nom

Am I a traitor? (Yazdani)

He's proven himself to be a class act despite some heartbreaking losses to DT and he continues to work to get better. Hard not to like him even if you want him to lose. The rivalry between the two is great and I hope it goes on for several more years.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I am obviously rooting for team USA, but if one of our stars has to go down, it's a little easier to swallow when it's to a great champ and warrior like HYC.  The Persian fanbase has great knowledge and respect for our wrestlers (it was heartwarming when they counted down the clock, IN ENGLISH, at the end of JB's semifinal match), and it is time we return the favor.  HYC is probably my favorite non-American wrestler.  No one comes harder with those underhooks!

There are probably 9343493943949 Instagram and Facebook posts on UWW and Flo from Iranian fans saying "King Yazdani".  Deservedly so.  Yazdani is great as is DT.  Most of their matches have been razor thin and the better guy won this time.  Props to DT for coming back so soon to face Yazdani again!

I can't help but love the Iranians. I find myself rooting as hard for them as our guys sometimes. You can feel how the fans live and die with their guys. I want us to win, but man will I also be happy if Iran is the one who beats us. Relentless pressure and effort.

"doot-do-do-doot-doot-doot I-RAN" is one of the greatest sounds in sports imo.

You would be hard-pressed to find many USA rivals that deserve to be disliked. Why would Yazdani be any different? He is amazing and if USA fans can’t appreciate his excellence then that is their loss.

8 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Very mixed emotions here... Bummed for DT... But happy for YC... Strangely, I'm happier for Iranians fans than I am for YC. 

Major props to DT for coming back after the Olympics just a couple of months later to give YC another shot.

I don't know that DT was "giving him another shot" so much as DT wants to cement his own legacy.  He's still "only" a one time world champ and one time Olympic champ.  He wants to stamp his name in the record books, and that takes volume given our storied history in the sport.

This is precisely how I felt in the 79 Kg final

I really wanted the young Nokhodi to win, but I was very happy for the great Joran Boroughs to get another gold and further cement his legacy

You cannot be a true wrestling fan if you don't appreciate and respect the skills and talents of your rivals

19 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

You would be hard-pressed to find many USA rivals that deserve to be disliked. 

Remember Jadidi? :)

There are plenty of rivals whose wrestling skills I respect, but cannot stand them because they act like a**holes

People like the late David Schultz, Big Bruce, and JB just naturally draw you into liking and respecting them

Just kidding.  I like Yazdanicharcuterie plenty.  He is easy to root for.  And unlike that sissy Steveson  at least DT showed up to wrestle.

Edited by Sstern