Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Bouzakis to Ohio State (broken on Willie Saylor's show)

I don't understand the obsession with breaking recruiting news.  I guess it drives traffic, but it's not as if it's some incredible news story or scoop that requires proper attribution.  I feel the same way about the people who are obsessed with being the first to break news about trades or signing in the NBA/NFL/MLB.  Wow, good job, you beat the announcement by ten minutes.  

With that said, this isn't a criticism of Willie breaking the news...Just the overall trend of people caring about who the first is to break it.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I don't understand the obsession with breaking recruiting news.  I guess it drives traffic, but it's not as if it's some incredible news story or scoop that requires proper attribution.  I feel the same way about the people who are obsessed with being the first to break news about trades or signing in the NBA/NFL/MLB.  Wow, good job, you beat the announcement by ten minutes.  

With that said, this isn't a criticism of Willie breaking the news...Just the overall trend of people caring about who the first is to break it.  

Easy to say, but this is part of Willie's livelihood.

57 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Easy to say, but this is part of Willie's livelihood.

I’m sure it helps drive some traffic, but his rankings are second to none and he has an encyclopedic knowledge of high school/college wrestling. He recently just broke one of the bigger stories we’ve seen last week with the northwestern staff. I think beating an official recruiting announcement by 10 minutes and getting the “scoop” is pointless compared to everything else he contributes, but interviewing the athletes on the decision is excellent. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Just now, Billyhoyle said:

I’m sure it helps drive some traffic, but his rankings are second to none and he has an encyclopedic knowledge of high school/college wrestling. He recently just broke one of the bigger stories we’ve seen last week with the northwestern staff. I think beating an official recruiting announcement by 10 minutes and getting the “scoop” is pointless, but interviewing the athletes on the decision is excellent. 

That's just a matter of your opinion on a product.  Many people do value being the newsbreaker.  The biggest stars in sports reporting tend to be guys like Schefter, Glazer, Wojnarowski, and Charania.  The guys who break news.  I, too, tend to agree that I don't find as much value, but I'm not on social media constantly.  Younger people are, though.  Like it or not, this is monetization for Willie.

7 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

That's just a matter of your opinion on a product.  Many people do value being the newsbreaker.  The biggest stars in sports reporting tend to be guys like Schefter, Glazer, Wojnarowski, and Charania.  The guys who break news.  I, too, tend to agree that I don't find as much value, but I'm not on social media constantly.  Younger people are, though.  Like it or not, this is monetization for Willie.

I don’t have a problem with him being the first to report it. It’s good for his website to drive traffic. I don’t think it’s necessary to give him attribution for breaking a recruiting decision 10 minutes or a day before the official announcement though. For a story like the northwestern coaches one where it wasn’t coming out anyway and he really broke something, absolutely. 

And you’re right that this is just my opinion. No questioning you on that. 

Edited by Billyhoyle