spladle08

Worlds Day 2 57/65/79/92kg

Just now, Jrr277 said:

Why did that ref try and hit Gilman with caution and one when he was on bottom?

When folks say it is US against the world, they in fact mean U.S. and not 'us' against the world.  These refs are so anti-US it's ridiculous.

What is funny, is that yesterday I saw for the first time to my memory of matches watched (which is a lot, but nowhere near all of them) that a wrestler other than a US wrestler got put on the clock twice in one match.  Even when we are pushing the pace, we somehow go on the clock twice.

1 minute ago, Jrr277 said:

Why did that ref try and hit Gilman with caution and one when he was on bottom?

From what I saw, she wanted him to not hand fight.  Wanted him to open up and allow the Iranian to more easily get a lock.  One of the stupider things I see in freestyle wrestling.

1 minute ago, nom said:

From what I saw, she wanted him to not hand fight.  Wanted him to open up and allow the Iranian to more easily get a lock.  One of the stupider things I see in freestyle wrestling.

You aren’t supposed to fight the hands from bottom. I agree it’s stupid but it is what it is. You rarely see other countries do it but it’s part of that folk style mindset.

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

When folks say it is US against the world, they in fact mean U.S. and not 'us' against the world.  These refs are so anti-US it's ridiculous.

What is funny, is that yesterday I saw for the first time to my memory of matches watched (which is a lot, but nowhere near all of them) that a wrestler other than a US wrestler got put on the clock twice in one match.  Even when we are pushing the pace, we somehow go on the clock twice.

Behave. DT did not even attempt an attack until around 4 mins into yesterday's final (and was controlled throughout) and somehow did not get put on the shot clock.

Same for Cox against Ghasempour. Actually, Ghasempour was the one that got put on the shot clock which is hilarious. 

These refs are so pro-US it's ridiculous. 

Edited by The Genius

I find the cultural norms that drive names to be similar yet distinct to be very curious.  And then throw in translations to roman letters ... Russians often have names that end in sky but Polish have ski ... must be an interesting history there.

Osmonov wins Bronze at 65.  Pretty relaxed .. not big celebrations with coaches.  Slight smiles.  I expected a bit more joy.   Bronze at WC is a big deal!  Fair to think Osmonov was expecting gold?

Edited by nom

Tumur Ochir (MGL) with arm spin for 4!  4-0 vs Rohit of India.  

I root for Mongolian guys.  I also root for Indian guys.  Hmmm.  I'm leaning Tumur here.  

Good hand fighting.  Some threats.  Good D.  

Rohit goes in ... has Tumur in quad pod and tries crotch lift kind of turn .. but Tumur hops over him?  Huh, and is able to knock Rohit back and expose back.  Wow.  That was amazing.  6-0 Tumur.

Rohit with TD now in 2nd.  6-2.  Rohit fought Shakiev to a 5-4 loss.  Tumur lost to Shakiev 4-4 on criteria.  Tumur knocked off the guy that beat Yianni.

Rohit driving Tumur to edge.  Tumur tries a fake headlock .. asking for a slip.  Bull****.  Ref calls slip.  Other judges say no .. 2 points.  I agree.  6-4 Tumur still winning.  40 sec to go.  

Tumur near edge.  Circles.  India driving ...   And then over under throw by Tumur!!  Right to Rohits back.  Fall!!

Bronze for Mongolia.  And these guys are happy!  :)

Edited by nom

For gold -- Shakhiev (Russia or its penalty name) vs Little Yaz.  Yaz drives him out but grounded.  

THIS IS A FREAKING CRAZY SCRAMBLE .. needs a big review.  Gave all those points to Shakhiev.  Needs to be watched!!  What the hell.  Shakhiev has a lace and is turning him.

What the hell.  Tech Russia!

Yaz gets a turn and then it goes flip flop flip flop flip flop .. woah.  No challenge thrown.  They let it go.  Smart.  

Could see him listening to the announcer (Jason Bryant?) .. soaking it in.   Has the belt.  Deep breath.  Hand on heart.  Singing the anthem.  A memory for his entire life.  A beautiful thing.     

79 kg bronze - Valiev (Rus) vs Yoshida (japan)

Valiev goes in and gets quick TD.  And another.  and a gut.  ... no point for that turn.  huh.  He turned .. but perhaps didn't place a hand down?  Yoshida threatened a step over so bailed.  Hmm, I don't get it.  He broke 90 degrees.

4-0 only.  Another shot, another TD.  6-0 ..   This is not an even match ..  Yoshida does take a shot but Valiev basically clotheslines him to his back hard.   awarded 4.  Match over.  Challenge ... 

Edited by nom

Kentchadze (GEO) vs Avagyan (AMR)  79kg other bronze

threats initiated by Kent near edge, each spinning off edge.  Avagyan passive.  Kent on arm drag to butt slide between legs (love it, don't see it often!).  Kent well over legs, body locked but no 2 given.  Finally 2 given.  Freestyle waits far to long to give 2 in that position.  Lace.  Lace.  Lace.  And lace.  Done.  10-0.  Kentchadze with the Bronze.

Edited by nom