Jump to content
The Take Out

When does Northwestern fire Howe and Kennedy?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Dartsingle said:

Highly effective.  Can we agree that this has been the path of science in the past year ...

1- Get the vaccine - you won't get covid.

 - Not true, was never said by anyone who actually understands these thing.

2 - Get the vaccine and you can be mask free !  And we will even throw some fast food, donuts, sporting tickets your way.

 - Had enough people gotten their vaccine as they were rolled out then this would still currently be the case

3 - Ok.  We've had some breakthrough cases - but they are very rare.

 - They were, and they became less rare as variants began to show up due to people not getting their vaccinations, AND not wearing masks, AND not taking other simple precautions.

4 - Ok, let's put our masks on again and maybe even lock down again.

 -See above

5 - I think we should talk about booster shot.

 - This was always going to be a thing regardless of any further breakthroughs/outbreaks/variants

6 - "Vaccines don't protect you from getting the virus"  they just reduce symptoms.

 - Vaccines do protect you, they do not make you 100% immune - They do reduce symptoms if you catch a breakthrough case (which should be much more rare than it is - see all the above)

7 - It's the unvaccinated people's faults

 - It is only the fault of those who are unvaccinated, AND have the option to get vaccinated, AND refuse to do simple tings to protect themselves and others.

8 - Fire the unvaccinated people

 

 - This is a matter of opinion. Personally, I myself have no comment other than it is at the discretion of the employer  

 

Sounds super effective to me ..lol 

 - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/keythingstoknow.html?s_cid=11629:about covid 19 vaccine:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN.Grants:FY22

Feel free to fact check, heres how. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cmon man !  Can you honestly say that the message being delivered was not that if you got the vaccine that you would NOT get covid.  

I don't know man, I got all of my vaccines in my lifetime....and those worked.....well, because I never got the things they protected me against.  

You also referenced that we don't have long term studies of what covid does to a person.....I AGREE completely.  We also have ZERO long term studies that show us what the covid vaccine does (aside from not protecting us from getting covid or transmitting covid).  So if I'm going to get covid anyway...why would I add another risk factor.

 

I'm sorry - for you to tell me or anyone what they MUST put something in their body...We can agree to disagree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m willing to buy a University of Northwestern season ticket after this. They really do the most with the least in the B1G — Jimmy Kennedy’s a huge loss. Hoping Andrew Howe has some security at the job, too. Can only imagine how stressful it’s been.

Iunno how y’all are okay with cutting 16 pounds every week and surviving off rice cakes and salted slices of tomato for a whole winter, but wanna be nutritionists and healthcare professionals all of a sudden. Shut up, y’all gotta keep the dumpster fire threads on the International subforum. Ffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dartsingle said:

Cmon man !  Can you honestly say that the message being delivered was not that if you got the vaccine that you would NOT get covid.  

I don't know man, I got all of my vaccines in my lifetime....and those worked.....well, because I never got the things they protected me against.  

You also referenced that we don't have long term studies of what covid does to a person.....I AGREE completely.  We also have ZERO long term studies that show us what the covid vaccine does (aside from not protecting us from getting covid or transmitting covid).  So if I'm going to get covid anyway...why would I add another risk factor.

 

I'm sorry - for you to tell me or anyone what they MUST put something in their body...We can agree to disagree. 

The message of any vaccine is that it is meant to help protect you against whatever you are being vaccinated against. So yes, I can honestly say that. 

The vaccines that you have gotten in your life work so well because the majority of people over time since those vaccines were created have also been vaccinated. This will likely be the case with COVID eventually, the question is how long will it take, and will there be a worse variant born that sets us back? 

As far as the long term risks go - Id say I'll take my chances with the vaccine that has undergone the scrutiny of research/experimentation, and helps protect me and my loved ones from a virus that has killed over 4 million world wide.

All of this being said, I honestly dont like the idea of the federal government stepping in and making sweeping mandates in regard to our personal health. I do however support employers, educational institutions...etc requiring vaccinations (as they always have).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one who didn't stress about someone without a flu shot being around their kid in 2018 should stress about someone without the COVID vaccine being around their kid in 2021. 

Unvaccinated kids have better COVID outcomes than vaccinated adults. [Source: nymag.com]

"Long COVID" in kids is a very small risk. [Source: BBC]

All vaccines are not created equal. The polio vaccine I got when I was a kid means I have a 0% chance of getting polio my entire lifetime. The COVID vaccine I got earlier this year means I can still get COVID, still transmit COVID, but supposedly means I will have a better outcome if I do get it. Oh, and it might have an expiration date and I'll need a booster. And the booster will mean what? If it means as much as the original vaccine, it won't mean much. 

In my opinion, the precautions taken to prevent COVID are extraordinarily out of proportion with the risk of COVID. A buddy of mine moved to Sweden in early 2020 before COVID hit. Had I known then what was coming, I might have stowed away in his suitcase. COVID is real in Sweden too, but life is normal. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Stop…the propaganda is hurting my eyes 

I feel like you don't have a proper understanding of many things, including what propaganda actually is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Return of Aztec said:

No one who didn't stress about someone without a flu shot being around their kid in 2018 should stress about someone without the COVID vaccine being around their kid in 2021. 

Unvaccinated kids have better COVID outcomes than vaccinated adults. [Source: nymag.com]

"Long COVID" in kids is a very small risk. [Source: BBC]

All vaccines are not created equal. The polio vaccine I got when I was a kid means I have a 0% chance of getting polio my entire lifetime. The COVID vaccine I got earlier this year means I can still get COVID, still transmit COVID, but supposedly means I will have a better outcome if I do get it. Oh, and it might have an expiration date and I'll need a booster. And the booster will mean what? If it means as much as the original vaccine, it won't mean much. 

In my opinion, the precautions taken to prevent COVID are extraordinarily out of proportion with the risk of COVID. A buddy of mine moved to Sweden in early 2020 before COVID hit. Had I known then what was coming, I might have stowed away in his suitcase. COVID is real in Sweden too, but life is normal. 

 

Did you actually read this article? I feel like if you did, given the other points you made, you would not have posted it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, iGranby said:

Did you actually read this article? I feel like if you did, given the other points you made, you would not have posted it.

 

Yes. What did I get wrong? 

From the article:

"According to that data, an unvaccinated 10-year-old, who may look like the very picture of COVID vulnerability heading into the school year, faces a lower mortality risk than a vaccinated 25-year-old, whom we might today regard as close to safe as can be. In England, the incidence of hospitalization among unvaccinated kids was lower than that of those vaccinated aged 18 to 29, and in recent weeks, the hospitalization rate among kids ages 5 to 14 has been only about one per 100,000." 

My claim was that unvaccinated kids have better COVID outcomes than vaccinated adults. This statement from the article supports that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Return of Aztec said:

Yes. What did I get wrong? 

From the article:

"According to that data, an unvaccinated 10-year-old, who may look like the very picture of COVID vulnerability heading into the school year, faces a lower mortality risk than a vaccinated 25-year-old, whom we might today regard as close to safe as can be. In England, the incidence of hospitalization among unvaccinated kids was lower than that of those vaccinated aged 18 to 29, and in recent weeks, the hospitalization rate among kids ages 5 to 14 has been only about one per 100,000." 

My claim was that unvaccinated kids have better COVID outcomes than vaccinated adults. This statement from the article supports that. 

Gotcha - fair enough. 

My point was mainly that the article made a wealth of points that are counter to (what seems to be) your line of thinking. Thought you had simply cherry-picked the article, that was my bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Return of Aztec said:

No one who didn't stress about someone without a flu shot being around their kid in 2018 should stress about someone without the COVID vaccine being around their kid in 2021. 

 

In my opinion, the precautions taken to prevent COVID are extraordinarily out of proportion with the risk of COVID. 

 

Bingo, way over board. And the most political vaccination in history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scribe said:

Until his son can get vax, he has every right to feel threatened by others lack of civic concern 

does he fear the conviction of those who are vaccinated, but still give it to his son?

the vax doesn't make covid go away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

but either way

its not a vaccine

its a proph.

like the flu shot

you still need one every year... b/c of changes.

there will never be a 'vaccine' for covid in the way we think about the polio vaccine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Return of Aztec said:

No one who didn't stress about someone without a flu shot being around their kid in 2018 should stress about someone without the COVID vaccine being around their kid in 2021. 

Unvaccinated kids have better COVID outcomes than vaccinated adults. [Source: nymag.com]

"Long COVID" in kids is a very small risk. [Source: BBC]

All vaccines are not created equal. The polio vaccine I got when I was a kid means I have a 0% chance of getting polio my entire lifetime. The COVID vaccine I got earlier this year means I can still get COVID, still transmit COVID, but supposedly means I will have a better outcome if I do get it. Oh, and it might have an expiration date and I'll need a booster. And the booster will mean what? If it means as much as the original vaccine, it won't mean much. 

In my opinion, the precautions taken to prevent COVID are extraordinarily out of proportion with the risk of COVID. A buddy of mine moved to Sweden in early 2020 before COVID hit. Had I known then what was coming, I might have stowed away in his suitcase. COVID is real in Sweden too, but life is normal. 

 

this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

 

 

I'm thinking this means he appealed the deadline and agreed to a later one. Northwestern's been very cautious with regard to covid and its' students so far; I can't imagine they're now being more relaxed and making exceptions for a coach in a sport the AD doesn't like in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dman115 said:

If you are vaccinated WHO CARES!!  

Because the unvaxxed are the reason my kids still have to wear masks in school, my work location is still remote, and people can't get medical care because hospitals are overwhelmed with unvaxxed people with covid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dartsingle said:

I respect anyone who wants to be vaccinated and I am not anti vaccination; I just don't trust the science at this point.  5 years from now, I might be first in line to get it.  

i suspect you will. who else is going to be on that line in 5 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Because the unvaxxed are the reason my kids still have to wear masks in school, my work location is still remote, and people can't get medical care because hospitals are overwhelmed with unvaxxed people with covid. 

Curious, where did Delta come from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ionel said:

Curious, where did Delta come from?

it didn't start in the united states where people were getting vaccinated. it isn't an adaptation to the vaccine, it is a natural adaptation to people's normal immune response. the same immune response that you know is so effective that it makes you downplay the seriousness of COVID generally is what prompts the variants, not the vaccine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, iGranby said:

Gotcha - fair enough. 

My point was mainly that the article made a wealth of points that are counter to (what seems to be) your line of thinking. Thought you had simply cherry-picked the article, that was my bad. 

It's a long article with many points, but the main idea as far as I can tell is that is that the risk of COVD skews very old regardless of vaccination status, so issues such as vaccination, masking, social distancing, and boosters should take into account the different risk to different demographics and not be one-size-fits-all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Return of Aztec said:

It's a long article with many points, but the main idea as far as I can tell is that is that the risk of COVD skews very old regardless of vaccination status, so issues such as vaccination, masking, social distancing, and boosters should take into account the different risk to different demographics and not be one-size-fits-all.

No - we all vaccinate to protect ourselves and the other more vulneralbe members of the community and country.  The broad public health benefits of vaccination (see smallpox) are premised on high compliance levels for the mutual benefit of all.  But even on a purely selfish analysis for each individual there is enormous benefit in reducing risk from getting vacinated that far exceeds the minimal risks and side effects.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ugarte said:

it didn't start in the united states where people were getting vaccinated. it isn't an adaptation to the vaccine, it is a natural adaptation to people's normal immune response. the same immune response that you know is so effective that it makes you downplay the seriousness of COVID generally is what prompts the variants, not the vaccine.

So you are saying unvaccinated folks in the US are not the reason Fletcher's kids have to wear masks?  Maybe this is a world issue, maybe we should've allowed 20 to 40 year olds to also get vaccinated early, maybe this was a complex completely new thing and no one couldve figured out the perfect way to address the pandemic, nor have we yet in hindsight?   

Edited by ionel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ionel said:

So you are saying unvaccinated folks in the US are not the reason Fletcher's kids have to wear masks?  Maybe this is a world issue, maybe we should've allowed 20 to 40 year olds to also get vaccinated early, maybe this was a complex completely thing and no one couldve figured out the perfect way to address the pandemic, nor have we yet in hindsight?   

Nice try at changing the subject. Virus variations are not something we can control. Getting enough people vaxxed to get to herd immunity is something we can control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fletcher said:

Nice try at changing the subject. Virus variations are not something we can control. Getting enough people vaxxed to get to herd immunity is something we can control.

We can't very well control other countries, Delta didn't start in the USA.  We could've maybe controlled the rapid spread if we'd known, but we didn't allow the young to be vaccinated early.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ionel said:

We can't very well control other countries, Delta didn't start in the USA.  We could've maybe controlled the rapid spread if we'd known, but we didn't allow the young to be vaccinated early.  

Doesn't matter - we are where we are. The only way out is thru herd immunity, either thru mass infection or mass vaccination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...