Perry

Will Iowa Get a Team Trophy?

in 2023 that is. They are once again a front runner for the title in 2022 with their team of 6/7th year athletes, but the roster depletes big time after this season. I don't see how they can lose Lee, Desanto, Eirman, Young, Marinelli, Kemmerer and possibly Murin and Warner as well and still be competitive. Who fills these voids and what kind of an immediate impact do they represent? Murin and Marinelli don't represent much of a point loss (though Marinelli certainly has a high ceiling - he just always fails to reach it when it matters). Ayala and Henson are good - but likely not better than middle of the pack AA types out of the gate. Perhaps Kennedy? Who else jumps into these spots and scores points? I have a feeling the Hawks are going to fall off a cliff in a big way for a few years after this legendary (and AARP qualifying) class moves on. 

As of now, they do have a pretty salty lineup, but it definitely will be very unproven having to replace so many 4 year starters:

125: Ayala

133: Schriever

141: Henson

149: Murin

157: Rathjen

165: Reyna

174: Kennedy

184: Assad/Brands

197: Warner

285: Cass

I think Ayala and Kennedy will be immediate contenders.  After that, they need Cass and Warner to be damn near locks as Finalists.  If they can get all 4 in the top 4, Murin to be a mid AA, it really comes down to Assad/Brands making the jump to AA status and Henson and Schriever meeting their potential.  That just leaves Rathjen and Reyna and I don't know what to think of them as of yet.

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

As of now, they do have a pretty salty lineup, but it definitely will be very unproven having to replace so many 4 year starters:

125: Ayala

133: Schriever

141: Henson

149: Murin

157: Rathjen

165: Reyna

174: Kennedy

184: Assad/Brands

197: Warner

285: Cass

I think Ayala and Kennedy will be immediate contenders.  After that, they need Cass and Warner to be damn near locks as Finalists.  If they can get all 4 in the top 4, Murin to be a mid AA, it really comes down to Assad/Brands making the jump to AA status and Henson and Schriever meeting their potential.  That just leaves Rathjen and Reyna and I don't know what to think of them as of yet.

that is nowhere close to trophy team

I think Murin goes back to 141 his senior year and Rathjen goes 149. Henson/Ybarra/Schriever fights out 133. 

If they get Jesse Mendez then Murin could stay at 149 and Mendez goes 141 as a true freshman. 

As for their team hardware aspirations, really depends on how their young guys develop out of redshirt. Ybarra and Kennedy will both have 2 years in the room by the time they wrestle. Kennedy and Ayala, I have super high hopes for, upper AA/contender right away. How Assad recovers from his injury will be key also. 

They're losing literally 100+ points from their team all in all though for 2023.  

Edited by IGotAPlan

8 minutes ago, IGotAPlan said:

As for their team hardware aspirations, really depends on how their young guys develop out of redshirt. Ybarra and Kennedy will both have 2 years in the room by the time they wrestle. Kennedy and Ayala, I have super high hopes for, upper AA/contender right away. How Assad recovers from his injury will be key also. 

They're losing literally 100+ points from their team all in all though for 2023.  

I don't generally rot for them, but it seems like Iowa has quite a record for developing young wrestlers.   

Will Murin and Warner for sure be back? I imagine they will be, but wasn't sure if they've officially said as much at this point. I don't know if I can see Brands down at 165, he seems a little thick but who knows. Kennedy, brands and Assad in any order is pretty solid if all are firing at 100%

1 hour ago, Cowboy08 said:

that is nowhere close to trophy team

You have literally no way to know that, since 40% of that line up hasn't stepped foot on a college mat.  And Iowa's record of getting a trophy under Brands...pretty good.