mspart

Thomas Gilman - World Champion

Perhaps, but they raised him up and gave him the tools to work with.   They should be happy to have had a hand in this and proud of their wrestler.

Now I'm not a rabid Gilman fan, but he's been at it for so long, it is nice to see him rise to the occasion. 

mspart

1 hour ago, headshuck said:

Must be some grumbling back in Iowa that NLWC gets credit for Thomas Gilman now.

I hereby ofically allocate some of the developmental credit to Iowa - the Hawkeyes and the state.  A lot of reason for them to be proud - as all American wrestling fans should be of this gritty and persistent competitor.

Uguev is beatable, barely beat Gilman in Tokyo and had an even closer match in the semis when it looked like Gilman was out. (hits inside trip with less than 10 sec to pull it out).

When you when a World title it can't help but increase one's confidence. Gilman IS the bad draw now.

I thought everybody hated Gilman for his ethnic slur in regards to a competitor from Japan?

Or was that just some liberal nonsense?

Remember when Nico beat him?

Congrats to Gilman. Our most hated wrestler and now World Champion.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

I thought everybody hated Gilman for his ethnic slur in regards to a competitor from Japan?

Or was that just some liberal nonsense?

Remember when Nico beat him?

Congrats to Gilman. Our most hated wrestler and now World Champion.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I’ve come to love Gilman over the past couple of years. But man that comment at best highlighted that lack of social awareness. Don’t come with that liberal nonsense line. I’ve voted red for a decade just because you’re conservative doesn’t mean you have toss social grace out of the window. 

1 hour ago, Grecojones said:

I’ve come to love Gilman over the past couple of years. But man that comment at best highlighted that lack of social awareness. Don’t come with that liberal nonsense line. I’ve voted red for a decade just because you’re conservative doesn’t mean you have toss social grace out of the window. 

Exactly-it's a terrible slur, but because he hasn't made a similar comment in the years since, I think it was more an indication of ignorance than any type of hatred for the Japanese. Realistically, for somebody born in 1994, he is long removed from the period in which there was pervasive anti Japanese sentiment.  

In terms of his growth since the move to NLWC, it has been impressive.  I don't think there is an example of a finer coaching performance in Cael's career than the turn around of Gilman.  Obviously coaching two olympic champs is more impressive, but seeing Gilman transform over the course of a year (at the age of 26) from seemingly replaced on the ladder (people such as myself had Fix and Lee both surpassing him), to now an olympic medalist and world champion has been insane.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Gilman has matured.  It's evident that he has grown—and grown up—mentally, physically, and emotionally.  He is past that ripe age of 25 when the brain was previously developing.

Maybe it's a change of pace and place as well.  He's admitted as much. 

In any event, he gets to hang three medals on the X-mas tree this year: a bronze, a silver, and now a gold.  

Congratulations.  Now, go chop some wood and carry some water, Thomas G.  The next competition is around the corner.Chop Wood, Carry Water" Sticker by eloisehides | Redbubble