33 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Deserves its own thread. Congrats to our Iranian forum bros. I'm glad you guys relatively mailed it in at the Olympics, though!

They have their own thread. It's called Iranian Wrestling News, the most active thread on the forum.

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Zares's backflip  is a direct callout of Steveson.  Will Gable take the bait?  Oh I hope so.  

He beat Geno handily, whereas Stevenson had to pull something out of his #$# to get his win.  Simple math that Zare > Stevenson.

1 hour ago, D3 for LU said:

(...Simple math that Zare > Steveson           / not  Stevenson.)

In certain situations, the transitive property works.

But not always...

D3

That was not only a facetious comment, but also a direct call-out of Steveson to take the bait.

Backflips after crushing Geno + Plasmodium call-out = Steveson is coming back for one more.

54 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

omg can we set up some sort of cultural exchange program to get a section of iranians at ncaa's???

I don't think most of those fans travel from Iran for a given event. I believe most are those that left (or families of) before or around the revolution. I saw them in 76 and 83 and that's what I was told there.

Good for the Iranian people. On the Flo broadcast today, Ben Askren was accusing the Iranian team of using peds.  Whenever we lose, someone makes this accusation.  Sad since the one thing we know is a member of our team recently was suspended for testing positive.  

I was wondering why Iran has been able to turn things around so dramatically in these past eight weeks. Was it because the rest of the world is suffering from an Olympics hangover? Or did Iran use these eight weeks to get things fixed and get their team peaking at the right time? 

I was wondering why Iran has been able to turn things around so dramatically in these past eight weeks. Was it because the rest of the world is suffering from an Olympics hangover? Or did Iran use these eight weeks to get things fixed and get their team peaking at the right time? 

I think the latter. They got 5-7 days of rest after olympics. New coach brought new perspective. Fixed a lot of small issues.

4 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

Iran's Fan presence is second to none. They would even be an energy boost at NCAA's.

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I don't think most of those fans travel from Iran for a given event. I believe most are those that left (or families of) before or around the revolution. I saw them in 76 and 83 and that's what I was told there.

Good stuff, I'm glad they're there! I know several Iranians, and I appreciate both their national pride and their dissent. 

On 10/5/2021 at 1:05 AM, Maximus Meridius said:

Good for the Iranian people. On the Flo broadcast today, Ben Askren was accusing the Iranian team of using peds.  Whenever we lose, someone makes this accusation.  Sad since the one thing we know is a member of our team recently was suspended for testing positive.  

To be fair to Ben, he probably has very bad CTE for suffering the quickest KO in UFC (MMA?) history then getting knocked out by a Disney star. 

On 10/5/2021 at 3:22 AM, de4856 said:

It's not really as drastic as it looks. Yazdani was beating DT 3-2 until the TD in the last 10 seconds in Tokyo so it was obvious on his day he could win. Ghasempour hasn't had the chance to attend many international tournaments since he has been stuck behind Yazdani at 86kg but Iranians always knew he was excellent. Zare beat Geno before the Olympics and was dominating Geno in Tokyo in the first period until he uncharacteristically gassed and Geno took over.

The other medals are mostly because of weak weights and lucky draws, although it was a very young team for Iran with multiple 2021 Junior champions, so they did very well but lost when we expected them to.

On 10/4/2021 at 8:45 AM, Plasmodium said:

He beat Geno handily, whereas Stevenson had to pull something out of his #$# to get his win.  Simple math that Zare > Stevenson.

Parris pinned Zare and Steveson sonned Parris.  Simple match that Steveson is Zare's daddy.

I jest.  Zare is scary looking.