Swayz

Most Improved D1 team will be? Why?

For 2022 season, I think Lock Haven may open some eyes.  2x Njcaa champ and a champ/2nd will add some older guys into the room to push the younger talent. 

I'm thinking the work Pendelton is putting into recruiting at Oregon State along with improved schedules for them will allow for guys being seen more and elevating the brand.

38 minutes ago, Swayz said:

For 2022 season, I think Lock Haven may open some eyes.  2x Njcaa champ and a champ/2nd will add some older guys into the room to push the younger talent. 

I'm thinking the work Pendelton is putting into recruiting at Oregon State along with improved schedules for them will allow for guys being seen more and elevating the brand.

I'd love to see LHU get part way back to the glory years.  I remember going to a PSU @ LHU match back in the mid 80s.  It was beyond wild there.  

I think Michigan and Michigan State could both improve point totals considerably.  As previously posted Michigan could get in the 100 point range.

Michigan State, if they can get healthy, can AA at anywhere from 3 to 6 weights.  Low AA but still AA.

125-Foley

149-Omania

157-Saldate

184-Malczewskie

197-Caffey

285-Vasbinder

If Tucker drops back to his natural weight of 157 and Saldate makes a leap, they could get 165 as well.  I know the coaching staff is high on Caleb Fish, but I think he will redshirt to fill out 174 and give them four solid years there.  If Foley were to go 133 and not miss a beat and Lujan were to pan out like they hoped, 125 and 133 are both now scoring points at NCAAs.

If we are counting Ivies from when they last competed, Penn and Cornell have to be in consideration.

If the stars align perfectly for Grey's first season they could conceivably have 10 AA.  The coaching staff there certainly believes so and knows three will place very high/contend for a title.  The last team with 10 AA won, and did it with no champs right?  Imagine having 2 or 3 of them.

Penn?  They have the PRTC and we saw some grapplers make leaps on the RTC cards last year.  They believe Colaiocco, Artalona, and Urbas are all high AA contenders over there.  They also have others they expect to qualify and make noise too.

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

If we are counting Ivies from when they last competed, Penn and Cornell have to be in consideration.

If the stars align perfectly for Grey's first season they could conceivably have 10 AA.  The coaching staff there certainly believes so and knows three will place very high/contend for a title.  The last team with 10 AA won, and did it with no champs right?  Imagine having 2 or 3 of them.

Penn?  They have the PRTC and we saw some grapplers make leaps on the RTC cards last year.  They believe Colaiocco, Artalona, and Urbas are all high AA contenders over there.  They also have others they expect to qualify and make noise too.

Who could AA for Cornell at 174 and 184, other than Foca at whichever weight he'll actually go (likely 174)?  Loew?  True frosh Mayes?  Inconceivable.  

:-)

28 minutes ago, klehner said:

Who could AA for Cornell at 174 and 184, other than Foca at whichever weight he'll actually go (likely 174)?  Loew?  True frosh Mayes?  Inconceivable.  

:-)

Was thinking Foca and Loew, respectively.  If Foca is 184 does Loew go 174 or is it Berreyesa?

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I think Michigan and Michigan State could both improve point totals considerably.  As previously posted Michigan could get in the 100 point range.

Michigan State, if they can get healthy, can AA at anywhere from 3 to 6 weights.  Low AA but still AA.

125-Foley

149-Omania

157-Saldate

184-Malczewskie

197-Caffey

285-Vasbinder

If Tucker drops back to his natural weight of 157 and Saldate makes a leap, they could get 165 as well.  I know the coaching staff is high on Caleb Fish, but I think he will redshirt to fill out 174 and give them four solid years there.  If Foley were to go 133 and not miss a beat and Lujan were to pan out like they hoped, 125 and 133 are both now scoring points at NCAAs.

Is State unhealthy? Haven’t read too much lately about them. They definitely have stepped up from when that card shark was in his last  few seasons.

21 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

As much as I admire Tom Ryan's commitment to freestyle by refusing to train his athletes in the bottom position, if Ohio State doesn't improve, they may need to start thinking about a coaching change.  

How much of this is a running joke versus reality?  - genuine question by someone who doesn't know

In terms of improvement, I would also make mention of Cal Poly, considering the arrival of older brother Evan should be quite impactful for a relatively smaller program.  Truax is also a stud.  Interesting that both the team who lost and gained Evan Wick is arguably improved from last year.  

45 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

Is State unhealthy? Haven’t read too much lately about them. They definitely have stepped up from when that card shark was in his last  few seasons.

Caffey seems to always be banged up later in the season.  I know everyone is, but him more than most.  They haven't had a healthy HWT since Mike McClure.  Malczewski was defo injurred a B1Gs and Foley never seemed fully recovered this last season.  Enriquez was supposed to be down to 141 but also got hurt.

Yeah a lot of dings and injuries.  If they can be healthier than most, rather than the other way, they could surprise a lot of folks.

12 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Was thinking Foca and Loew, respectively.  If Foca is 184 does Loew go 174 or is it Berreyesa?

Loew can't realistically make 174, so likely Berreyesa (unless Peyton Craft can bust through as a true freshman).  Cornell roster has Foca at 174, FWIW.  If only Cardenas could cut to 184, but that won't happen, either.

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

Micic, Massa and Amine. No question their score improves...

Massa took 5th at 174 last year while receiving 2 medical forfeit wins , now you are adding Hidley and Mehki to the same weight, I don’t see anyway massa improves on that finish , more than likely they get less points from 174 this year

Amine should be top 3 at 184 

Micic will score more for michigan then they got last year but 133 is so stacked I could see him being anywhere from the finals to 7/8 match 

The track record for guys in years 6,7,8 isn’t great …always some exceptions like ashnault and Eierman but for the most part guys don’t do nearly as well after that much time in college 

48 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Massa took 5th at 174 last year while receiving 2 medical forfeit wins , now you are adding Hidley and Mehki to the same weight, I don’t see anyway massa improves on that finish , more than likely they get less points from 174 this year

Amine should be top 3 at 184 

Micic will score more for michigan then they got last year but 133 is so stacked I could see him being anywhere from the finals to 7/8 match 

The track record for guys in years 6,7,8 isn’t great …always some exceptions like ashnault and Eierman but for the most part guys don’t do nearly as well after that much time in college 

I think he was just saying since all three are back he doesn't see a drop.  Without Amine/Massa manning 165/174 they don't score points at one of those weights.  Amine coming back and dropping outs Brucki in at 197.  That also adds points.  Micic at 133 adds points, period.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I think he was just saying since all three are back he doesn't see a drop.  Without Amine/Massa manning 165/174 they don't score points at one of those weights.  Amine coming back and dropping outs Brucki in at 197.  That also adds points.  Micic at 133 adds points, period.

I was just pointing out that while they will score more at 184 and 133 ( not convinced that brucki will place 197 is stacked and he could have a real tough R12) but I think they will be getting less points at 174 , I think massa reached his folkstyle peak awhile ago and no way he beats a Hidley or Lewis 

16 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Princeton too could be stronger.   Hard to sort out who will be at what weight for these teams, although seems to be some good estimates of the Cornell lineup.   Anyone have idea of the Penn and Princeton lineups - did anyone just graduate and move on from 2 years ago? 

Just because the NCAA and Ivy league will allow another year does not mean the family will want to pay the freight.  Also, not sure how easy it is to get financial aid other than loans for extra semesters.  Seems like costs and opportunity costs can be a real factor on how many wrestlers stick around for the extra season.