Husker_Du

Who's Better: David Taylor or Kyle Dake

David Taylor is a different wrestler than he was in college. He went from finesse/technique/leverage, to now being stronger/as strong as  almost everyone he wrestles (except maybe Yaz). Some athletes peak at 22-24.  For Taylor it is clearly 27-32.  You see it in baseball a lot where "age 27" breakout is a thing.  It's more rare in wrestling. Any other notable examples? I guess you could say Dake, but I think his progress is more just staying really elite while JB has regressed from one of the greatest ever to elite, but not as good as Dake.  

7 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

David Taylor is a different wrestler than he was in college. He went from finesse/technique/leverage, to now being stronger/as strong as  almost everyone he wrestles (except maybe Yaz). Some athletes peak at 22-24.  For Taylor it is clearly 27-32.  You see it in baseball a lot where "age 27" breakout is a thing.  It's more rare in wrestling. Any other notable examples? I guess you could say Dake, but I think his progress is more just staying really elite while JB has regressed from one of the greatest ever to elite, but not as good as Dake.  

I think in both their cases, they've kept improving and have taken care of their bodies like pro athletes. I do think in Taylor's case it took a couple years to fully acclimate to the bigger weight, which clearly fits his frame so much better than 74 did.

Also, does Yaz appear much above average strength-wise at 86? He's very physical and punishing with his style, and he maintains fantastic dominant positioning; but I'm not sure how his raw strength is in a pound-for-pound wrestling sense. Do others think he looks physically imposing for an 86? I think he's just good and knows how to move people

Edited by maligned

1 hour ago, maligned said:

I think in both their cases, they've kept improving and have taken care of their bodies like pro athletes. I do think in Taylor's case it took a couple years to fully acclimate to the bigger weight, which clearly fits his frame so much better than 74 did.

Dake has of course improved some over the past cycle (albeit with the letdown at the Olympics), but I think he would have been a world medal contender like he is now in the years he lost to JB.  Moving up a weight for DT has been a transformation-he physically looks like a different athlete. Because of his frame, I don't think Dake would be Yaz or Taylor at 86 kg.  Dake is still a very good wrestler, he just has never reached the heights of JB and Taylor in terms of being one of the top P4P in the world. 

Also, does Yaz appear much above average strength-wise at 86? He's very physical and punishing with his style, and he maintains fantastic dominant positioning; but I'm not sure how his raw strength is in a pound-for-pound wrestling sense. Do others think he looks physically imposing for an 86? I think he's just good and knows how to move people

I think so with strength, yeah. Most of his points against DT are pushouts.   I think that's partly why he wears down, since he's so reliant on being overpowering. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Head to head Dake has always beaten Taylor.  But wit Taylor winning Olympic gold I'd say he has the better overall career thusfar.  If Dake also wins Olympic gold eventually and Taylor doesn't win any more medals I give it to Dake.

Wow, what an obvious and boring take on the question.

So if Dake got to 86kg shape, would he beat Taylor?  Perhaps that is the question.  Taylor has found his home.  Cox who is really good never won at 86 in the WC or Olys.  Taylor has done so at both.  But Taylor lost to Cox some time ago at the same weight.  So peaking is what is important.  It appears Taylor is still peaking, I don't see him stopping soon.  Hopefully Dake can do so at the new weight he is at.  But he probably has to cut a lot to make that weight which might drain him a little.  Mostly just rambling here.  But here is the really the issue:

We should be happy for and proud of JB, KD, DT, JC, and KS for being the champions they are.  They are at different weights but are all champions.  Nobody can take that away from them. 

mspart

17 hours ago, NJDan said:

Lost to Cox in 2017. Wow. Long win streak.

Thanks.  How many wins since without a loss besides the default?  Anyone else in the world close to this?  What is Sadulaev at?

44 minutes ago, mspart said:

So if Dake got to 86kg shape, would he beat Taylor?  Perhaps that is the question.  Taylor has found his home.  Cox who is really good never won at 86 in the WC or Olys.  Taylor has done so at both.  But Taylor lost to Cox some time ago at the same weight.  So peaking is what is important.  It appears Taylor is still peaking, I don't see him stopping soon.  Hopefully Dake can do so at the new weight he is at.  But he probably has to cut a lot to make that weight which might drain him a little.  Mostly just rambling here.  But here is the really the issue:

We should be happy for and proud of JB, KD, DT, JC, and KS for being the champions they are.  They are at different weights but are all champions.  Nobody can take that away from them. 

mspart

You forgot GS.  What a murderers row!

It’s simple. With all the head to head wins, you must consider Dake the better wrestler. However, Taylor has had the better career thus far because of his Olympic gold.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

Mokoma,

I did not.  If he was wrestling in the 2021 WC's he would have been in my list.  It is a murderer's row for sure and would be more so with Gable.  No takeaways from Gwiz but Gable proved himself on the mat for everyone to see.  I really wish he would wrestle this tourney but it is too late for that now.  WC does not ring like Oly Champ in WWE. 

mspart