Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Flo is not in Oslo

2 hours ago, Katie said:

Basically, UWW broadcasts worlds for free to most of the world.  It used to be free in US as well, and I clearly remember that.

Then Track had the bright idea of buying the “broadcast rights” for worlds — which basically means they paid to block the free feed in the US, and then force people to pay them to watch it. Jaroslav says they charged $40.

Then Flo one upped Track by deciding to force people to purchase a one year subscription for $150 just to watch worlds.

These annoying schemes are exactly why I stopped watching MMA.  I’ve been moving towards the NBA in recent years, and I might switch totally over soon. This is just ridiculous.  

What is the "NBA"?

7 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Track was $40 for just Worlds. Next year there will also be world cups. also we have the age level championships. all for the same low low price. 

Sorry for ruining worlds for you. maybe someone can give you a flo sub as a birthday present or something. 

I assume that Flo pays the UWW for the U.S. rights. Is that the case?

41 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Best post I have read in some time

Thank you.  I have beyond a big time education in Physics from a certain upstate NY university, and I don't mind saying Quantum Physics/Mechanics never made a lick of sense.  Fortunately, there was always a very good job market for those of us limited to the "observable universe".

9 hours ago, Mphillips said:

NJ Superdan just doesn't give a f ( ( k.  Whatever thought pops into his mind just becomes a fact. Must be a very freeing way to live. 

10 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

There is no way NJ Dan is a real person.

I envy him.

Edited by Mphillips

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

There is no way NJ Dan is a real person.

You said this before. I always knew that repetition is the key to wit and now you ave proved, AssHamilton.

13 hours ago, Katie said:

Basically, UWW broadcasts worlds for free to most of the world.  It used to be free in US as well, and I clearly remember that.

Then Track had the bright idea of buying the “broadcast rights” for worlds — which basically means they paid to block the free feed in the US, and then forced people to pay them to watch it. Jaroslav says they charged $40.

Then Flo one-upped Track by deciding to force people to purchase a one-year subscription for $150 just to watch worlds.

These annoying schemes are exactly why I stopped watching MMA.  I’ve been moving towards the NBA in recent years, and I might switch totally over soon. This is just ridiculous.  

you have it backwards. UWW WANTS to sell the "broadcast rights" to the event to every country in the world. it's not that UWW's "free broadcast" is being "blocked", it's that UWW hasn't found a broadcast partner for every country yet. so in those countries, UWW allows people to watch for free, in hopes of generating sufficient interest to take on a broadcast partner. producing and broadcasting the Worlds is very expensive, and doing it without partners paying for the media rights would be very bad for UWW, as they would lose lots of money on the event and have to do all the marketing and promotion themselves. 

the idea of selling media rights is a classic "scheme" employed by every successful sports event or league, including the NBA. 

also i'm sorry but the idea that you highly value watching Senior Worlds live but you don't value watching archives, watching films on the athletes that participate in worlds, reading and watching analysis of worlds, or watch any of the other events live that have athletes that will are already participate at the world championships, like the team trials, ranking series, the world cup, the cadet, junior & U23 continental and world championships, is pretty silly. 

if you say that's how you value the event then okay, i believe you, but to frame it as "flo charges $150 just to watch worlds" is insane to the point of being obviously wrong.

lucky for you though, archives for worlds will be available for free in like a week or so. so just have patience and you can save $150 and you won't miss a thing!

Since Flo is charging for access to this event perhaps Flo could do a better job of not running ads in the middle of potentially interesting matches (at least one Yasdani match that I was trying to watch) and could also not continue to repeat the same ads over and over and over and over and over and over again... If I'm paying I'd at least like to be able to watch the action live and not be served repetitive ads.  I feel like this critique is fair, no?

47 minutes ago, cu155 said:

Since Flo is charging for access to this event perhaps Flo could do a better job of not running ads in the middle of potentially interesting matches (at least one Yasdani match that I was trying to watch) and could also not continue to repeat the same ads over and over and over and over and over and over again... If I'm paying I'd at least like to be able to watch the action live and not be served repetitive ads.  I feel like this critique is fair, no?

100% fair and I encourage everyone who's viewing experience is negatively affected by ads running during action to let Flo know that they are screwing up. 

I have passed on many complaints, from this board and others sources. but sending comments directly through customer service works best. thanks.

5 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

you have it backwards. UWW WANTS to sell the "broadcast rights" to the event to every country in the world. it's not that UWW's "free broadcast" is being "blocked", it's that UWW hasn't found a broadcast partner for every country yet. so in those countries, UWW allows people to watch for free, in hopes of generating sufficient interest to take on a broadcast partner. producing and broadcasting the Worlds is very expensive, and doing it without partners paying for the media rights would be very bad for UWW, as they would lose lots of money on the event and have to do all the marketing and promotion themselves. 

the idea of selling media rights is a classic "scheme" employed by every successful sports event or league, including the NBA. 

also i'm sorry but the idea that you highly value watching Senior Worlds live but you don't value watching archives, watching films on the athletes that participate in worlds, reading and watching analysis of worlds, or watch any of the other events live that have athletes that will are already participate at the world championships, like the team trials, ranking series, the world cup, the cadet, junior & U23 continental and world championships, is pretty silly. 

if you say that's how you value the event then okay, i believe you, but to frame it as "flo charges $150 just to watch worlds" is insane to the point of being obviously wrong.

lucky for you though, archives for worlds will be available for free in like a week or so. so just have patience and you can save $150 and you won't miss a thing!

In order to watch worlds in the US live, you have to pay Flo $150. That’s factually true.  And it’s an absurdity.

Edited by Katie

5 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Thanks for the "advice".  I'll just look at it like I was born a week too early.

32 minutes ago, Katie said:

In order to watch worlds in the US live, you have to pay Flo $150. That’s factually true.  And it’s an absurdity.

sorry but that's really kind of on you for not valuing the other live events and content you get with a flo subscription. 

2 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

sorry but that's really kind of on you for not valuing the other live events and content you get with a flo subscription. 

Flo made a business decision.  I’m making a decision as a consumer.  Other consumers will do likewise.  It’s kind of how it works.  Nevertheless, my opinion on the matter is my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Katie said:

Flo made a business decision.  I’m making a decision as a consumer.  Other consumers will do likewise.  It’s kind of how it works.  Nevertheless, my opinion on the matter is my opinion. 

of course, a Flo sub is not worth it to you. totally cool. but to say that the $150 is just for Worlds is wrong. it's a bundle of content. just like if you have to pay for an entire cable package even if you only want to watch one single event that's on ESPN.

also want to reiterate that you are saying you value watching the World Championships live but you don't value at all watching the World Team Trials or the Ranking series or World Cup live. that's kind of suspect.