Jump to content
NJDan

Can someone explain why medals at Olympic weights are superior?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, denger said:

I think the number of competitors at Olympic weights compared to non-Olympic weights is the best argument for why Olympic weights are considered "superior". This is especially true at the WC preceding the Olympics. 

In 2019 MFS:

57 had 35 competitors

61 had 30

65 had 44

70 had 30

74 had 39

79 had 23

84 had 43

92 had 18

97 had 26

125 had 28

Olympic weights averaged 35.5 competitors

Non-Olympic weights averaged 25.25

84 wasn't a weight class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While there are fewer weight classes and competitors at them, the qualification procedure for them is much more rigid and difficult to succeed in.

That makes it more prestigious.  Add in that, particularly here in the US, there is much more publicity surrounding the Olympics.  I say typically for here due to Television viewership reasons.  I imagine it gets 'more' wrestling coverage in other nations as well, although I am ignorant as to their television deals/setups.

The case can be made that WC are more difficult to win, even with more weight classes, since there are more matches.  That means that there are more chances to get caught or to have an 'off' day against someone having an 'on' day.

To me, and I am the minority for sure, a title is a title and a medal is a medal.  How many do you or I have?  I have none.  I imagine everyone who posts on this will also have no senior world level medals, whether the Oly-games or otherwise. 

When comparing wrestlers like Dake, Taylor, and Cox you can't pick a better career.  They are comparable.  You can argue DT is at an Oly weight all you want.  You can also argue that he wouldn't have won at 79 or 92 had he wrestled there because he couldn't beat Dake or Cox.  You could also say that had either went 86 DT wouldn't have made the team at 86 that year.  He has a losing record against both of them.  A lot of 'what if' BS that doesn't matter to me. 

We are lucky we have all three and that they have been able to spread out and win in weight classes they didn't initially intend to go when they started their senior level careers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

While there are fewer weight classes and competitors at them, the qualification procedure for them is much more rigid and difficult to succeed in.

That makes it more prestigious.  Add in that, particularly here in the US, there is much more publicity surrounding the Olympics.  I say typically for here due to Television viewership reasons.  I imagine it gets 'more' wrestling coverage in other nations as well, although I am ignorant as to their television deals/setups.

The case can be made that WC are more difficult to win, even with more weight classes, since there are more matches.  That means that there are more chances to get caught or to have an 'off' day against someone having an 'on' day.

To me, and I am the minority for sure, a title is a title and a medal is a medal.  How many do you or I have?  I have none.  I imagine everyone who posts on this will also have no senior world level medals, whether the Oly-games or otherwise. 

When comparing wrestlers like Dake, Taylor, and Cox you can't pick a better career.  They are comparable.  You can argue DT is at an Oly weight all you want.  You can also argue that he wouldn't have won at 79 or 92 had he wrestled there because he couldn't beat Dake or Cox.  You could also say that had either went 86 DT wouldn't have made the team at 86 that year.  He has a losing record against both of them.  A lot of 'what if' BS that doesn't matter to me. 

We are lucky we have all three and that they have been able to spread out and win in weight classes they didn't initially intend to go when they started their senior level careers.

I am prepared to die on that hill!!  More importantly, they haven't had comparable careers because Taylor did win Olympic gold 

Edited by Plasmodium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

I am prepared to die on that hill!!  More importantly, they haven't had comparable careers because Taylor did win Olympic gold 

Fine.  Had KD gone 86 instead of 74 DT wouldn't have won Oly gold.

KD is 2-0 at 86 against DT ergo he would have won the spot.

See?  I can be irrational too.

Edit: Keep in mind KD did soundly beat JB just a few months after DT squeaked on by him on criteria. 

Edited by nhs67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Fine.  Had KD gone 86 instead of 74 DT wouldn't have won Oly gold.

KD is 2-0 at 86 against DT ergo he would have won the spot.

See?  I can be irrational too.

Edit: Keep in mind KD did soundly beat JB just a few months after DT squeaked on by him on criteria. 

It is not irrational to say winning the Olympics is a bigger achievement than winning worlds.  Quite the contrary.

If you want to argue that Dake is a better wrestler, there are multiple threads created for that purpose.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

It is not irrational to say winning the Olympics is a bigger achievement than winning worlds.  Quite the contrary.

If you want to argue that Dake is a better wrestler, there are multiple threads created for that purpose.  

I already said I was being a ponce, more or less.  We can disagree.  I have no qualms with that.

Be well.  Be healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I noted on another thread, Taylor has won more competitions in the same time frame as Dake, 14 to 9.  Dake has beaten Taylor each time they went head to head.  Who has had the better career?  By medals Taylor.  Who is better?  Probably Dake, assuming he would beat Taylor head to head today. 

The Oly's are the pinnacle.  Terry Brands forever will be in the shadow of Tom because Tom won Gold at an Olympics and Terry only got Bronze.  Don't believe me, ask him.

Oly's are the pinnacle.  They only have 6 weight classes.  All wrestlers try to make the Olympics.  Tougher to get there.  Myles Amine was smart and went to San Marino for his chance at Olympic glory and he won Bronze.  Couldn't have done that had he wrestled for the USA.  It is tough to be on an Olympic team and it is tough to qualify for the weight for the Olympics. 

There is no wrestler in the world that would say I'd rather be a World Champion over being Olympic Champion.  There is a prestige and honor in being an Olympic Gold medallist.  Saitiev was denied being able to get 4 Olympic Golds because of Slay.  Do you think it doesn't bother him at all?  I doubt it.  He was the greatest and even he got derailed by an unknown.  JB suffered in 2016 and should have been Olympic Champion based on performance.  And he didn't even make the team this year.  Why?  Because competition from another weight came down and dethroned him.  That doesn't happen with 10 weight classes, all of equal stature.

mspart

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mspart said:

As I noted on another thread, Taylor has won more competitions in the same time frame as Dake, 14 to 9.  Dake has beaten Taylor each time they went head to head.  Who has had the better career?  By medals Taylor.  Who is better?  Probably Dake, assuming he would beat Taylor head to head today. 

The Oly's are the pinnacle.  Terry Brands forever will be in the shadow of Tom because Tom won Gold at an Olympics and Terry only got Bronze.  Don't believe me, ask him.

Oly's are the pinnacle.  They only have 6 weight classes.  All wrestlers try to make the Olympics.  Tougher to get there.  Myles Amine was smart and went to San Marino for his chance at Olympic glory and he won Bronze.  Couldn't have done that had he wrestled for the USA.  It is tough to be on an Olympic team and it is tough to qualify for the weight for the Olympics. 

There is no wrestler in the world that would say I'd rather be a World Champion over being Olympic Champion.  There is a prestige and honor in being an Olympic Gold medallist.  Saitiev was denied being able to get 4 Olympic Golds because of Slay.  Do you think it doesn't bother him at all?  I doubt it.  He was the greatest and even he got derailed by an unknown.  JB suffered in 2016 and should have been Olympic Champion based on performance.  And he didn't even make the team this year.  Why?  Because competition from another weight came down and dethroned him.  That doesn't happen with 10 weight classes, all of equal stature.

mspart

 

Great post.  Agree with you 100%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...