wnywrestling

Who's the commentator in this match?

It's Jason Knapp.  He's very good.  Knowledgable.  Focused on the action.   Provides stories and background but doesn't stray too far from what is going on.  He relies on the experts and insiders (e.g., John Smith) when he has them on.   He also has a pleasant voice. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Knapp_(sportscaster)

https://twitter.com/jasonknapp44?lang=en

8 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

It's Jason Knapp.  He's very good.  Knowledgable.  Focused on the action.   Provides stories and background but doesn't stray too far from what is going on.  He relies on the experts and insiders (e.g., John Smith) when he has them on.   He also has a pleasant voice. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Knapp_(sportscaster)

https://twitter.com/jasonknapp44?lang=en

This guys is great, and the bolded is so important.  John Smith's meandering stories were pretty distracting.   This guy sounds professional-like the announcing you'd get in the NBA, NFL, or MLB.  Then the opposite end of the spectrum is the flo  tendency to detail every single thing  that's happening in the match and freak out over anything sightly interesting.  

31 minutes ago, wnywrestling said:

Sounds like he's at Worlds. I hear what sounds like him & another guy doing the semis on Flo, which I assume is the UWW--produced stream.

I believe it is Bryan Hazard and Shawn Kenney on the UWW feed that Flo is using. At least that's what it sounded like when they signed off.

Shawn Kenney, he's here in Oslo doing the UWW finals. Hazard is doing the color with him for men's freestyle and one day of women's freestyle before Aline Rotter Focken jumps in his place. Hazard and I are splitting morning sessions on the PA and I've got the finals sessions and every other day (saves our voices for a nine-day event).

Knapp will be seen on NBC-related streams/TV, Kenney will be the guy you hear on UWW-produced things. 

3 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Shawn Kenney, he's here in Oslo doing the UWW finals. Hazard is doing the color with him for men's freestyle and one day of women's freestyle before Aline Rotter Focken jumps in his place. Hazard and I are splitting morning sessions on the PA and I've got the finals sessions and every other day (saves our voices for a nine-day event).

Knapp will be seen on NBC-related streams/TV, Kenney will be the guy you hear on UWW-produced things. 

I'm pretty sure Knapp also commentates ACC Network matches alongside my old high school teammate Gerard Harrison.

IIRC, he also handles some of the NCAA tournament load.

He's very good

9 minutes ago, whaletail said:

I'm pretty sure Knapp also commentates ACC Network matches alongside my old high school teammate Gerard Harrison.

IIRC, he also handles some of the NCAA tournament load.

He's very good

ACC seemed to have a solid commentator team when I’ve watched their events. 

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

Shawn Kenney is on ACC Network. Jason Knapp did a lot of Pac-12 network and NBC Olympics stuff. 

Kenney is part of the NCAA crew as well. 

But is the broadcaster featured in the OP's video Jason Knapp or Shawn Kenney?  The guy sounds exactly like Harrison's ACCN partner, and frankly, now that I recall who Knapp is, nothing like him.

Knapp's definitely learned a lot over the last few years, but clearly doesn't have a wrestling background.

Of course, between he and Smith, only one of them actually pronounced Steveson correctly, and it wasn't Smith.  That was really awkward, and honestly, I thought Smith's undisguised disgust with the refs provided his best moments.

"Put that whistle back in your pocket ref, get out of the way, and let 'em wrestle."

Unsurprisingly, Burroughs was goddamn phenomenal in the studio, and probably would have been great as the color guy.

As for Kenney, he's good enough that even though I don't think he comes from a wrestling background, it's far from obvious, and his earnest enthusiasm suggests he's become a fan along the way.

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

Shawn Kenney is on ACC Network. Jason Knapp did a lot of Pac-12 network and NBC Olympics stuff. 

Kenney is part of the NCAA crew as well. 

If we're talking Pac 12 broadcasting, there's Ken Chertow and everyone else. No one mis-pronounces the simplest of names, or steamrolls a broadcast like the GOAT!

Unless you're shooting like Mason Parris, you're stalling on your feet; unless you're Spencer Lee and running a bar series, you're stalling on top, and if you're not winning, you're wrestling a terrible match.  And probably stalling.

2 hours ago, whaletail said:

If we're talking Pac 12 broadcasting, there's Ken Chertow and everyone else. No one mis-pronounces the simplest of names, or steamrolls a broadcast like the GOAT!

Unless you're shooting like Mason Parris, you're stalling on your feet; unless you're Spencer Lee and running a bar series, you're stalling on top, and if you're not winning, you're wrestling a terrible match.  And probably stalling.

Ken Chertow seemed to beloved... and then the love all went away for some reason