spladle08

Worlds Day 1 61/74/86/125kg

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

I like the "degenerate" part.  I didn't miss a freestyle match in the Olympics this summer, despite working, being a dad, and training for a marathon.  I was a mess by the end of the games.

If you were running that early then you must have been in the throes of it. What did you run? What plan did you follow? I’m about to senddddddd it at Chicago and just ran a modified Pfitz 18/123 after 18 months of unwanted base building

Nice!  I am going next weekend!  I would watch a session and get a run in as soon as I could.  Often it was too hot.  I am on Hal Higdon Intermediate 2, with a touch of Jack Daniels (not the whiskey) along with my own lifting and running.  Calculators tell me I can run a 3:52, but I'm shooting for 4:00.  I lost 60 over the past few years, and have had covid, skin cancer and a couple minor injuries this past year... so I will be happy with whatever.

What time are you shooting for?  Good luck!

Interesting that there are some distance runners out there among the wrestlers (or former wrestlers).   I also hit the roads myself.  Run 4-6 days per week, including once a week with a runners group in Philly where the majority of the members are 1/2 or 1/3 of my age.   Mostly 5Ks and an occasional 10K or half marathon prior to Covid.   I've run 3 marathons (2:56 PR) but none recently.   Best wishes on the training and your respective marathons.   I need to build my distance base a lot more and further cut some weight before attempting  another one. It seems a great deal more daunting psychologically and physically as father time encroaches. 

Edited by dmm53

6 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Interesting that there are some distance runners out there among the wrestlers (or former wrestlers).   I also hit the roads myself.  Run 4-6 days per week, including once a week with a runners group in Philly where the majority of the members are 1/2 or 1/3 of my age.   Mostly 5Ks and an occasional 10K or half marathon prior to Covid.   I've run 3 marathons (2:56 PR) but none recently.   Best wishes on the training and your respective marathons.   I need to build my distance base a lot more and further cut some weight before attempting  another one. It seems a great deal more daunting psychologically and physically as father time encroaches. 

2:56 is impressive! I'm 52 and 185 ish.  I'm getting a bit scared for next week!

17 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

2:56 is impressive! I'm 52 and 185 ish.  I'm getting a bit scared for next week!

The weight issue relative to one's running times is interesting.  From everything I've read and experienced myself, if you can lower your weight in a healthy manner, it will definitely improve your race times.   Here's one accessible article:

https://thewiredrunner.com/does-weight-loss-make-you-run-faster/

As you age, of course, your maximum amount of oxygen declines (VO2) and so does your stride length, I think.   

https://www.cnet.com/health/your-vo2-max-explained/

The key thing I concern myself with is injuries when I start adding distance or speed work.   When I was much younger and much lighter in weight, I never got injured when I wrestled or ran (played soccer  or tennis or whatever other sport).   I discovered more recently that doing yoga seriously helped to maintain flexibility (and prevent injury) even if it is initially difficult to coordinate with distance running in terms of the muscle sets and the amount of time one has for it.

Good luck!  What marathon are you training for?  (Maybe you said and I missed it.).   It is an intense and memorable experience.   I recall hearing that after the Boston Marathon a runner once came up to Bill Rogers and asked him "How are you able to run so fast?" (he ran a 2:12 or something like that).  He replied to the much slower runner who had finished around 5 hours, "How are you able to run for so long?"

53 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

I think that time qualifies you for the Boston Marathon. You've pretty much attained the number one accomplishment for recreational runners. 

74 kg - Bizhoev  (RUS) is up vs Yash (India).  Up 4-0 at break.  Has a nice drag.  Light on feet for go behind on edge.  Bizhoev wins 7-0.

Edited by nom

Fix with 2 nice and fast TDs, and a  sweet counter TD.  Plus a shot clock point.  Winning 7-0.  Vs Vangelov (Bulgaria).  Looking good.  Not able to get his gut going.  Vagelov with some good D there.  

Fix with offense is special.  I've given him grief for a lack of offense in the past.  Really like seeing him pull the trigger.  Ends with 4 pointer at buzzer!  11-0.

On his TDs, gets to leg and is able to pull it way out from under opponent, love it.

Edited by nom

1 minute ago, nom said:

Fix with 2 nice TDs, and a  sweet counter TD.  Plus a shot clock point.  Winning 7-0.  Vs Vangelov (Bulgaria).  Looking good.  Not able to get his gut going.  Vagelov with some good D there.  

Fix with offense is special.  I've given him grief for a lack of offense in the past.  Really like seeing him pull the trigger.

4 pointer at the buzzer to win 11-0!

Fix with 2 nice and fast TDs, and a  sweet counter TD.  Plus a shot clock point.  Winning 7-0.  Vs Vangelov (Bulgaria).  Looking good.  Not able to get his gut going.  Vagelov with some good D there.  
Fix with offense is special.  I've given him grief for a lack of offense in the past.  Really like seeing him pull the trigger.  Ends with 4 pointer at buzzer!  11-0.
On his TDs, gets to leg and is able to pull it way out from under opponent, love it.
Fix looked great, hope he keeps it up

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:
3 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:
Challenge time is still ridiculous. 

Lol it really slows down the match, tough thing to do in a sport where pace is pretty important.

Rule should be that if they can't decide in one minute to overrule, the ref's call stands.

Rule should be that if they can't decide in one minute to overrule, the ref's call stands.
I would almost like a higher ranking official to be in charge of the booth... Challenge blocks come in and this "ultimate ruler" says yay or nay.

A little huddle around a tv and subsequent discussion I don't like