Sign in to follow this  
toprankwrestling

Whats your BEST Inspirational/Motivating Quote?

Here's a couple from Herb Brooks that I like:

"You don't have the talent to win on talent alone"

"You're getting worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month"

He also had possibly one of the greatest pre event motivational statements of all time in what he told his team right before their last game of the 80 Olympics. Keep in mind, they had already pulled off the major upset over the Soviet Union, yet if they lost their last game, it was possible they would go from the greatest upset is sports and a gold medal to not even medaling.

"If you lose this game, you'll take it to your F-ing grave" -turns around and starts to walk out, stops, turns and says - "to your F-ing grave"

Check out this rendention of a Herb Jones' speech, Flying Tiger (gets better towards the end):

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds -- Einstein.

"I fear the day that the modern technology will surpass human interaction. We shall then....have a generation of idiots". Einstein

Port Robertson told me the following story.

He had analyzed the dual meet at Iowa State. He said whoever won the 157-pound match would win the dual meet. This was in the 1950s when flying was still done on propeller planes that flew low enough you could see the ground clearly.

Port said made sure to sit next to his 157 pounder. He said it would really be bad to be walking mile after mile by yourself through the cold and snow.

As the 157 pounder was getting ready to walk onto the the mat. Port asked him if he rembered about what he'd said on the plane. The kid said yes. Port said if you don't win you are walking home. Port said the kid didn't know whether he'd actually be made to walk home from Ames, but he didn't want to find out. The kid won the match, and OU won the dual meet.

One I like is an excerpt from a speech delivered by Teddy Roosevelt at the Sorbonne in 1910:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

There are none better, imo. Isn't it funny how many of us posters could take some points from this quote?

"Successful people make a habit of doing uncomfortable things." Stephen Covey

variation:

"Winners are those people who make a habit of doing the things losers are uncomfortable doing." Ed Foreman

In the end, success is a choice...

The only place "Success" comes before "Work" is in the dictionary

------------

I also remember something J Robinson told me years ago at his camp:

"Every morning in Africa a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It know it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will get eaten. It doesnt matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle: When the sun comes up you better be running."