistants, should be very exciting.  I imagine the likes of Maroulis, TMS, and Gray will be interested.  

Troy Steiner.

Iowa alum

Needs a job.

Head coaching experience

Knows the guy in charge of the women's national program

The others have the resumes to be great assistants and then branch off after a few years if head jobs open up.  Being an NCAA head coach is about a lot more  than having accolades.

Edited by AHamilton

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

Troy Steiner.

Iowa alum

Needs a job.

Head coaching experience

Knows the guy in charge of the women's national program

The others have the resumes to be great assistants and then branch off after a few years if head jobs open up.  Being an NCAA head coach is about a lot more  than having accolades.

0 percent chance it's Troy Steiner after what happened at FSU. See the following:https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/article251994658.html

Maybe Terry Steiner? How about Mark Perry? Metcalf? The reason I listed those women is because the program isn't going to start for a couple years, and even then this is going to be a long term process. By the time there are more major programs, they will have had a significant amount of experience, and all have the "star power" that Brands and Cael have both used to their success.  

6 hours ago, IronChef said:

Seems weird since they also reinstated the only women’s team that was initially cut (swimming & diving).  Iowa must have had FloKaren as their lawyer or something.