spladle08

Worlds Day 2 57/65/79/92kg

Today was Spectacular but expected mostly (I was on the fence with Fix)

We have 3 semifinalist, should have 2 locked finalist, Fix up in there air, and we knew Gwiz had a rough situation.

Will tomorrow go even better ?

57kg. Gilman opens with the "toughest" guy (besides him) on his half, if Olympic Gilman shows up and he wins that, he's a finalist.

65kg Yainni takes the spot of Gwiz today. Gwiz had almost no chance of advancing, Yainni has a coinflips chance of making the semis. I don't expect the world here but this is where we can get a pleasant surprise.

79kg We all expect the world of JB, I'm slightly concerned about the size of Valiev but overall should be a finalist .

92kg. It's just the Cox show, similar to Dake and Taylor .

I really expect 3 finalist but 2 will suffice from this group, 4 I'll ignore the lack of depth at 65kg and start pretending like we are finalist for the entire next cycle.

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Everyone will be awake at 4:30eastern right?
I was surprised this morning

I was awake for it, only to find out it was only available through an annual Flo subscription.  I will be looking into the VPN route and will utilize that until someone offers a pay-per-view which I would be happy to shell out for.  I have zero interest in the other things that come with the flo subscription so the annual membership makes no sense (even as a birthday present...)

I was awake for it, only to find out it was only available through an annual Flo subscription.  I will be looking into the VPN route and will utilize that until someone offers a pay-per-view which I would be happy to shell out for.  I have zero interest in the other things that come with the flo subscription so the annual membership makes no sense (even as a birthday present...)
Vpn is the way to go when you need to

27 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Don't spoon feed 'em.

No kidding.  I'm not jumping through hoops for their lack of options.  Easy enough to circumvent and if Flo cares enough to address the lack of options, they will attract more custom (including mine). Basic free market mechanics at work. 

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Pretty sure Flo has monthy, think you just sign up then cancel after you desired number of months.

As far as I can recall, the Flo site says there is a $150 fee up front.  Whether Flo decides to allow you to cancel early and get a prorated refund is not a published policy, as far as I know.

I definitely will not pay $150 to watch worlds — which I believe is *free* in almost every other country — and it seems like others are of the same mind. 

Edited by Katie

I wonder what the process behind these no hope countries and sending someone to worlds is. Do the coaches have to beg the national federation that their guy has a chance to medal and to fund it?  

10 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Lol I've always been like "cool we have a girl that chimes in all the time" , then somebody said, "@Katie is a guy just using a girl's name to get more interactions" and while it's a proven technique, everytime I see Katie, I'm like, "this dude's trippin"

Yes, I’m a dude. What can I say. 

I wonder what the process behind these no hope countries and sending someone to worlds is. Do the coaches have to beg the national federation that their guy has a chance to medal and to fund it?  
I've always wondered about the funding situations for other countries, especially the very poor, non successful wrestling ones.

We waste 50k+ sending a Greco team without expectations of making the podium but we're the USA.... Some of those countries... Hmmmm

Just now, spladle08 said:

I've always wondered about the funding situations for other countries, especially the very poor, non successful wrestling ones.

We waste 50k+ sending a Greco team without expectations of making the podium but we're the USA.... Some of those countries... Hmmmm

Even mediocre FS wrestling countries like Poland and Hungary don't send a rep to every weight. 

Must be a lot of backroom politics and hassling to secure funds for these athletes. Its so alien to think about as US fan wrestling fan where you qualify, you go 

13 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Even mediocre FS wrestling countries like Poland and Hungary don't send a rep to every weight. 

Must be a lot of backroom politics and hassling to secure funds for these athletes. Its so alien to think about as US fan wrestling fan where you qualify, you go 

Italy is sending Colin Realbuto, who was a backup for Cornell.