Grecojones

Jordan Burroughs 6x Word Champ and National Treasure

1 hour ago, sisi said:

And to think back in 2011, Burroughs was a bright hope for USA freestyle wrestling.  United States just came out of a disappointing year in 2010 where we placed 22nd as a team with no medalist.  Everyone debating and pointing fingers on what had to be done in order to bring USA wrestling back from our low point.  Enter JB, the new kid on the block without no major freestyle experience yet beats the defending champ at 74kg.  Right there and then, we knew we just witnessed something special but never did I imagine he would be winning a world gold 10 years later.  Amazing.

Agree with most of your statement but I don’t think anyone thought JB had a chance against Tsargush. He did what most thought wasn’t going to happen. Then most thought he’d get beat before the finals. His mental toughness and coaching convinced him he could win. Manning deserves a lot of credit for starting this amazing run that JB has had. 

I mentioned this on another thread: I'm blown away by his elevated in-match work rate at 79. I'm not sure he'll ever score as much with the shorter build relative to the competition up a weight--but he looks like 2012 JB at 74 with his intensity and work rate. He seems so energized. 

16 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Huge fan.   I think he looks rejuvenated since going to Philly, so he and Benjamin Button will be very interesting the next few years.  I'd like to see a younger guy step up as well but I don't see any candidates.

I think it’s just as likely he gives 86 kg a go. The cut is hard. 

About 3 years ago, I started talking up Jordan Burroughs, not just as a great wrestler, but a great ambassador for our sport.  He has grown so much on many levels, in wrestling, technically, training wise, strategy wise and more.  But he has also grown so much behind a microphone, breaking down, not only his wrestling, but his day to day plans and his family life.  What a great role model, great human being .....very special!!!  Congratulations on #6, and #9 total World and Olympic Medals.  Not sure he'd want to pursue this....it would still take a while, but American Bruce Baumgartner holds the World Record for most World/Olympic medals with 13....just dangling it out there....lol.  Bruce has 5 Gold, 5 Silver and 3 Bronze.  Perhap my favorite interview with Jordan is "Coffee with Jordan Burroughs" from Flo......great example of what I'm talking about....https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6250629-coffee-with-jordan-burroughs

JB is rare among wrestlers in that he thinks, A LOT, about everything.  What's more, is he's willing to talk about it and let people know what he's thinking about.  In doing so, there were a few years there where from the outside it didn't seem like he was all-in, with talk of what's next, should he hang it up, can he still be the best, etc.  

Listening to him today, I don't get that sense at all, which might worry me a little bit if I was Kyle Dake.  Granted, by the time those trials roll around JB will be nearly 36 and Dake will just be hitting cadet eligibility.    

On 10/4/2021 at 10:38 PM, Grecojones said:

Didn’t realize the calf was torn and all the other obstacles and distractions in the background. Makes it even more amazing 

Great interview.  The quote at the end should be on a poster or something.   "It's not easy, but it's also not impossible."