wrestlingnerd

Sadulaev is the best I've ever seen

36 minutes ago, denger said:

Can you expand on that? I don't think he's looked vulnerable since 2017 - bored maybe, but not really at risk of losing.

Yeah. All I meant was that he is not in the very small class of people who went undefeated in their entire senior careers. Watanabe did and you could argue Karelin functionally  did since both his losses were controversial technicalities. 

Sad has the Snyder loss and the Tech Fall at Aliyev at the senior level. Sad's losses weren't  mystery points or weird rules but true wrestling defeats. 

But a lot of people don't care about staying undefeated, they will say you left or started at the right time. 

Just now, jackwebster said:

Remember: if we learned anything from the hero-worship of Lance Armstrong it's that if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. 

Hate to beat up on the guy but dang his results were all over the place at the big events that had certified testing. Then in the off season after a year off he bumps up and is just mauling people. Stepping on their feet over and over again until they were exhausted and somehow he was not exhausted until the worlds and Olympics roll around and he all the sudden looks human and then would get hurt. ALL the signs were there with him. 

Undefeated is undoubtedly impressive, but the more the sport evolves, the less fair it is to compare athletes separated by several generations. Also, at some point, peak performance attained plus longevity (hardware) overtakes a streak. I think Sadulaev is right there with the best ever if he is not that already and appears to be separating himself from Snyder and others.

27 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I wonder how he's viewed in Russia.  Do they think he's the best ever?  Top 5?

hard to tell, people in genereally waiting for his 3 d Olimpic gold and then they would recognize him as equal to Saitiev.
Saitiev and Medved are goats for now. 
Beloglazov Khadartsev Fadzaev -(I guess forgot someone) - are tier below
Sadulaev current great wrestler who still didnt finish his way and he dont mentioning as those guys so far he continue wrestling 

22 minutes ago, HawkY said:

Yeah. All I meant was that he is not in the very small class of people who went undefeated in their entire senior careers. Watanabe did and you could argue Karelin functionally  did since both his losses were controversial technicalities. 

Sad has the Snyder loss and the Tech Fall at Aliyev at the senior level. Sad's losses weren't  mystery points or weird rules but true wrestling defeats. 

But a lot of people don't care about staying undefeated, they will say you left or started at the right time. 

I hear you on the bookends of a senior career. I'm happy to overlook the loss in 2013 when he was 17. His loss to Snyder was fair & square - both young studs over performing for their age and fearless toward any competition. Sure, he was growing into a larger weight class, but he sought that out.

46 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

Hate to beat up on the guy but dang his results were all over the place at the big events that had certified testing. Then in the off season after a year off he bumps up and is just mauling people. Stepping on their feet over and over again until they were exhausted and somehow he was not exhausted until the worlds and Olympics roll around and he all the sudden looks human and then would get hurt. ALL the signs were there with him. 

The most striking PED fall-off I remember was that Bolt guy. He just kicked the piss out of Snyder at ? (some tournament . . . I can't remember) and then that was that.

Edited by jackwebster
Clarification

14 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Correct. 

Some people come back from getting caught, fix their rep, and win world medals. Bolt disappeared overnight. He was a flash in the pan.

Sad will probably overtake Saitiev, but let’s just let him do it first before crowning him. Saitiev was just as feared/dominant in his prime.

Here’s a question though: what is the overall Mount Rushmore of freestyle wrestling? Who joins Sad and Saitiev? 

2 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

If we judge wrestling greatness in terms of being an almost perfect winning machine, it is tough to argue against him besides maybe...maybe.. competition level vs. the lighter GOATs. You have to get into esoteric arguments about technical repertoire, entertainment/gamesmanship, inventiveness and creativity which favor guys like Saitiev(s), Belaglasov (s), Jordanov, etc. to bump him down. Tough to rank guys like Medved and Yarygin who we weren't lucky enough to see lay waste to people like the others.

There WAS a video on the forum here where Yarygin is laying waste to Russ Hellickson.  I think he would give Sadulaev everything he ever wanted. Not sure what happened to the video. Scoring and turns with EXTREME PREJUDICE!

4 minutes ago, BadgerMon said:

There WAS a video on the forum here where Yarygin is laying waste to Russ Hellickson.  I think he would give Sadulaev everything he ever wanted. Not sure what happened to the video. Scoring and turns with EXTREME PREJUDICE!

I've seen that video too. He made Helickson look like a child. How he managed to flip Helickson to his back from a lying flat position for the pin. 

Some people come back from getting caught, fix their rep, and win world medals. Bolt disappeared overnight. He was a flash in the pan.

Sad will probably overtake Saitiev, but let’s just let him do it first before crowning him. Saitiev was just as feared/dominant in his prime.

Here’s a question though: what is the overall Mount Rushmore of freestyle wrestling? Who joins Sad and Saitiev? 

Medved for sure especially since he's the most accomplished freestyle wrestler ever.

Here's some more decent guys:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_and_Olympic_Champions_in_men%27s_freestyle_wrestling

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Russia really should have sent a long in the tooth Gatsalov in 2016 even losing to Bolt who was roided up. I mean it was a ton of 35 year old guys like Yazdani, Gazyumov, Ibragimov, Saritov, Andriytsev and a young Snyder. Looking at it now it makes sense that Snyder could handle a bunch of guys cardio wise who weren’t in great shape in there primes let alone 31-35 years old.

Edited by Lunaticfringe

6 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

I think Reza Yazdani in 2011-2013 would be a tough matchup as he was only 5’8-5’9” tall and built like a tank. He smashed Varner. Varner drew into a weak side in the olympics and Yazdani had to go through Gadisov early on and was injured in the semis. Man that was a brutal side and when 96kg was the toughest weight by far. 97 is one of the worst weights now, probably the worst Olympic weight depth wise. 

When Snyder won it was because he got the previous era of mediocre conditioning guys tired such as Gadisov, Gazyumov and a undersized Sadulaev. Only difference is he realized all he had to do to beat Snyder is improve his conditioning and grow into the weight naturally and since then Snyder has had nothing for him.

I think that foot stomp would be a nice addition to Snyder's repertoire.  Bring him to Happy Valley for some of the finger points!

6 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

I think Reza Yazdani in 2011-2013 would be a tough matchup as he was only 5’8-5’9” tall and built like a tank. He smashed Varner. Varner drew into a weak side in the olympics and Yazdani had to go through Gadisov early on and was injured in the semis. Man that was a brutal side and when 96kg was the toughest weight by far. 97 is one of the worst weights now, probably the worst Olympic weight depth wise. 

When Snyder won it was because he got the previous era of mediocre conditioning guys tired such as Gadisov, Gazyumov and a undersized Sadulaev. Only difference is he realized all he had to do to beat Snyder is improve his conditioning and grow into the weight naturally and since then Snyder has had nothing for him.

I think that foot stomp would be a nice addition to Snyder's repertoire.  Bring him to Happy Valley for some of the finger points!

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

Wasn't there some video of him doing this exact thing a couple of years ago?

6 hours ago, Gio said:

hard to tell, people in genereally waiting for his 3 d Olimpic gold and then they would recognize him as equal to Saitiev.
Saitiev and Medved are goats for now. 
Beloglazov Khadartsev Fadzaev -(I guess forgot someone) - are tier below
Sadulaev current great wrestler who still didnt finish his way and he dont mentioning as those guys so far he continue wrestling 

Damn, they hold the boycotted '84 Olympics against Sergei and Arsen?!?

The most striking PED fall-off I remember was that Bolt guy. He just kicked the piss out of Snyder at ? (some tournament . . . I can't remember) and then that was that.

I still can not think about the rise and fall of Boltyukaev without laughing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk