Frank_Rizzo

The Worlds are watered down this year

10 minutes ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

No use in denying it.  Too many top guys missing.  

It is still a World Championship regardless of who chose not to go.  The amount it is "watered down" depends a lot on the particular weight you are talking about.  86 kg, 97 kg & 125 kg are very tough and most of the non-Olympic weights are comparable to an average year.  57kg 74kg & 65 kg are missing some pretty key guys but you can only wrestle the guys that bother to show up.

Edited by lu1979

No use in denying it.  Too many top guys missing.  
Hey Frank long time no see thanks for the knowledge.

I don't think anyone has made a claim that the top guys are actually there using secret names.

We all acknowledge it's depleted however we're still going to cheer for the USA

Only true for 74 kg, 57 kg and especially 65 kg, but other weights are what you expect them to be in a "normal" year of Worlds.
You're right it really only is significant at those 3.
However 3 out of 10 weights is pretty significant and 3 Olympic weights that are usually stacked with talent ..... I think that's what adds to the problem.

Some weights are stacked and others are weak. Not sure why 3 out of the 4 top guys did not show up at 74kg. Olympic year or not it's the World Championships. But that was their choice. 

Some weights are stacked and others are weak. Not sure why 3 out of the 4 top guys did not show up at 74kg. Olympic year or not it's the World Championships. But that was their choice. 
Lol like 6 of the top 6 guys didn't show up at 65kg (I could easily look up the actual number but Rashidov, Otoguro, Aliyev, Musakajev, Bajrang, Tobier, etc...)
Obviously 57kg is light several guys including Uguev and my dear sweet Ravi.

Anyways they just aren't here but hopefully USA takes advantage and shows out

On the other hand, we had decades worth of World Championships where many of the nations we now considered strong in wrestling, perhaps the majority, were all competing for the USSR and  collectively sending one representative.  And there were 10 weights every year.  A World Championship is a World Championship (with the possible exception of the one Steiber won, as it was in an Olympic year with all non-Olympic wrestlers).  Part of a Championship is showing up and earning it.

Edited by WRfan1

7 minutes ago, WRfan1 said:

On the other hand, we had decades worth of World Championships where many of the nations we now considered strong in wrestling, perhaps the majority, were all competing for the USSR and  collectively sending one representative.  And there were 10 weights every year.  A World Championship is a World Championship (with the possible exception of the one Steiner won, as it was in an Olympic year with all non-Olympic wrestlers).  Part of a Championship is showing up and earning it.

Is that Troy or Terry you are referring to? :)   I mean lots of people misspell the name but at least get close.

8 minutes ago, WRfan1 said:

On the other hand, we had decades worth of World Championships where many of the nations we now considered strong in wrestling, perhaps the majority, were all competing for the USSR and  collectively sending one representative.  And there were 10 weights every year.  A World Championship is a World Championship (with the possible exception of the one Steiner won, as it was in an Olympic year with all non-Olympic wrestlers).  Part of a Championship is showing up and earning it.

Neither Steiner ever won a World title.

2 things, number one I’m not so sure this is watered down. I think you are going to see some of these guys be the breakout stars over this next cycle.

also, ten years ago our team couldn’t beat Russia’s 3rd string, so I am very excited about the current results. 

5 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Lol like 6 of the top 6 guys didn't show up at 65kg (I could easily look up the actual number but Rashidov, Otoguro, Aliyev, Musakajev, Bajrang, Tobier, etc...)
Obviously 57kg is light several guys including Uguev and my dear sweet Ravi.

Anyways they just aren't here but hopefully USA takes advantage and shows out

What's to LoL at. You find your own laziness comical. I guess that is LoL.

What's to LoL at. You find your own laziness comical. I guess that is LoL.
The ultimate troll.
(Assuming you're serious cause I have no idea at this point, I'm LOL'ing singling out 74kg when 65kg is the most diluted in the tournament)

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

The ultimate troll.
(Assuming you're serious cause I have no idea at this point, I'm LOL'ing singling out 74kg when 65kg is the most diluted in the tournament)

I am LoLing at the fact that you use an expression native to teenage girls. But, I guess, for you, that's pretty good.