gowrestle

Sammie Henson

19 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

I believe he doesn’t have a degree and it seems most colleges value that in hiring head coaches, part of why he didn’t get Oklahoma I was told.

I don’t know Hensons academic capabilities, but with the online offerings it’s easier than ever these days to get a bachelors degree from an accredited university.  It would seem with a few years of time as he could get one if he was interested in going that route.  Maybe he’s fine sticking with the academy coaching gig if it pays the bills.  

Edited by MadMardigain

8 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

I don’t know Hensons academic capabilities, but with the online offerings it’s easier than ever these days to get a bachelors degree from an accredited university.  It would seem with a few years of time as he could get one if he was interested in going that route.  Maybe he’s fine perusing the the academy coaching gig if it pays the bills.  

I wonder if online degrees are respected by employers in general and colleges in particular.

Honestly he might make just as much money doing what he does now. Let’s say the money is comparable. For instance Jared Lawrence owns Pinnacle in Minnesota. Outside of the occasional regional and national tourney he is home every night with his family. College coaches have to travel for recruiting and team travels. I would probably pick being my own boss over working for someone else controlling my every move.

44 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Is that really true? I would think that anyone who cares could tell the difference.

A degree from Clemson is a degree from Clemson.  A degree from Penn State is a degree from Penn State. Zain is getting an online MBA from PSU.  No one will know the difference.

Now if you are getting a degree from an online only school, then you might have more issues.  

21 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

I don’t know Hensons academic capabilities, but with the online offerings it’s easier than ever these days to get a bachelors degree from an accredited university.  It would seem with a few years of time as he could get one if he was interested in going that route.  Maybe he’s fine sticking with the academy coaching gig if it pays the bills.  

I’ve  never seen the transcripts or cap and gown, but what is the reason to think the guy didn’t earn a degree? You think Army, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Penn State, Northern Iowa, Cal Poly, Missouri, UTC, West Virginia all employed the guy without being a graduate? My instincts say no…

21 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

I’ve  never seen the transcripts or cap and gown, but what is the reason to think the guy didn’t earn a degree? You think Army, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Penn State, Northern Iowa, Cal Poly, Missouri, UTC, West Virginia all employed the guy without being a graduate? My instincts say no…

You would have to asked that LunaticFringe.  He was the one making this claim.  I was just pointing out the easy accessibility to a degree program that is now exists online if as he says that is the obstacle.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Culturally its funny how it works in different countries. The global head of business intelligence at one of the top investment management firms in the world has only ever finished high school and he's a good friend of mine.  If you can climb your way upward without at degree - at a certain point - the main thing that matters is what you have proven you have been able to do with your past experience.  

7 hours ago, AHamilton said:

LOL  

No one knows. It is the same degree.  

Not necessarily. If the degree is an important component in hiring, an employer will research the educational experience. It’s a big deal when applying for a college position. Have yet to see online programs for lawyers, and physicians.  Lots of online programs for tooty fruity stuff. Don’t think you can get an MBA from Harvard Business School via online. 

When I hire people, I know the difference. 

28 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

Not necessarily. If the degree is an important component in hiring, an employer will research the educational experience. It’s a big deal when applying for a college position. Have yet to see online programs for lawyers, and physicians.  Lots of online programs for tooty fruity stuff. Don’t think you can get an MBA from Harvard Business School via online. 

When I hire people, I know the difference. 

You can get one from Harvard extension school. It's the same thing. I'm contemplating doing mine online, nobody would know if it was or wasn't an online program. The last 2 classes I took for my undergrad were both online, among many others along the way. 

3 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

You can get one from Harvard extension school. It's the same thing. I'm contemplating doing mine online, nobody would know if it was or wasn't an online program. The last 2 classes I took for my undergrad were both online, among many others along the way. 

You are correct.

For instance, my brother has a masters from MIT.  Freaking MIT.  Most of it was done online.  A lot of it was research based.  Did his research hundreds of miles from MIT.  Did online classes for most of the year.  Then one week a year travelled to MIT for a week.  During this week he received something like 40+ hours of in-person learning.  Most of the curriculum was online however.

Still has an MIT degree.  And I think it was a pretty rigorous program of studies, designed for someone who can't just drop everything and move to Cambridge, Massachusetts for two years.  Still had to be very smart to get in.  Super selective and difficult program.

Edited by AHamilton