Sign in to follow this  
toptotop69

2014 team race

Any predictions on the top level finishers in the 2014 team race? I say Penn State, Minnesota State and Oklahoma State in any order 1-3. Iowa, Ohio State and Oklahoma the second group. And yes i know new recruits can surprise, good or bad. Did not peg Megaludis for the high place finishes he has had with no redshirt. Thought Evans would do better than a DNP and sixth. The Okie State 157 pounder placed higher than I believed. Just examples of surprises, at least to me.

Any predictions on the top level finishers in the 2014 team race? I say Penn State, Minnesota State and Oklahoma State in any order 1-3. Iowa, Ohio State and Oklahoma the second group. And yes i know new recruits can surprise, good or bad. Did not peg Megaludis for the high place finishes he has had with no redshirt. Thought Evans would do better than a DNP and sixth. The Okie State 157 pounder placed higher than I believed. Just examples of surprises, at least to me.

Surprise to me is finding Minnesota State in D1, and eligible next year. ;)

I thought Minnesota State was a D_2 school @ Mankato, a good wrestling school but behind St Cloud!!!

As I have stated before Minnesota ( the U ) will be in the race all the way, with 8 returning all American's including Steinhaus they will be a team that after the title. If you look with Gold glasses you could see them in the finials @ 149,174,184,197 & Hwt. Counting Stienhaus's 2012 points they are returning the most points. I think anyone in the know- knows that Steinhaus was injured last year at the NCAA'S he gave Ruth his closest match of the year. Storley had a bad hand and took forth and beat everyone in front of him during the year.

Minnesota State had some of the best Division 1 Football coaches throughout the 90's..Hayden Fox, Luther Van Damm and Dauber were a Great Staff...They had a Great division 1 Football Program and all their games were on TV... The Minnesota State Screaming Eagles..I still remember when they won a National Title mid 90's...Pretty sure the whole staff went to NFL after winning NC.

Good try donnie.

Minnesota State had some of the best Division 1 Football coaches throughout the 90's..Hayden Fox, Luther Van Damm and Dauber were a Great Staff...They had a Great division 1 Football Program and all their games were on TV... The Minnesota State Screaming Eagles..I still remember when they won a National Title mid 90's...Pretty sure the whole staff went to NFL after winning NC.

I loved how during the Title game their QB faked an injury and then came out of the wheel chair to win the game late.

I think Ohio State starts the season as the favorite, but we need to see their redshirts and frosh compete before knowing how they stack up. Iowa should be right up there as well as Minnesota, Penn State and Oklahoma State. I think that is a pretty solid top 5 in some order.

Getting bold: UNI improves upon their 15th place finish this year. 8-)

Kind of weird to read this post one year later.

I posted it sarcastically (hence the "getting bold" and the cool face at the end) because I never thought that it would be an issue that they'd finish above 15th, which is where they finished at the end of the 2012-2013 season. As it all played out, they did not finish above their 2012-2013 finish; they finished exactly the same, 15th, but did add one more AA.

So, DaOhio State is poised to make a run at the title, they have all the potential. I am curious to hear from buckeye fans, what is the lowest place at NCAA's would be considered a "success" ? Some team(s) may out point them by a few at NCAA's but still a great season. What if they end up 3rd, 4th or 5th?

Pressure for Ryan, especially is Roselli gets a head coaching job.

Anything can happen but OSU looks formidable. I don't see hunter Steiber less than 7th. I see Logan winning with bonus in most of his matches. I see Bo Jordon as top three to five,maybe a titlist. I see Snyder in the top three,maybe top five,and a potential,likely finalists. I see Thomsello as an AA. I think the 33 pounder will be top 15. Martin will be top 20. Haines will likely redshirt but I see the hwt as top 15-18. Who else has that much firepower? Is OSU going to the National Duals? When is that decided?

Anything can happen but OSU looks formidable. I don't see hunter Steiber less than 7th. I see Logan winning with bonus in most of his matches. I see Bo Jordon as top three to five,maybe a titlist. I see Snyder in the top three,maybe top five,and a potential,likely finalists. I see Thomsello as an AA. I think the 33 pounder will be top 15. Martin will be top 20. Haines will likely redshirt but I see the hwt as top 15-18. Who else has that much firepower? Is OSU going to the National Duals? When is that decided?

I think Ohio State starts the season as the favorite, but we need to see their redshirts and frosh compete before knowing how they stack up. Iowa should be right up there as well as Minnesota, Penn State and Oklahoma State. I think that is a pretty solid top 5 in some order.

I have a hard time seeing Ohio State as favorites before a few of their studs even wrestle a varsity match, sorry. They may end up winning, kind of like Penn State did their first year, but we'll see.

There is no question, ON PAPER, tOSU looks like the team to beat. However, we all know you don't win on paper. For Ohio State to win they will have to rely on several Freshman to perform at a super high level. Even with freshman being more college ready than ever more falter at the NCAA tournament than overachieve.

Even if tOSU performs well from top to bottom you still have 4 teams in PSU, Iowa, Minnesota and Cornell that have the depth to challenge. This doesn't even count OkState who has really turned it on in March the last 2 years.

I think it is in PSU's best interest to redshirt where they can this year and come back next year strong. But, if they go full throttle and put their best line up out this upcoming year they could pull off the 5peat. A lineup of Megaludis, Gulibon, Retherford, Alton, Alton, Nickal(could he get down to 65?), Brown, McIntosh(could he get down to 84?), 197 would be a big ?, and Nevills looks very formidable.

Iowa has tons of potential if they go Gilman, Clark, Dziewa, Sorenson, Grothus, Moore, Evans, Brooks, Burak and Telford.

Minnesota will depend heavily on what they do in their 1st half of the lineup. If they could pull off a Brancale, Dardanes, Dardanes, Short, Ness start they would be beastly. The lineup would round off with Wantzek, Storley, Pfarr, Schiller and Kroells. The problem is this doesn't seem likely. Rumor is Ness is moving to 165 and if he does and the Dardanes stay where they were they are considerably less powerful in the 1st 5 weight classes.

Cornell could be the sleeper of the group. As Koll said in his interview, if they can fill in 141, 174 and 285 (I think they only need 1 AA out of the 3) they could win it all. A lineup of Garrett, Grey, ?, Villalonga, Realbuto, Palacio, ?, Dean, Bennett, ? could be outstanding if they find 3 steady guys to fill the question marks.

OkState is changing too much going into next year for me to try to make an accurate prediction. I have all the faith in the world in Smith and am confident he will put out a top notch product in March.

OkState is changing too much going into next year for me to try to make an accurate prediction. I have all the faith in the world in Smith and am confident he will put out a top notch product in March.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hast Ok St darkhorsed the NCAA team race the last two years? "You can't count anyone out come March" has become a cliche and the pathetic rallying call of Hawkeye fans every year, but Ok St put together two great tournaments.