BigTimeFan

This is a 1/3 real world championship

A while ago I asked the question, will this be a real world championship? We were all optimistic that it would be but in fact I’d say it’s only about 1/3rd so. Here’s how I see it. 

From the USA perspective there’s only three stacked weight classes, meaning ones that offer a similar level of competition as any other world championship. Those are 86kg, 97kg and 125kg. Yes Gable isn’t there but if he had gone it would have been more or less Tokyo redux. These days 86kg is all about two guys and this is also so for 97kg, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent. 

Meanwhile the rest of the brackets are thin. Every time a US athlete is up they’re wrestling a former bronze medalist in the Junior Worlds of U23 silver medalist or some such thing. I would love to be a former Jr world bronze but that’s not the usual way it goes: 74kg in Tokyo had at least  multi-time world champs. Now it’s just Dake (or did I miss one?), as an example. 

I’d love to be wrong here, folks. 

3 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

A while ago I asked the question, will this be a real world championship? We were all optimistic that it would be but in fact I’d say it’s only about 1/3rd so. Here’s how I see it. 

From the USA perspective there’s only three stacked weight classes, meaning ones that offer a similar level of competition as any other world championship. Those are 86kg, 97kg and 125kg. Yes Gable isn’t there but if he had gone it would have been more or less Tokyo redux. These days 86kg is all about two guys and this is also so for 97kg, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent. 

Meanwhile the rest of the brackets are thin. Every time a US athlete is up they’re wrestling a former bronze medalist in the Junior Worlds of U23 silver medalist or some such thing. I would love to be a former Jr world bronze but that’s not the usual way it goes: 74kg in Tokyo had at least  multi-time world champs. Now it’s just Dake (or did I miss one?), as an example. 

I’d love to be wrong here, folks. 

Lucky for you, you are wrong.

Iran snd US have their A teams

Russia had their B/C team plus Sadulaov

India , Georgia and Turkey has their A teams ,I think

Japan had their B/C team

i agree it’s somewhat diluted, but not nearly as much as the OP states

Diminishing a world title is petty. Yes, some weights didn't have the absolute best guys there. Some did. It's still a world championship that is never easy for anyone to win. If this worlds showed anything to me so far, it's how deep most weights are with relatively unknown guys who could knock anyone off. Yianni 2 and Q, Cox losing before the finals in a non-Olympic weight, Gwiz getting Stevesoned by a non-Steveson, DT losing ... Its a world championship. Maybe diluted relative to some years and maybe not relative to others. But is this really that important?

I mean, you can only beat the guys in front of you. There's also something to be said for showing up and being willing to put things on the line. If you don't show up you can't call yourself a world champ even if you are most likely the toughest guy in the world at that weight. 

Looking back on this year it's clear that some weights were thinned out a bit. But sometimes that's also the case at worlds due to injuries or other factors. 

I mean, you can only beat the guys in front of you. There's also something to be said for showing up and being willing to put things on the line. If you don't show up you can't call yourself a world champ even if you are most likely the toughest guy in the world at that weight. 
Looking back on this year it's clear that some weights were thinned out a bit. But sometimes that's also the case at worlds due to injuries or other factors. 
....any objective observer knows this year's Worlds is diluted. No question about it, but with Tailor losing, it turned into a glorious event.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, cjc007 said:

....any objective observer knows this year's Worlds is diluted. No question about it, but with Tailor losing, it turned into a glorious event.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It is curious who showed up and who didn't. You cannot say the Russians did not take it seriously if their biggest star Sadulaev made the trip. I think he is confident against Snyder and does not care who he is up against. I think Sidakov, unless there is a health issue, is a bit different. I think he and his coaches saw a potential matchup with Dake as dangerous and as a no win situation and chose to be elsewhere.  No reason to take the chance. 

Every championship is "diluted" by some guys being injured, other guys not making their national team by a fluke, recent retirements. This one is open to all comers . It's a world championship contested by those who make their national team and choose to attend. It's diluted like all others, but it remains a world championship.

3 hours ago, WRfan1 said:

All World Championships prior to the fall of the Soviet Union are diluted.

True.  I'd never say it to their faces, but the great USA wrestlers back in the day only had to face one Russian to win WC/Olympics and now there are brackets with like 5 guys from Dagestan in them.

9 hours ago, Perry said:

Yet we still couldn't get a medal at 65 or a team title. Some big names skipped, but it's still a phenomenal tournament. I guarantee Taylor doesn't think it is any weaker than the Olympics were.

The team title is still a very real possibility for the USA.  There is a lot of wrestling left.  Iran and Russia are also still in the mix.

12 hours ago, Perry said:

Yet we still couldn't get a medal at 65 or a team title. Some big names skipped, but it's still a phenomenal tournament. I guarantee Taylor doesn't think it is any weaker than the Olympics were.

If Russia sent all their top guys and a few other top guys showed up who aren't there, it would take less points to win. Who knows? The US may have been able to win a tougher worlds with fewer medals. It may actually be more difficult to win the current world championship because it takes a stronger team from top to bottom o score enough points.