spladle08

Worlds Day 1 61/74/86/125kg

Draws will come out this afternoon /evening and the fun begins.

Draw are important for Fix and Gwiz, doubt Dake or DT care who they get early.

Is Fix big enough at 61kg to crush like he crushed our other 57kg wrestlers at trials?

Will Dake have the same "illness" on the front side of the bracket, or does the lack of top level competition heal him?

DT will clearly DT, has the better side of the bracket, clear finalist.

Gwiz, hopefully he meets Geno early and gets a solid shot at bronze.

#LetsGo

If he meets Geno, that means topside.  I have him beating Geno on topside.
I'd love that! I hope you're right.
Geno (obviously Olympics went sideways) but as far as a heavyweight that can go out and score when he needs to, he takes the cake for me, and I think Gwiz might be just a little bit too limited offensively.
I really hope. Gwiz is on the topside though

21 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Geno (obviously Olympics went sideways) but as far as a heavyweight that can go out and score when he needs to, he takes the cake for me, and I think Gwiz might be just a little bit too limited offensively.

Well I mean, Geno did score when he needed to, he just didn't hold when he needed to....

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

I believe moat optimistic Americans would say Gwiaz has never looked better.

Well he is 0-1 against Geno and that was a 5-6 loss.

Edited by nhs67

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Kinda lame. Familiar opponents for Gwiz. Probably gonna beat Dhesi by a few points then get hammered by Zare. Forgive my ignorance, has Zare/Akgul happened before? By the common-opponent Kevin Bacon method I have Zare winning. Too bad that Gwiz has to beat one to medal. Top half looks pretty thin. 

1. Geno

2. Zare

3. Akgul

3. Idk

Still rooting for Gwiz hard though. I've thought he was a freak ever since I saw his VA Beach senior nationals final. Heavyweight is so good now domestically & internationally that we forget how good he is. You could almost say he started it, at least here in the States.

Geez, Gilman got the Russian in Round 1?  Brutal.  I know it's not Uguev, but didn't this guy beat Gilman previously?

Fix is in not that bad of a spot.

I don't know 65kg that well, how is Yianni's spot?  No obvious landmines to me.

Green should make the 1/4s, but that's a tough match for him.

Dake's draw looks good.

The world has to be ecstatic that Burroughs was a random draw, lol.  Should be in the semis at least.

Not that it should matter, but has Taylor's 1st round opponent given him a tough match before?

Cox has a sweet draw to the semis.

Nobody jumps out as a landmine to Sadulaev-Snyder 4 except for Odikadze, who I think may have aged out of being a real threat.

Tough luck for Gwiz to get the one of the top 3 least likely to make the finals in his quarter.

Kinda lame. Familiar opponents for Gwiz. Probably gonna beat Dhesi by a few points then get hammered by Zare. Forgive my ignorance, has Zare/Akgul happened before? By the common-opponent Kevin Bacon method I have Zare winning. Too bad that Gwiz has to beat one to medal. Top half looks pretty thin. 
1. Geno
2. Zare
3. Akgul
3. Idk
Still rooting for Gwiz hard though. I've thought he was a freak ever since I saw his VA Beach senior nationals final. Heavyweight is so good now domestically & internationally that we forget how good he is. You could almost say he started it, at least here in the States.
I don't know if they've ever met, good question.
I know he's ran into Geno multiple times, let me look but id favor Zare. (Quick glance I don't see H2H results but maybe somebody will chime in )

Geez, Gilman got the Russian in Round 1?  Brutal.  I know it's not Uguev, but didn't this guy beat Gilman previously?

Fix is in not that bad of a spot.

I don't know 65kg that well, how is Yianni's spot?  No obvious landmines to me.

Green should make the 1/4s, but that's a tough match for him.

Dake's draw looks good.

The world has to be ecstatic that Burroughs was a random draw, lol.  Should be in the semis at least.

Not that it should matter, but has Taylor's 1st round opponent given him a tough match before?

Cox has a sweet draw to the semis.

Nobody jumps out as a landmine to Sadulaev-Snyder 4 except for Odikadze, who I think may have aged out of being a real threat.

Tough luck for Gwiz to get the one of the top 3 least likely to make the finals in his quarter.

*Gilman got a pretty good draw, should be wrestling for a medal either way .

*Fix is an an OK spot.... If he makes the quarters I think he has a good shot at a medal .

*Yainni is in a pickle... Lol the clearly tougher half, opens with an easy match, then gets one of the favorites, then another monster on the quarters just to get to SHakiev in the semis... If he drops one of those first 3 a medal seems unlikely, hate the draw.

Green has a favorable draw.

Dake's great

JB has a few warm up matches before a seemingly tough quarters.

*Makoev was real tough for one tournament in his life, since then everyone's handle him.

Cox is gonna be in full Cox mode. A lot of 5-0 type wins .

Sadulaev-Snyder 4 is locked

Gwiz is in a tough spot, he loses to Zare and then hopes Zare beats Taha so he can finish 5th .

1 hour ago, Weems said:

1. Geno

2. Zare

3. Akgul

3. Idk

Zare and Akgul have never wrestled before

Zare is 1-1 with Geno 

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Zare and Akgul have never wrestled before

Zare is 1-1 with Geno 

At the time Zare beat Geno I was very hard-pressed to be convinced Geno wasn't paid to take a dive. I'm now much more inclined to believe otherwise.

55 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

At the time Zare beat Geno I was very hard-pressed to be convinced Geno wasn't paid to take a dive. I'm now much more inclined to believe otherwise.

To be fair, even in that match Geno was something like 8-0 up and Zare was saved from being teched by the first period ending, then Geno totally gassed (not a major tournament, so makes sense) and Zare turned it around. But ironically their second match was sort of the opposite, with Zare totally dominant in the first period then Zare gassed as Geno took over, lol.

26 minutes ago, mspart said:

This all starts too early for me on the pacific side of the country.  I'll have to look at it when I get up. 

mspart

There are clever ways to keep your eyes open if you stay up late through the night or get up very early to watch:

image.jpeg.f175f7f99b4f19da09b2d185fd232826.jpegimage.jpeg.0d4448baa24ad6fbc41f4caeb9d6c336.jpegimage.jpeg.6de11a98f2172fa8b860dd6545d183de.jpeg

38 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Hahahha classic :)
I've got nothing to do this weekend so I'll be up at 3am ready to watch some fireworks .
Tired/excitement/degenerate level 100

I like the "degenerate" part.  I didn't miss a freestyle match in the Olympics this summer, despite working, being a dad, and training for a marathon.  I was a mess by the end of the games.

I like the "degenerate" part.  I didn't miss a freestyle match in the Olympics this summer, despite working, being a dad, and training for a marathon.  I was a mess by the end of the games.
Those hours were brutal! But I was right there with you.
It's tough being fan.

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Those hours were brutal! But I was right there with you.
It's tough being fan.

It was worth it, but I needed my rest!  I won't be quite as fanatical this time around.

Edited by AHamilton