Sign in to follow this  
Back.Points

Iowa to add Women’s program

10 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

0 percent chance it's Troy Steiner after what happened at FSU. See the following:https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/article251994658.html

Maybe Terry Steiner? How about Mark Perry? Metcalf? The reason I listed those women is because the program isn't going to start for a couple years, and even then this is going to be a long term process. By the time there are more major programs, they will have had a significant amount of experience, and all have the "star power" that Brands and Cael have both used to their success.  

Hahahahaha! You couldn't be more wrong.

Edited by AHamilton

32 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Hahahahaha! You couldn't be more wrong.

About what?  The first women's wrestling HC at Iowa won't be somebody with multiple title IX violations against him. You can't get employed at a university as a wrestling coach with that.

For the names I threw out there as possibilities, I have no idea, so you're probably right.  I'm just throwing out guesses. 

Something that makes a lot of sense: Terry Steiner as HC to help get the program off the ground with a bigger name like TMS/Gray/Maroulis as the head assistant to take over in ~5-10 years.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Looks like a title IX lawsuit helped make this happen (big time).  How many other important wrestling colleges that have had title IX challenges have decided to rectify by adding women’s wrestling?

I’m pretty happy with the decision by Iowa to do so.  

Great for the sport and kudos to Iowa for stepping up and making this happen.  A dedicated area for women's locker-rooms, training rooms etc., is being built in a new facility that is preparing to break ground.  Amazing.  Iowa will become the center for women's wrestling.  I believe this will help Iowa wrestling in general as well.  Good move!  

4 hours ago, nom said:

Looks like a title IX lawsuit helped make this happen (big time).  How many other important wrestling colleges that have had title IX challenges have decided to rectify by adding women’s wrestling?

I’m pretty happy with the decision by Iowa to do so.  

None

1 hour ago, MPC said:

Gotta love the celebrations mixed with misogynistic jokes.....do better guys. And I hope they hire Clarissa Chun or another female coach.  

I bet you are fun to hang out with at a party...or ever...

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

I bet you are fun to hang out with at a party...or ever...

Yeah---its always fun to sit around and make fun of women, or just people different than you. Thanks for proving my point. 

40 minutes ago, Katie said:

I believe there are some women’s college wrestling teams in Canada. It would be interesting to see a team like Iowa enter a Canadian tournament (assuming such tournaments exist).

Happens all the time. Women's college national tournaments have included both US and Canadian colleges/universities for years.