wrestlingnerd

Sadulaev is the best I've ever seen

I don't think I'm getting caught in the moment. The Tank is just that good. He made the world finals with Olympic and World gold medalist Snyder look like a routine practice session. It was pretty much a perfect match. Took almost no risk, scored all the points, blocked everything Snyder had (which was nothing, since Sadulaev gave him nothing), and controlled both the pace of the match and where the wrestling occurred. 10 out of 10 in "mat generalship" (to borrow a boxing term).

He has the best mat generalship. He holds position the best. He can handfight the best even against a bigger brute like Snyder who has both a size and reach advantage. He has flawless technique. He has the cardio to go with anyone. He has hands down the best par terre. He can scramble the best. He is the best and after this match, I'm calling him the GOAT. The medals will follow, but even right now, he is the best wrestler I've ever seen. How do you beat him?

Everything old is new again...

Sad reminds me a lot of Makharbek Khadartsev.  Same size, positioning, counter wrestling ability.  Won everything from 1986-1992 (years 22-28).  Some of his luster may have been lost when when he got older and was 2nd best for the 1996 quad, but those were fantastic results for someone considered "over the hill". 

Sad definitely developed a few years earlier.  We'll see how he continues to progress.  The Iranian looks like a solid new challenger.

1 minute ago, scribe said:

Any particular reason for him being on the right side of the shot clock? I’m in a class and couldn’t view. 

He was the aggressor with head snaps and hand fighting, held center better in the first.

He was the aggressor again in the second forcing Snyder to run away from him after a snap to chest wrap situation.

Snyder changed angles a couple times and would reach in the direction a hip/thigh, but never committed. 

8 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

A counter-argument:

BSaitiev is my favorite wrestler ever, but he is not as "perfect" (as in mistake-free) a wrestler as Sadulaev. He was way more fun to watch, incredibly creative, a grandmaster of many more techniques than Sadulaev is a master of his key moves, but I am just so impressed with how Sadulaev completely owned Snyder and how Sadulaev keeps solid position every second of seemingly every match. He is so good at being so basic. Maybe having a few kids keeping him up at night will slow him down.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

29 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I don't think I'm getting caught in the moment. The Tank is just that good. He made the world finals with Olympic and World gold medalist Snyder look like a routine practice session. It was pretty much a perfect match. Took almost no risk, scored all the points, blocked everything Snyder had (which was nothing, since Sadulaev gave him nothing), and controlled both the pace of the match and where the wrestling occurred. 10 out of 10 in "mat generalship" (to borrow a boxing term).

He has the best mat generalship. He holds position the best. He can handfight the best even against a bigger brute like Snyder who has both a size and reach advantage. He has flawless technique. He has the cardio to go with anyone. He has hands down the best par terre. He can scramble the best. He is the best and after this match, I'm calling him the GOAT. The medals will follow, but even right now, he is the best wrestler I've ever seen. How do you beat him?

Terrific summary. 

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_the_Quakers said:

Everything old is new again...

Sad reminds me a lot of Makharbek Khadartsev.  Same size, positioning, counter wrestling ability.  Won everything from 1986-1992 (years 22-28).  Some of his luster may have been lost when when he got older and was 2nd best for the 1996 quad, but those were fantastic results for someone considered "over the hill". 

Sad definitely developed a few years earlier.  We'll see how he continues to progress.  The Iranian looks like a solid new challenger.

I have thought the same thing and bear in mind MK only started losing after the Soviet Union broke down along with their regimented training and who knows what else. One guy I know who wrestled him before and after told me he was super human before and merely human after. 

If we judge wrestling greatness in terms of being an almost perfect winning machine, it is tough to argue against him besides maybe...maybe.. competition level vs. the lighter GOATs. You have to get into esoteric arguments about technical repertoire, entertainment/gamesmanship, inventiveness and creativity which favor guys like Saitiev(s), Belaglasov (s), Jordanov, etc. to bump him down. Tough to rank guys like Medved and Yarygin who we weren't lucky enough to see lay waste to people like the others.

5 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

If we judge wrestling greatness in terms of being an almost perfect winning machine, it is tough to argue against him besides maybe...maybe.. competition level vs. the lighter GOATs. 

I agree that the lighter weights are more competitive. Bigger pool of talent, etc. Totally get it. I just think Snyder is special in his own right and Sadulaev made him look like a boring plodder. It was the wrestling equivalent of when Mayweather picked apart Canelo Alvarez except the Tank is the same age as Snyder, which makes it even more impressive.

How do you goat-o-phize about the relative goatness of Fadz, Saitiev, and Sad? I want to say that Sad is a tank and a god of pressure and position. But, Fadz was too, no? Dude could turn shallow single into a 5-point back arch. I want to say that Saitiev is quicksilver fluid. But, doesn't Sad's cartwheel from the whizzer show an equally deep arsenal and isn't it equally slick?

10 minutes ago, Shahin2000 said:

Guys I am a very casual wrestling observer.  I have heard from other Iranian sites that perhaps Reza Yazdani in his prime would have been a great match against Sad.  I'd like to hear your responses.

IMO:
Yazdani - No
Rasul Khadem - Interesting.  Not sure who would shoot first.
Jadidi - Jadidi beats Sad every time, of course.  ;-)

His career trajectory is looking a lot like Medved's 

An early loss. Followed by a loss because of weight class related issues (Medved was cutting down for team reasons to let a another stud heavy into the lineup, the draining finally caught up to him with aging) followed by a long unbeaten streak. 

One thing Sad will never have is the unbeatable aura. But most people don't really care as time passes. 

Yarygin was incredible. A Euro, Olympic, and worlds back to back where he won every match by pin. Yarygin was never that dedicated to wrestling so his medal count doesn't compare but longevity isn't everything. 

I think Reza Yazdani in 2011-2013 would be a tough matchup as he was only 5’8-5’9” tall and built like a tank. He smashed Varner. Varner drew into a weak side in the olympics and Yazdani had to go through Gadisov early on and was injured in the semis. Man that was a brutal side and when 96kg was the toughest weight by far. 97 is one of the worst weights now, probably the worst Olympic weight depth wise. 

When Snyder won it was because he got the previous era of mediocre conditioning guys tired such as Gadisov, Gazyumov and a undersized Sadulaev. Only difference is he realized all he had to do to beat Snyder is improve his conditioning and grow into the weight naturally and since then Snyder has had nothing for him.

6 minutes ago, HawkY said:

One thing Sad will never have is the unbeatable aura. But most people don't really care as time passes. 

Can you expand on that? I don't think he's looked vulnerable since 2017 - bored maybe, but not really at risk of losing.

8 minutes ago, denger said:

Can you expand on that? I don't think he's looked vulnerable since 2017 - bored maybe, but not really at risk of losing.

and his only losses prior were competing at russian nationals while junior eligible. since truly beginning his senior career, he's lost once.

14 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

I think Reza Yazdani in 2011-2013 would be a tough matchup as he was only 5’8-5’9” tall and built like a tank. He smashed Varner. Varner drew into a weak side in the olympics and Yazdani had to go through Gadisov early on and was injured in the semis. Man that was a brutal side and when 96kg was the toughest weight by far. 97 is one of the worst weights now, probably the worst Olympic weight depth wise. 

When Snyder won it was because he got the previous era of mediocre conditioning guys tired such as Gadisov, Gazyumov and a undersized Sadulaev. Only difference is he realized all he had to do to beat Snyder is improve his conditioning and grow into the weight naturally and since then Snyder has had nothing for him.

My pushback on Yazdani would be that I think Gadisov outwrestled him in that match, but faded and blew it at the end. When Sadulaev moved up to 97, Gadisov simply retired knowing he would never have the spot again and we heard Sadulaev was handling him easily in the room for a couple years prior.

Reza I always suspected as juicing in off season. Literally smashed people in off season then laid many eggs when it was roid testing time. Yes he won two worlds but also lost matches that just made you scratch your head. He never wrestled Varner at worlds or Olympics. So no on Reza Yazdani. Sajidov and Gatsalov beat the drums off of him like 10 times before he bumped up and started juicing in my opinion. So don't insult Sad with that comparison. The match I would want to see is Gatsalov in his prime even though it might be boring defensive one score match. They have wrestled near the end of Gatsalov's career with the edge going to Sad but he was old then. Also they were the exact same size-medium sized 211 guys. I would love to see Sad bump up and see if he could win Heavyweight like Gatsalov did. 

47 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

except the Tank is the same age as Snyder, which makes it even more impressive.

Well...maybe. ;)

NOt that age matters on this level of course.  It's so damned lucky that so many of Russia's wrestling greats were born on Russian Victory Day!

I understand your general point, but I (unfairly, maybe) am moved by the second point you address in a different post about the lighter weight classes having more talent.  Either way, Sadulaev is undoubtedly awesome.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Well...maybe. ;)

NOt that age matters on this level of course.  It's so damned lucky that so many of Russia's wrestling greats were born on Russian Victory Day!

I understand your general point, but I (unfairly, maybe) am moved by the second point you address in a different post about the lighter weight classes having more talent.  Either way, Sadulaev is undoubtedly awesome.

Yeah, he's like actually 27 right? I think I saw an original birth record floating around twitter once.

25 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

suspected as juicing

Remember: if we learned anything from the hero-worship of Lance Armstrong it's that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 

Edited by jackwebster