spladle08

Worlds Day 2 57/65/79/92kg

8 minutes ago, NJDan said:

OK, why is 86 always harder? Is Yaz clearly better than Sidakov? Is he better than JB, who Dake has beaten and who DT has never beaten. And many do diminish Dake's victoy by saying that Sidakov was not there or that 79 is non-Olympic trash.

How's your reading comprehension? 

This is what I said:

I don't think it's controversial at all to say that winning the title at 86kg this year was harder than winning the title at 74kg while at the same time not dimishing Dake's victory. 

And for what it's worth I'd place Sidakov ahead of Yazdani at the moment. 74kg is a deeper weight class than 86kg even if 86kg has two top guys. Sidakov has gone through a gauntlet the last four years and is probably up there with anyone after Sadulaev in the P4P rankings IMO.

Edited by wamba

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

OK, why is 86 always harder? Is Yaz clearly better than Sidakov? Is he better than JB, who Dake has beaten and who DT has never beaten. And many do diminish Dake's victoy by saying that Sidakov was not there or that 79 is non-Olympic trash.

I think both Dake and Taylor have had tremendous international careers. Dake has three world titles and an Olympic Bronze medal. Taylor has a world title and world silver, and an Olympic Gold medal.  And they both did it despite having a major domestic roadblock ahead of them in JB.  I think 74kg is deeper than 86kg, which right now is a two man show. But a win against Yardanzi is still a major accomplishment. Winning a WT is always hard. Guys will pull out all the stops, have scouted each other to death and there are plenty of talented competitors out there who can have their day.   

32 minutes ago, wamba said:

How's your reading comprehension? 

This is what I said:

And for what it's worth I'd place Sidakov ahead of Yazdani at the moment. 74kg is a deeper weight class than 86kg even if 86kg has two top guys. Sidakov has gone through a gauntlet the last four years and is probably up there with anyone after Sadulaev in the P4P rankings IMO.

But I wasn't talking about you.

15 hours ago, flyingcement said:

He was talking specifically about making it difficult to buy one event.  Context matters.  Pay attention.

Buying one event isn't an option. The only option Flo offers is an annual subscription. That is a fact.

Trying to weasel your way around it by buying a subscription and cancelling it is like buying a giant TV for the Superbowl and returning it the next day. People do it, but it's a dick move.

Facts matter - pay attention.

1 minute ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Buying one event isn't an option. The only option Flo offers is an annual subscription. That is a fact.

Trying to weasel your way around it by buying a subscription and cancelling it is like buying a giant TV for the Superbowl and returning it the next day. People do it, but it's a dick move.

Facts matter - pay attention.

That fact - (the lack of option) is a failure on their part and they will suffer until they address it.  No amount of your precious tears can change that.  It's not anyone else's responsibility but Flo's to fix their business model.  I suspect they will continue their downward trajectory if they ignore these sorts of things.  

25 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

That fact - (the lack of option) is a failure on their part and they will suffer until they address it.  No amount of your precious tears can change that.  It's not anyone else's responsibility but Flo's to fix their business model.  I suspect they will continue their downward trajectory if they ignore these sorts of things.  

You forget - ionel was the one crying about it, not me.

Personally, I would like to see a month-to-month option added back. But I'm not going to whine about it.

You can cry 'failure' all you want - but at the end of the day, its their company & their rules.

3 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

You forget - ionel was the one crying about it, not me.

Personally, I would like to see a month-to-month option added back. But I'm not going to whine about it.

You can cry 'failure' all you want - but at the end of the day, its their company & their rules.

Last I checked, the company as a whole was doing quite well.

33 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I can understand the issue, but it's a pervasive issue. When a network sells its feed to a cable service, it sells the entire service, not specific programs. When a consumer orders a cable package, they have some choice (certain premium channels of not) but they cannot order a la carte. There are some exceptions-- you can buy one movie on demand and not others and pay-per-view. But for the most part you buy a package, not a program. Flo does the same thing.

22 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I was awake for it, only to find out it was only available through an annual Flo subscription.  I will be looking into the VPN route and will utilize that until someone offers a pay-per-view which I would be happy to shell out for.  I have zero interest in the other things that come with the flo subscription so the annual membership makes no sense (even as a birthday present...)

Exactly.  Kinda like having to buy the buffet when all you want is the macaroni salad.

Taylor shed a couple years on the podium and Yaz was pure class. GIVE ME ALL THE NLWC TEARS YESSSSSS OH YESSSSS IT IS SO BITTERSWEET AND DELICIOUS
image.jpeg.8a8dd26719b5aa86d054b064d0cd6035.jpeg

I missed the awards ceremony. I was flying back from the Netherlands on my vpn. Did he really tear up?

11 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I can understand the issue, but it's a pervasive issue. When a network sells its feed to a cable service, it sells the entire service, not specific programs. When a consumer orders a cable package, they have some choice (certain premium channels of not) but they cannot order a la carte. There are some exceptions-- you can buy one movie on demand and not others and pay-per-view. But for the most part you buy a package, not a program. Flo does the same thing.

The programming most similar to UWW worlds, I think, are major boxing and MMA cards.  I have never watched boxing, but I watched UFC cards until that company decided to put all their undercards on a subscription service.  Then I bounced.

The UFC made a business decision, and I made a decision as a consumer. Simple. 

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

The programming most similar to UWW worlds, I think, are major boxing and MMA cards.  I have never watched boxing, but I watched UFC cards until that company decided to put all their undercards on a subscription service.  Then I bounced.

The UFC made a business decision, and I made a decision as a consumer. Simple. 

Aren't a lot of UFC events on ESPN and other channels? I don't watch them, but I have seen them on.

32 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Aren't a lot of UFC events on ESPN and other channels? I don't watch them, but I have seen them on.

IIRC, they decided to put all undercards on a subscription service, smaller main cards on ESPN or something, and major main cards on PPV.  Anyway, I genuinely don’t care about MMA anymore. 

Edited by Katie

Yazdani v Taylor is a cool rivalry. 

It fits the natural talent going up against hard worker archetype really well. Their first matches even have a nice Tortoise and the Hare theme going on to tie in with that.  

1 hour ago, headshuck said:

I missed the awards ceremony. I was flying back from the Netherlands on my vpn. Did he really tear up?

Oh yes he did. But I see a pissed off DT wrecking worlds next year. I feel sorry for whoever has to go against him the next time he steps in the room and even worse whoever faces him in any televised match.

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Yaz won the 74 Olympic bracket that had prime JB. Worlds this year is a trap-game. Do Taylor and Yaz split? Is Yaz a 4 time champ or only 3 time? This is the great forum debate and I am personally of the variety that Olympic weights don’t tell the true story because 10kg/20lb is WAY too much for a talent difference, but this year’s worlds are bogus.

I've loved watching Petriashvilli, the dude's all class.  Looked worn out vs Zare.  Geno was never able to get to his wicked gut that kept him in the mix with Gable.  Hats off to Zare.  

Watched a replay of the place bouts day 2. I thought I saw when Yazdani took DT down and it looked like he was going to try a gut- the IRI coach signal to not try it.

Also, at 125 Gold- do you think the refs held off calling MGL for fleeing the hold like in Rio in the last few seconds?

3 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Watched a replay of the place bouts day 2. I thought I saw when Yazdani took DT down and it looked like he was going to try a gut- the IRI coach signal to not try it.

That’s correct. DT is dangerous with stepovers as a gut defense. It was the right advice at that point in the match. 

1 minute ago, simple said:

Not well enough to offer monthly subscriptions or pay per event apparently 

If they change from annual-only, expect them to go with the 'magazine' pricing model:

It's old-school, but it was always something like $12/yr for 12 monthly issues - or $5 per issue. And a $10/yr with an auto-renewing subscription.

They make the annual pricing so attractive, and the monthly so unattractive, that they essentially strong arm you into the obvious better-value choice.

MIcrosoft switched to this model for their cloud products roughly 4 yrs ago. Their stock has shot up like a rocket since then. Most cloud software vendors followed suit immediately.

I may be wrong, but I have little doubt that it's just a matter of time before Flo goes in this direction. (On the positive side, Flo isn't currently strong arming anyone. They offer the only product the intend to offer and aren't playing games with subscribers - that's something to consider. I'd prefer Flo's straight-up pricing vs price gouging for alternative options.)

4 hours ago, headshuck said:

Hope you had a safe landing.

There was some serious blinking going on, but he held composure.  I am sure a tough experience for him.

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

If they change from annual-only, expect them to go with the 'magazine' pricing model:

It's old-school, but it was always something like $12/yr for 12 monthly issues - or $5 per issue. And a $10/yr with an auto-renewing subscription.

They make the annual pricing so attractive, and the monthly so unattractive, that they essentially strong arm you into the obvious better-value choice.

MIcrosoft switched to this model for their cloud products roughly 4 yrs ago. Their stock has shot up like a rocket since then. Most cloud software vendors followed suit immediately.

I may be wrong, but I have little doubt that it's just a matter of time before Flo goes in this direction. (On the positive side, Flo isn't currently strong arming anyone. They offer the only product the intend to offer and aren't playing games with subscribers - that's something to consider. I'd prefer Flo's straight-up pricing vs price gouging for alternative options.)

Maybe they should score a deal where they have middle schoolers going door to door selling Flo subscriptions