spladle08

Worlds Day 2 57/65/79/92kg

Kurbanov (Russia) vs Ghasempour (Iran) - 92kg gold medal match.

Kurbanov on clock.  Not much risk being taken at all.  Forehead to forehead.  Ghas gets 1 as Kurbanov lowers and goes in for 2.  2-1 Kurbanov.  Warned for interlocking fingers .. both of them.  Ref says next one is a caution.  Ghas fires to his right ... and gets it!  2!  3-2 Iran as period ends.  Big points at end of period.

2nd - head to head, pulling down.  Iran in again on russia left leg.  lifts and gets around for the 2!  5-2 Ghasempour.  Ghas generally looking better. Kur just took a slop shot (Ghas might have made it look slop).  But Ghas can't get behind.  1 min to go.  point to Ghas for a Kur club.  6-2.  Kur fires a double, whizzer situation.  Gets the 2 and is on top.  6-4 ...trying turn ... can't quite get it.  Tries again (gut) but Kurbanov steps over and holds him there!!  Gets 2!  8-4 ghasempour!

8 sec left.  Done.  Ghas wins gold!

Edited by nom

4 minutes ago, nom said:

Team score suggests we need Iran here.  .... or does it not matter?  Will Snyder need to beat Sad either way?

Without calculating Snyder's points I've got the US at 140. Snyder adds at least 20 to that. 

29 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

what makes it different than a gut? it's literally the same thing. nobody lets go of their lock on a gut either.

Two things, I think. With a gut, when you get back to your belly, you really can defend. The bottom guy can also step over. I don't think the same is true of a lace. Also, just as a practical matter, once there is a tight lace, it seems to end the match unless they go out of bounds.

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

Behave. DT did not even attempt an attack until around 4 mins into yesterday's final (and was controlled throughout) and somehow did not get put on the shot clock.

Same for Cox against Ghasempour. Actually, Ghasempour was the one that got put on the shot clock which is hilarious. 

These refs are so pro-US it's ridiculous. 

We'll have to agree to disagree and it is likely because we aren't looking at it from the same fan perspective... which I guess lends to it not being a bias system.

Okay so it is 163-160-150 right now?

If Iran gets Bronze in both and RWF wins, it ends up being:

RWF-IRAN-USA

If Russia wins bronze at 70 USA gets 2nd.

So we need Iran to get both bronze and Captain America to beat The Tank, correct?  The only scenario we win the team title?

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Two things, I think. With a gut, when you get back to your belly, you really can defend. The bottom guy can also step over. I don't think the same is true of a lace. Also, just as a practical matter, once there is a tight lace, it seems to end the match unless they go out of bounds.

Yeah a lace is a better move. It's like saying you should get more points for a super duck because it's harder to hit than a single leg. Or you should have to hold someone flat for 5 seconds in a cradle because it's easier to do than a claw or half.

32 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

RWF-IRAN-USA

So we need Iran to get both bronze and Captain America to beat The Tank, correct?  The only scenario we win the team title?

If Elahi (70kg) and Goleij both win Bronze and Sad beats Snyder Iran wins.

Russia need to win Bronze at 70kg and Sad to beat Snyder.

If Snyder beats Sadulaev, the US wins.

Edited by The Genius

Yeah a lace is a better move. It's like saying you should get more points for a super duck because it's harder to hit than a single leg. Or you should have to hold someone flat for 5 seconds in a cradle because it's easier to do than a claw or half.
Psssst

(Don't respond, let him convince somebody else to argue if water is wet)

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

RWF-IRAN-USA

If Russia loses at 70 but wins at 97 I think we would have a tie. 

On 10/3/2021 at 7:58 AM, spladle08 said:

I stand corrected.!!!!!!!

On another note I'm glad the semis and the finals run back to back . That's gonna be a solid 2 hours of excitement

No Biggy....it's all good!!!