spladle08

Worlds Day 2 57/65/79/92kg

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Flo’s product ops is absolute shyte. If Rokfin gets it together then dark days are ahead in Austin. Hopefully egos get out of the way.

Rokfin seems to be have less wrestling content (NLWC hasn't had a video for 3 months) and more political (covid/vaxine/etc) content now.  It also seems to be Martin's primary interest based on his twitter and makes subscribing impossible for those of us who want to support the sport without supporting his wacko politics.  I wish Willie, whose content is outstanding, could get backing to just start his own platform to directly compete with Flo and keep it wrestling only.  Maybe Intermat could move into streaming events. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

7 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I wouldn't bet on Rokfin getting anything together - but if you are, good luck with that.

One things for sure, the future of wrestling has nothing to do with Flo unless they change course entirely.  Whether the market leader becomes rokfin or another service depends on which company provides the most value to their customers.  Flo's current practices are bad for the sport and demonstrate poor business awareness.  Those lining up to lick boots should think twice about what impact they intend to have on the sport.  

5 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

One things for sure, the future of wrestling has nothing to do with Flo unless they change course entirely.  Whether the market leader becomes rokfin or another service depends on which company provides the most value to their customers.  Flo's current practices are bad for the sport and demonstrate poor business awareness.  Those lining up to lick boots should think twice about what impact they intend to have on the sport.  

I disagree.  Flo, or a company that acquires flo, will be part of the future of the sport.  They are too entrenched.  The question is whether a competitor can come along. I agree that Rokfin isn't the answer though.  The entire problem with Flo (IMO) is they went from a wrestling focused platform to focusing more on expanding all their other verticals.  The result was weaker content for wrestling and alienating their best employees like Willie. Rokfin has now created that same issue with pushing political crap and being obsessed with crypto. I would love to see another wrestling-focused platform come along to  compete with Flo, but Flo is here to stay.  

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

I disagree.  Flo, or a company that acquires flo, will be part of the future of the sport.  They are too entrenched.  The question is whether a competitor can come along. I agree that Rokfin isn't the answer though.  The entire problem with Flo (IMO) is they went from a wrestling focused platform to focusing more on expanding all their other verticals.  The result was weaker content for wrestling and alienating their best employees like Willie. Rokfin has now created that same issue with pushing political crap and being obsessed with crypto. I would love to see another wrestling-focused platform come along to  compete with Flo, but Flo is here to stay.  

Been an investor for far too long to believe that can be true.  This is a market ripe for disruption. I know a couple key investors at Causeway are already starting to have doubts about Flo and are considering allocating some of their portfolio to some of Flo's broader market competitors.  It isn't looking pretty from the inside.  

Just now, flyingcement said:

Been an investor for far too long to believe that can be true.  This is a market ripe for disruption. I know a couple key investors at Causeway are already starting to have doubts about Flo and are considering allocating some of their portfolio to some of Flo's broader market competitors.  It isn't looking pretty from the inside.  

Don't they have the rights to key events like WTT and worlds for a number of years moving forward? From an investment standpoint, I could definitely see the company crashing and getting acquired, but I think the company itself will be around (even if the investors lose their money). 

This German 57kg - Lehr - is the real deal.  Doesn’t even have a Russian last name.  Winning 2-0 vs Russian - Mutaliev for bronze … going into 2nd period.

Goes in .. big scramble.  Nothing.  Wow.

Mutaliev gets a go behind now.  To a lace.  Lays on own back for a while trying to get a turn.  Lehr does not go over.  Given all sorts of time to try again.  Nope.  Has a bloody nose.  Blood timeS

Lehr in again!  Trouble.  But he holds leg …. Wow gets it!  

Russian goes in.  Lehr grabs leg.  Gets TD!  6-2.

Russian TD.  Gets up  and off.  Doesn’t even try.  Ref blows whistle.  Restart. 

Lehr wins 6-4!  Wow!

Edited by nom

So the Russian got TD and then stood up and walked away without there being a whistle.  No penalty?  Announcer says that is allowed now.  Is it?  Ref did talk to him.  But no caution or passivity point.

Edited by nom

1 minute ago, Shiraz123 said:

Gable - Petriashvili

Gable sat up.  Yes.  He didn’t hop up and walk away.  I recall folks thinking Gable got lucky with the ref.  From what I just saw he did not get lucky.  It is now ok to do.  Fair?

4 minutes ago, nom said:

Gable sat up.  Yes.  He didn’t hop up and walk away.  I recall folks thinking Gable got lucky with the ref.  From what I just saw he did not get lucky.  It is now ok to do.  Fair?

I think it's a good rule. You shouldn't be forced to lay on the guy for a few seconds after every takedown if you have no intention of trying to turn.

2 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I think it's a good rule. You shouldn't be forced to lay on the guy for a few seconds after every takedown if you have no intention of trying to turn.

I agree @Shiraz123@gimpeltf - thanks.  I wonder if they will start enforcing some time to tick off after a TD regardless of what the wrestlers do.  I hope not.  I do prefer the option to just letting the guy up.

Gilman vs Sarlak (Iran) - for Gold!

Big gilman snap.  Hard on head.  Another snap down.  Another.  Ref stops .. not chippy.  Hmm.  Wonder what that was.  Gilman pushing in.  Sarlak whips him around. Now G with back to edge.  Passive Iran.  Gilman on edge.  Turns in.  Gilman lowers and reaches.  Nothing.  Iran on clock.  Gilman left underhook.  Iran pulls arm out.  1-0 Gilman on shot clock point.

Gilman has leg.  Near edge.  Gets the two after a few seconds.  Wanted the 2 and not the 1.  Nice.  Slick Gilman.  Nice TD.  Love it.  Announcers giving credit to setups and head snaps that led to that single leg shot.

--- per posts above, can really hear these refs and all there directions / admonitions.  Amusing.  

2nd period.  3--0.  Sarlak working underhook.  Gilman shoots.  Nothing.  Both near center.  Gilman controling it just a bit better.  Gilman shot.  Has leg.  whizzer.  Sarlak hips in.  Gilman having issues.  But holding leg.  Oi ... this is hard.  Gets Iran down to mat while threatening a step out.  Gilman jumps on.  2!  5-0 with 1 min left.  Will be surprised if Gilman shoots again.  His arms are likely tired.  

Duck under Sarlak!   Ref wants to Give causiton and 1 to Iran for not opening up by Gilman.    Not given.  No turn.  Restart.  Pushout.  5-3 ... 6 sec to gol  Gilman wins!!  Wow!

GOLD MEDAL THOMAS GILMAN!!!!

Edited by nom