Grecojones

Jordan Burroughs 6x Word Champ and National Treasure

12 minutes ago, Grecojones said:

Absolute beast of an athlete. Gentlemen and ambassador. We’re lucky to have him.

This guy needs his own thread. How long till we see another like him?
*note*

It was 23 years between him and John Smith. 

7 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Yes!  I celebrate and salute JB - great accomplishment!

5 minutes ago, nom said:

The guy is a living, walking, in the moment legend.  So great on so many levels.  Such a role model.  We are blessed to be active fans during this period of time.

1 minute ago, BAC said:

Couldn't agree more.  Outstanding performance, legendary competitor, and great representative for the sport.

Amen to all of this

Smartest tactician, most clutch winner, and toughest most consistently unshakeable dude I have ever seen in any sport. A lot of brains and minds could go in that body and still come up empty for titles or never be able to make the comebacks, adversities, and adjustments he has. 

Edited by GoNotQuietly

Just incredible. 

Can't imagine us ever having someone his caliber who is also such an incredible person in my lifetime. 

Even wilder that he's about a second away from likely having two more golds. 

Yes JB is awesome. I thought he was a bit full of it with ALL I SEE IS GOLD handle.  Well, he has pretty much proved it.  He has medalled in each and every WC he has been in.  He did miss in 2016, but has been on it ever since.  Congratulations to him and his family. 

mspart

Edited by mspart

Just now, Plasmodium said:

Huge fan.   I think he looks rejuvenated since going to Philly, so he and Benjamin Button will be very interesting the next few years.  I'd like to see a younger guy step up as well but I don't see any candidates.

David Carr and Shane Griffith both look to be a few years away from challenging JB and KD.  Maybe Nolf or Hidlay?

35 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

David Carr and Shane Griffith both look to be a few years away from challenging JB and KD.  Maybe Nolf or Hidlay?

Carr looks to be the future. He's a level above Griffith and Hidlay, is on even ground with Deakin, and might not be too far off from Nolf already. Mekhi might not ever be the same - major shoulder injuries can be career-killers in this sport.

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Keegan O'T could be in the mix also - Was everyone else as surprised as I was at how well Iran's 2  2021 Jr World Champs (70 & 79KG) did in this Senior Tournament? One made the finals against JB and the other is in reparcharge and could come back for bronze tomorrow.

53 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Carr looks to be the future. He's a level above Griffith and Hidlay, is on even ground with Deakin, and might not be too far off from Nolf already. Mekhi might not ever be the same - major shoulder injuries can be career-killers in this sport.

Yup. Carr and Deakin are a pick 'em pretty much. 

Yes! Burroughs is an amazing wrestler and a great ambassador for the sport. His interview after this world title was one of the best I’ve seen. Do yourself a favor and check it out if you haven’t yet

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Carr May be the future but he is very far from Jason Nolf at the moment. Nolf destroyed him via tech just this summer. Wasn’t remotely close. And it’s not like Nolf is an old man. Nolf himself has a lot of improving  to do. 

Memorable performances for me over the years:

2011 gold — He was so new to freestyle that he said he had to study freestyle rules on the flight to Istanbul (IIRC)

2013 gold — competed with a broken ankle

2014 bronze — competed with a sprained MCL

2021 gold — competed at the age of 33, only nine days or so after the birth of his fourth child, and mere weeks after tearing his calf muscle — that’s some grit

After watching Mijain Lopez win an Olympic gold at the age of 39, I’m hoping JB can stay in top form through 2024.

Edited by Katie

16 minutes ago, Katie said:

Memorable performances for me over the years:

2011 gold — He was so new to freestyle that he said he had to study freestyle rules on the flight to Istanbul (IIRC)

2013 gold — competed with a broken ankle

2014 bronze — competed with a sprained MCL

2021 gold — competed at the age of 33, only nine days or so after the birth of his fourth child, and mere weeks after tearing his calf muscle — that’s some grit

After watching Mijain Lopez win an Olympic gold at the age of 39, I’m hoping JB can stay in top form through 2024.

Big Bruce kept it up 'till his 37th year. I don't know how to compare the wear and tear on a wrestler half the size of the other, but the heart is certainly there with JB! 

And to think back in 2011, Burroughs was a bright hope for USA freestyle wrestling.  United States just came out of a disappointing year in 2010 where we placed 22nd as a team with no medalist.  Everyone debating and pointing fingers on what had to be done in order to bring USA wrestling back from our low point.  Enter JB, the new kid on the block without no major freestyle experience yet beats the defending champ at 74kg.  Right there and then, we knew we just witnessed something special but never did I imagine he would be winning a world gold 10 years later.  Amazing.