Swayz

Most Improved D1 team will be? Why?

16 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Princeton too could be stronger.   Hard to sort out who will be at what weight for these teams, although seems to be some good estimates of the Cornell lineup.   Anyone have idea of the Penn and Princeton lineups - did anyone just graduate and move on from 2 years ago? 

Just because the NCAA and Ivy league will allow another year does not mean the family will want to pay the freight.  Also, not sure how easy it is to get financial aid other than loans for extra semesters.  Seems like costs and opportunity costs can be a real factor on how many wrestlers stick around for the extra season.

It really is only a big deal if the wrestler isn’t actively pursuing post graduate education. In the case of Michigan most of these guys are actually getting high level masters and/or doctorates from a very sought after University. Being able to wrestle that long and have it subsidize the cost to a degree is actually a benefit to them!

25 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Princeton too could be stronger.   Hard to sort out who will be at what weight for these teams, although seems to be some good estimates of the Cornell lineup.   Anyone have idea of the Penn and Princeton lineups - did anyone just graduate and move on from 2 years ago? 

Just because the NCAA and Ivy league will allow another year does not mean the family will want to pay the freight.  Also, not sure how easy it is to get financial aid other than loans for extra semesters.  Seems like costs and opportunity costs can be a real factor on how many wrestlers stick around for the extra season.

Princeton pretty much covers any expenses that the family of the student can't handle.

What's the opportunity cost of *not* getting a Princeton degree?

Princeton has Glory @ 125, Monday @ 157, Cuomo @ 165, and Stefanik @ 184, and very much nothing at the other weight classes.

7 minutes ago, klehner said:

Princeton pretty much covers any expenses that the family of the student can't handle.

Princeton has Glory @ 125, Monday @ 157, Cuomo @ 165, and Stefanik @ 184, and very much nothing at the other weight classes.

"very much nothing at the other weight classes" - hurtful.  I would say this is doubtful by Ivy standards, but may have a point in terms of NCAA pts.

The opportunity cost is guys delaying their careers and forbearing from getting the degree earlier.   I do not know the details, but I am not sure that the financial aid is so easy to secure for extra semesters on a five year plan.   

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I was just pointing out that while they will score more at 184 and 133 ( not convinced that brucki will place 197 is stacked and he could have a real tough R12) but I think they will be getting less points at 174 , I think massa reached his folkstyle peak awhile ago and no way he beats a Hidley or Lewis 

He has beaten Lewis in Freestyle twice in matches that would have looked pretty similar in Folkstyle.  He also holds a W over Hidlay does he not?

3 hours ago, klehner said:

Those are 4 really good guys to have though.  And Luke Stout at 197 looks promising.

27 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Those are 4 really good guys to have though.  And Luke Stout at 197 looks promising.

Given the subject of this thread, compare and contrast this group to these members of the 2020 group that last appeared at the EIWA:

Glory, Agaisse, Keller, Kolodzik, Monday, Cuomo, Stefanik, and Brucki.  Not sure how the 2022 squad can compare to that (can anyone replace Kolodzik and Brucki?).

Perhaps the new guys on the team will surprise and exceed expectations.

4 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I don't know brother. Maybe it was something else? I was surprised that I hadn't heard it. With that said, I have no Instagram nor Twitter game...

I was kidding. Mostly, the kids use IG and the older folk FB.

18 hours ago, Elevator said:

It’s not just money. Some guys want to move on to their careers. 

On 9/26/2021 at 10:12 PM, Billyhoyle said:

As much as I admire Tom Ryan's commitment to freestyle by refusing to train his athletes in the bottom position, if Ohio State doesn't improve, they may need to start thinking about a coaching change.  

Funny guy.

13 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I hear ya. He announced on Instagram a few weeks ago from what I read. FWIW...

Someone had posted in Minnow's group the Instergram post about it too.  I think it was Instergram, at least.  Was a week or so ago now, so I'm not sure either.

On 9/27/2021 at 7:47 AM, Mphillips said:

Micic, Massa and Amine. No question their score improves...

Well Massa and Amine were on the team last year, so most of their “improvement” should come from Micic and Brucki.

On 9/26/2021 at 10:44 PM, flyingcement said:

In terms of improvement, I would also make mention of Cal Poly, considering the arrival of older brother Evan should be quite impactful for a relatively smaller program.  Truax is also a stud.  Interesting that both the team who lost and gained Evan Wick is arguably improved from last year.  

Good call on Cal Poly.   But Wick didn’t wrestle last year, so in terms of the subject of this thread, Wisconsin isn’t “losing” him.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:11 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Although Matt Cover is not currently shown on Princeton's roster - he was wrestling really well through last year.  He had a nice win over Cornell's highly touted Lew Fernadez in FS that was pretty decisive.  Also missing from Princeton's roster are Clark. Keller and A. Conrad.  Some of these may be related to taking the 1st semester off to allow complete their eligibility prior to accruing enough credits to graduate.  This is a common practice amongst Ivy league schools which do not allow athletic competition after the completion of an undergraduate degree.  Bottom line is you may see more top guys added to Princeton's team in the 2nd semester.

On 9/26/2021 at 5:32 PM, nhs67 said:

I think Michigan and Michigan State could both improve point totals considerably.  As previously posted Michigan could get in the 100 point range.

Michigan State, if they can get healthy, can AA at anywhere from 3 to 6 weights.  Low AA but still AA.

125-Foley

149-Omania

157-Saldate

184-Malczewskie

197-Caffey

285-Vasbinder

If Tucker drops back to his natural weight of 157 and Saldate makes a leap, they could get 165 as well.  I know the coaching staff is high on Caleb Fish, but I think he will redshirt to fill out 174 and give them four solid years there.  If Foley were to go 133 and not miss a beat and Lujan were to pan out like they hoped, 125 and 133 are both now scoring points at NCAAs.

Vasbinder going HWT?! 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Where else would he go?  Does he beat Caffey out?  Does he drop and beat Malczewski?

He isn't on the current roster:

https://msuspartans.com/sports/wrestling/roster/2021-22

They haven't added Frosh so I assume they haven't added 'new' or incoming folks yet.

Most annoying thing ever.  Dam Big 10 school and we are out a month from starting competition (or less in many places)  and they can't get a dam roster up.   I am trying to think if Vasbinder has RS left?   

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Illinois because it couldn't have been any worse.

Finally, this is what I was waiting for. New coaches. Last year they started big, then died. They do have some talent. 

32 minutes ago, Swayz said:

Most annoying thing ever.  Dam Big 10 school and we are out a month from starting competition (or less in many places)  and they can't get a dam roster up.   I am trying to think if Vasbinder has RS left?   

Well Caffey and Malczewski are Soph/Junior so that wouldn't matter.  Unless Malczewski and Caffey drop back down, Vasbinder needs to go up.