spladle08

Worlds Day 2 57/65/79/92kg

16 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Nope. We are done with this. It’s a new quad time to move on and not complain about 70 keggers.

16 minutes ago, maligned said:

Yeah, that's the thing. We always think, "if only (insert name of my guy) were there at 65, we'd have a shot."  Bottom line is that it remains a really challenging weight to medal. Announcers yesterday were saying 74 is clearly the deepest. That's just not true. It's perhaps the deepest domestically--but not internationally. Every single guy is a challenge from 20 countries at 65. It's such a minefield of high-level guys.

I think you both missed the joke...

Great showing by JB. Honestly, his work rate at 79 looks like JB circa 2012. He was unbeatable then because he could and did attack the legs any time he wanted. He won't be as successful in his scoring rate as a shorter 79, but he looks so energized.

Edited by maligned

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

I think you both missed the joke...

I thought you were trolling everyone who blamed Zain for the olympic failure. I was agreeing with you by recognizing that it's a super difficult weight with landmines everywhere in the world. If that wasn't your joke, you're right that I missed it.

Valiev ran out of fuel quick fast.
Glad to see JB get it done.
Unfortunate for Yainni D.
Teveyan also likely not to medal Shakheiv got his groove back after a testy first match.

Back to America .

Gilman and JB have favorable matchups
J'den does not but I assume be still wins

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Oh 100%

It also looks like it always does, he must be strongest little dude.

He's wrestling with confidence, clearly looks good physically, just handled his tough match with ease, and his side of the bracket is very light....

I can't see this version of Gilman not making the finals.

I genuinely expect him to beat Atli.

Gable has already proclaimed Jesse Whitmer as "the strongest man in the world!"

2019-jessie-whitmer-02-600x490.jpg

2 minutes ago, maligned said:

I thought you were trolling everyone who blamed Zain for the olympic failure. I was agreeing with you by recognizing that it's a super difficult weight with landmines everywhere in the world. If that wasn't your joke, you're right that I missed it.

Oh I was.  It was funny.

I also blame the wrestler who takes the mat and loses at the time of losing, not entirely place it on past folks who failed.

Jonny D will be back.  It is his first worlds.  He is very young.

Gilman is the improved US wrestler of the past year, by far. The Uguev match from Tokyo was a clear indicator.
I think the rest of his performance (including today) is more of an indicator.

Obviously a win over Uguev would've been clutch, but he started that tournament extremely poorly. Against Gilly and the second round guy Uzbekistan maybe? I think he won his next 2 looking a bit better but I think his semis match was a struggle for a good portion of it .

I agree Gilman is better than ever , but I dont think that was our clear indicator

38 minutes ago, fullnelson said:

Gilman is the improved US wrestler of the past year, by far. The Uguev match from Tokyo was a clear indicator.

Although it might be entirely down to changing weights, Daton's looking better than I've ever seen him look at 57.  Contrasting his current form vs. the guy that lost to Takahashi or the Chinese 57 and it's a bit mind boggling.

That said, he's been at ~61kg for his college career to date, and hasn't looked this good, so maybe there's more to it.

Just now, spladle08 said:

That's clearly the right answer :)

Everyone who we thought could be a finalist is rolling over the competition like it's the Pan-Ams.

(The guys we knew would struggle struggled)

That’s a good summary and I love the Pan Am comparison. It’s no fun, though. 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Oh I was.  It was funny.

I also blame the wrestler who takes the mat and loses at the time of losing, not entirely place it on past folks who failed.

Jonny D will be back.  It is his first worlds.  He is very young.

He is 22.

Although it might be entirely down to changing weights, Daton's looking better than I've ever seen him look at 57.  Contrasting his current form vs. the guy that lost to Takahashi or the Chinese 57 and it's a bit mind boggling.

That said, he's been at ~61kg for his college career to date, and hasn't looked this good, so maybe there's more to it.

Just looks like he believes he can win and they can't. So confident in his attacks.

I hope he stays this aggressive with the pressure of the finals... And clearly a serious opponent.