gowrestle

Sammie Henson

50 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

You are correct.

For instance, my brother has a masters from MIT.  Freaking MIT.  Most of it was done online.  A lot of it was research based.  Did his research hundreds of miles from MIT.  Did online classes for most of the year.  Then one week a year travelled to MIT for a week.  During this week he received something like 40+ hours of in-person learning.  Most of the curriculum was online however.

Still has an MIT degree.  And I think it was a pretty rigorous program of studies, designed for someone who can't just drop everything and move to Cambridge, Massachusetts for two years.  Still had to be very smart to get in.  Super selective and difficult program.

I was not aware of some of this. Obviously some online programs are better than others. Lots of teachers do online advanced degrees just to move up on the pay scale. Those programs are just time for the student and big money makers for the institutions. I don’t put a high value on those diplomas. 

There is a place for online education but nothing will replace the interaction between teacher and pupil. 

Do you think a head wrestling coach can instruct his/team online?

11 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

I’ve  never seen the transcripts or cap and gown, but what is the reason to think the guy didn’t earn a degree? You think Army, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Penn State, Northern Iowa, Cal Poly, Missouri, UTC, West Virginia all employed the guy without being a graduate? My instincts say no…

To me it's a big red flag when the guy has been to so many different schools.....9 different schools....I'll just stop right there, but I have made observations and had interaction with the guy.

Edited by fadzaev2

1 minute ago, Lunaticfringe said:

He is clearly a good technician and tactical coach but 9 stops with many only a year or two is a red flag that he is impossible to work with.

I can say that this is almost certainly the case. He was a clinician at a camp I went to in high school and screamed at dads who he thought were trying to tape him demonstrate technique (they weren't). The technique and coaching were great, but he was not a very nice man lol. "No nonsense" is the nice way to put it.

There were rumors to a fight at nationals with Jack Spates which led to him not getting the job.

is he highly skilled, no question about it. Probably a 9+/10

Does he go out of his way to alienate people? That’s a 10/10

He is a good short term coach

Not the current discussion on this thread, but to go back to the main page. I believe Kevin Jackson's degree that was listed when he was coach at ISU was from a school mostly known for online offerings.

I don't disagree with the comments about online classes removing some of the more beneficial interactions in the classroom. They are convenient though.

On 9/26/2021 at 8:58 PM, Plasmodium said:

Sammie Henson has a bachelor's degree from Missouri, which he earned in 1995.

Yep.  From West Virginia's site:

Henson returned to Missouri in 1995 to earn a degree in parks, recreation and tourism management.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:28 AM, gowrestle said:

I was not aware of some of this. Obviously some online programs are better than others. Lots of teachers do online advanced degrees just to move up on the pay scale. Those programs are just time for the student and big money makers for the institutions. I don’t put a high value on those diplomas. 

There is a place for online education but nothing will replace the interaction between teacher and pupil. 

Do you think a head wrestling coach can instruct his/team online?

Also impossible for professors to bang their students in an online class.

22 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

He is clearly a good technician and tactical coach but 9 stops with many only a year or two is a red flag that he is impossible to work with.

To be fair, most of those stops occurred while Sammie was a competitor.  He competed internationally up until the age of 36.  In those days, it was not uncommon for competitors to go from program to program seeking out competition for themselves. 

He is doing well in his home state, coaching high school and youth wrestlers.  

4 hours ago, cjc007 said:

So are most in person degrees. imo.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Definitely agree. When you look at many colleges that are selling dreams with tuition at 60+ grand a year, you have to ask who is financially benefiting?

On 9/29/2021 at 7:38 AM, Scrap Iron said:

Literally a stop at UNI.  They hired him, got him a house, he left the keys on the table and went to Nebraska. Never coached a day there.  

Can you go into more detail on this?  Why on earth would he do that?

1 hour ago, olddirty said:

Can you go into more detail on this?  Why on earth would he do that?

Probably because he lacks loyalty to the highest degree, he has had 9 stops. Only a couple years at each. Most wrestlers at the very top of the mountain have the same quality, narcissistic 

16 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Probably because he lacks loyalty to the highest degree, he has had 9 stops. Only a couple years at each. Most wrestlers at the very top of the mountain have the same quality, narcissistic 

A lot of successful wrestlers comport themselves quite well.  Narcissistic is way overused, and misunderstood, these days.

However, there is no question Henson’s track record allows one to question not only his loyalty but whether he has the capacity to work well with others.

On 9/30/2021 at 11:06 AM, Lunaticfringe said:

He has had 9 stops. Only a couple years at each.

That is an assistant coach in basically any competitive sport. That is what they do. There's a reason. He might be a bad guy, idk anything else about him, but THAT doesn't make him a bad guy.

On 10/6/2021 at 9:45 AM, SignificantACCBias said:

That is an assistant coach in basically any competitive sport. That is what they do. There's a reason. He might be a bad guy, idk anything else about him, but THAT doesn't make him a bad guy.

Doesn't mean he is an axe murderer, but 9 stops is way more than normal.

On 9/26/2021 at 11:10 PM, flyingcement said:

Culturally its funny how it works in different countries. The global head of business intelligence at one of the top investment management firms in the world has only ever finished high school and he's a good friend of mine.  If you can climb your way upward without at degree - at a certain point - the main thing that matters is what you have proven you have been able to do with your past experience.  

That’s why I tell my students the truth that their GPA actually matters because it shows colleges and employers that they can handle their business/work without being babysat. 
Also that they should go for the many very very nice internships and extra programs available at our school because employers will look at that far more than anything else 

What are Sammies relationships like with the former head coaches he worked for such as Manning, Jack Spates, Brian Smith, Brad Penrith, etc? He just comes off like a “Everyone is an *******, except me of course” kind of guy

image.png